Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to say on psych evaluation?

I have my psych eval scheduled for next month. It's the last stage and I really want to pass, so I could get a date for the surgery. Any tips on what to say or what not to say? I have a history of depression and I used various SSRIs in the past, and I fear that it might affect the psychiatrist's decision.

Any tips?

You need to be honest. They are there to help you along the way, and while getting a surgery date is top priority, protecting your mental health along this journey should be your utmost concern. This is not easy, if you have coping mechanisms in place for depression, food mourning, and other issues that are related to the emotional and mental aspect of this lifestyle change and surgery then you should be good.

My number 1 tip is to be honest, discuss your concerns, and do not think that getting clearance is more important than your mental health. Being skinny doesn't fix our issues. Being stripped of a big comforter, being unable to eat is not pleasant if you are an emotional/stress eater, there are plenty of posters out here that express they never realized how draining this journey is mentally. Plus, the hormonal fluxes that most of us experience post-op can easily throw you into a tailspin of emotions and depression.

You'll more than likely take a multiple choice, or true or false questionnaire consisting of several hundred questions, the consult with the psych is to evaluate how mentally and emotionally prepared you to face the "slap you in the head" reality of WLS and how compliant you will be post-op.

Just be honest. I have a number of friends who have had weight loss surgery who have been/are being treated for depression. It wasn't an issue for them. I had my exam a month ago, and I also wondered about the right thing to say. I decided on just being myself as the psychiatrist would probably see through anything else.

I have my psych eval scheduled for next month. It's the last stage and I really want to pass, so I could get a date for the surgery. Any tips on what to say or what not to say? I have a history of depression and I used various SSRIs in the past, and I fear that it might affect the psychiatrist's decision.

Any tips?

I agree with the other respondents - be honest. If the counselor that meets with you is worth their salt, they can tell if you are lying, and I think that would be more damaging than anything truthful you could say to them. My exam didn't include the hundred of multiple choice questionairre (most likely the MMPI test), my counselor just talked to me after having me fill out a six page questionaire (a history, not multiple choice). The one thing I remember saying to her was that I didn't expect getting sleeved was going to make me model-thin, or make all of the problems in my life magically go away. I more view the procedure as a tool to help me get more healthy, so I can have an easier time doing the things I enjoy. I think they want to identify what your expectations are, and how you see yourself living with the sleeve.

Good luck - don't worry - those counselors really are on your side to help you.

Not only have I been on anxiety meds for years, I sobbed like a lunatic during the psch eval and I still passed!!! LOL Be honest and talk about your issues to food and your desire to get healthy!!! :rolleyes:

Hello Estella;

Echoing the statements made. Be honest. Tell them about your support system after surgery. Why do you want the sleeve? Does surgeon have free support groups you can attend and would you be willing to go? Weight loss via sleeve is not magic, but a commitment with an real opportunity for being physically healthy. Are you willing to follow surgeon diet guidelines which are so very different from how you eat now? Remember to take a big breathe and smile before your appointment.

I am six months out, feeling great, at my personal goal (75+ lbs lost) and still struggle at times with food. Sometimes I forget that I have been sleeve and put mounds of food on my plate. Sometimes I forget to take my suppliments...and feel it. I have no regrets and every moment of concern was worth it.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Not only have I been on anxiety meds for years, I sobbed like a lunatic during the psch eval and I still passed!!! LOL Be honest and talk about your issues to food and your desire to get healthy!!! :rolleyes:

Hehe, you made me giggle. I will probably sob too, I'm just that type of person.

Someone here suggested that I'd tell the psychiatrist about post-op support network. Thing is I have none. My family is not at all supportive and I don't want to go to weekly meetings - they cost a small fortune here and I'm unemployed. Being a old-timer on the Internet, forums and online groups have always felt like my natural habitat, do you think that's a good enough substitute?

Thanks.

You should be honest. I was before, during and am still being treated for anxiety disorder with panic and depression. I'm on 3 medications. My therapist knows this and it went in my evaluation. They're not looking for perfection, but for honesty and to get to know you.

They just need to know if you understand that this doesn't fix the issues. They want to know why you over eat, and if you will need to continue therapy to deal with the drastic way your life changes when the weight comes off. I'm still in therapy with the therapist that did my baritriac evalutation because I can talk to her about how scary the sudden attention is, and when I feel like I don't fit in my new body.

I think they're mainly looking for you not having a history of an eating disorder, that you're of sound mind to make this decision about surgery (as opposed to being in a manic state and doing it on impulse) and to make sure that any psychological problems aren't so serious that fully understand what you're going to do be doing to your body and that you won't regret it. Also, if you'll be complaint post op, otherwise why do it. They're not trying to trick you. It's pretty straight forward. The questionaire is long, boring and repeditive!

Good luck!

I have history of depression too. It's not a problem

unless it is not being treated.

I said I was currently on lexapro and also took alprazalam as needed for anxiety and that I responded well to both. It wasn't a problem. If you have an untreated issue like depression they might want you to see a doctor or pyschologist. You have a history of taking ssri's and I assume being helped by them so I don't see any issue there.

Hehe, you made me giggle. I will probably sob too, I'm just that type of person.

Someone here suggested that I'd tell the psychiatrist about post-op support network. Thing is I have none. My family is not at all supportive and I don't want to go to weekly meetings - they cost a small fortune here and I'm unemployed. Being a old-timer on the Internet, forums and online groups have always felt like my natural habitat, do you think that's a good enough substitute?

Thanks.

Well, I cried during mine too, I was so excited at the prospect of wieght loss surgery via the sleeve. Do you have anyone who will help you after sugery? A friend perhaps rather than a relative? Who is driving you home from hospital? If not, you have us here and can tell pysch that you have a group of people who are excited for you and that some of us have been sleeved within last year while others are going in same time as you. In addition, there are surgeons who offer free support for WLS patients even if they did not do surgery with them. Best wishes!

Nope. No one to support me. My mother does nothing but criticize me for being overweight and not adhering to the 1001 diets I tried. I didn't tell my friends and I rather not.

The bus is driving me home from the hospital.

Thank you! You and the others here have been a lot more helpful than any doctor I talked to so far.

I had my psych eval YESTERDAY and it went great. I was honest about everything! I have been on anxiety meds for years and she said to be sure to keep taking them. Put it all out there!