Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved 3 days ago and feeling terrible.

Well I was sleeved on march 15. The first night was horrible. I was vomiting, had an allergic reaction to the morphine, and could barley get up to walk. Today is my 3 rd day out. I had to stay in the hospital for 2 days, because I could not keep anything down. I do not have a leak. Today has been really hard, I am taking the liquid hydrocodone mixed with a little juice because it taste so nasty. It does help with the abdominal pain. I have been walking as instructed and trying my best to get in the fluids and Protein (not easy to do). I have bad neck pain that stays regardless of pain meds. Everyone says it's gets easier, I hope this is true because right now I have a bad case of "what in the he'll have I done to myself". I am not hungry, but at the same time want so badly to have real food. Of course I will not steer from my instructions from the Dr, but this is so much harder than any diet I have ever been on. For those people who say that WLS is the easy way out, well they couldn't be me wrong. I could really use some words of wisdom from the experienced sleevers out there.

Stick with it, because YES "it gets better". I had to fly back home my third day and was back to work my fourth so you can push through this.

Day 4 was a turning point day for me. Just keep plugging along, it really does get easier.

Do you have access to a heating pad? It may help with tummy, shoulder, and neck pain.

It does get better. My neck was killing me and the heating pad does help. Don't worry too much about getting Protein in now, but keep drinking fluids and walking. You will feel better soon.

I think my turning point was on day 4 or 5. I didn't have neck pain but I had severe pain in my left shoulder from the gas used during surgery. Once that pain subsided and I got to walking about the house more I started to feel better. Be sure to drink (sip) lots of Water and try to drink a Protein shake. I had a drain and once that came out a week after surgery I felt 200 times better.

OH - warning on the liquid hydrocodone. Try no to rely on it too much throughout the day because it can constipate you and that can make you even more uncomfortable. I took it two or three times a day for the first four days and then stopped.

Hang in there. You'll start to feel better soon.

You are close to your turn-around time. The morphine allergy did set you back so you really need to sip, sip, sip. Getting at least 64 oz. of liquid will help a lot. The neck pain is likely sitll from the gas but should resolve soon. Keep wakling as it will actually help you need less pain medication. Be sure to use pain meds for pain, not discomfort. The sooner you are off of it the better. I was sleeved on March 10 and had a bad third and fourth day, even without complications. I promise, it will get better! hang in there!

Skinnyagain, i want to hug your NECK! I didn't get to feeling right until around day 6 or 7, and i TOTALLY feel your words in your post. They mirror mine exactly at the time.

Today was the first day I was able to get up without pain. I ran a bunch of errands and even did 30 minutes on the treadmill (walking fast).

It DOES get better, but the first few days seem to take forever.

Lots of love!!!!

It will get better I promise. This will be a distant memory soon and you will get to the place where you know it was the best gift you ever gave yourself. The morphine allergy was a tough break. I went home early (day2) because i couldnt get good rest at the hospital because my room was right across from the nurses station. Losing the morphine definitely made a negative difference in the pain relief (morphine vs vicodin). I'm sorry you are hurting. Just try and find a comfortable position. Mine was propped up on pillows. I had every pillow in the house and slept that way for a couple of days. The day they took the drain tube out everything changed.the docs didn't seem to think it was related but I KNOW it made a big difference in my comfort.

I was sleeved the same day as you and my secrets are gasx. Strips, heating pad, warm showers with the Water stream on your left side, walking, and tiny sips. It hasn't been all roses buy the waters/ gas have cleared. Hang in there chicky

IT WILL GET BETTER!!! You have a few more days. Each day you will wake up and feel better. Call you doctor and ask if you can take dilaudid 4mg. They are tiny pills and okay to swallow. I took them around the clock the first few days and just at night the next few days. After the first week, I didn't really need them. I had some pain from teh drain but not too bad.

YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS!! Your regrets are perfectly natural! ((((((HUGS)))))))

Hi there - I see that you posted yesterday - how are you doing today? I hope you're feeling a bit better and that each day is better than the last.

You've taken a brave step toward a better future - I have a feeling that you'll be very glad in a couple of months. Take care.

UPDATE: well the pain has gotten a lot better, however I have a burning pain coming from the left side incision. I called the dr and he said it sounded like I pulled an internal stitch lose when I was coughing. He said it should be fine and to just baby it. My newest problem is this only liquid thing. I don't know about anyone else, but I am starving, I want so badly to have real food. I know it is totally out of the question, but my dr makes us do 3 weeks of liquid, meaning if it does not pour through a strainer you can not have it. On the 4 th week he allows more of a creamy/ mushy consistency. REALLY!!!!!!!!! I can not have real food until 5 weeks from now. I don't know if this is going to be possible. Although my family is very respectful of the fact I can't eat what they are, it does not change the fact that it is there and I want it. I have tried to sip at a Protein Shake to help me when I start craving things really bad, but it has not helped with wanting to bite into a sandwich and chew.. Does this get better? Has anyone else had this issue.

Hugs! I know it is hard those first few days. The sleeve is so worth it though!!!

When they moved me to my room after surgery, the TV was on the food Channel. Really? The first week I noticed there were a lot of food commercials. Head hunger - you know you can't eat it but you really crave it. After a while, I turned on music and read - a lot.

My surgeon allowed full liquids - including no fruit yogurt (banana and vanilla were my friends), sugar free fudgesicles, popsicles, Jello pudding and Gelatin. I craved salty things.

I'm sorry you're having a rough time - it may seem like a long time but you'll get through it. Keep your spirits up!

Thanks. I feel like I am a big baby. It is getting better and I will push forward. There is a great thing at the end of this tough road. " a healthier me" so I will suck it up and keep going. Like I said before this is harder than any diet I have ever been on. Thanks to all for the support. You guys are great.