Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

best way to break a stall?

I'm over 2 months out and have already stalled for a week and a half now.... I know that's not long but I want to break it before it last longer. What's the best solution you have for breaking a stall?

Thanks!

The best way to break any stall is to shake things up. Whether it be caloric intake, types of foods you're eating (more Proteins, less carbs), drinking more Water (I get in about 100 oz per day - pure water) and shaking up your workout routine.

The workouts, you don't necessarily need to do more - just change them up. Your body gets used to doing the same things day in and day out. However if none of these things work you might have to try something more involved, like checking your daily fat content (too much is bad, but on low carb too little is bad too), food logging to find little culprits you weren't noticing before, or you will just have to "ride it out". Sometimes we just stall. The only thing we can do is wait for the Lbs to start dropping again. Most of us lose in "stair steps". It is what it is.

Good luck!!

I had a 10 day stall earlier this month and I went food shopping and bought all different kinds of food. The scale started to move again. I also had fallen off the journaling wagon, and I can tell you that as soon as I started journaling, the scale began to move again!!!

I'm glad you posted this. I'm at 8 weeks and have hit a stall, too. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried. Those old feelings of "this won't work" are creeping up. How can it be that for the last week and a half, I've eaten between 800-1100 calories a day and have not lost a lb?? I lost .4 this week and the next day I stepped on the scale and it said I gained 2. NO SENSE! I'm just afraid my body is rebelling against me and here I am at my typical 40 lb weightloss and my body refuses to do anymore. It's always been this way. These are not happy days for me. My brain tells me that it will work, my heart is thinking otherwise.

Sassy;

Congrats on being willing to shake things up. I read of those who do not want to deviate even slightly from surgeons diet. Happy to hear of your success!

I was on the dreaded 3rd week stall. I kicked my calories up a bit for a couple of days and increased my exercise and bam my weight started to come off again.

thanks, I changed things up, ate more Protein and fat and lost 2 pounds in three days!

The funny thing is, you'll never know if that was the reason, or if your body was simply ready to drop some more :-)

I generally suggest riding it out (especially this early). For me, a lot of the changes that I made had no effect. I thought lower carbs helped, but it only helped that one time and never again. I am pretty sure it was just a coincidence. Next time I stalled, it broke after a weekend of really bad eating (pizza, Cookies etc.) - and that brought me to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what I eat. Just sit it out, and try not to get too aggravated. Being upset and pissed off just adds to the injury, so just tell yourself that if you do everything right (eat your Protein, log food and eat within your calories (max of 900 cals), drink enough Water, take your Vitamins, exercise some), the stall will break!

I just lost 1.8 pounds over the weekend, which is never my "good time" because I snack more. My body has it's own mind and doesn't seem to care too much what I do as long as I stay within certain guidelines (see above).

It may be different once you are 6, 10, 12 months out...

There are very few people who have major stalls that don't break, and I hope that is not you!

And of course, everyone is different :-)

I am also having trouble with a long stall! I am only 3 weeks post-op and I am still at the same weight that I was 1 week after surgery. It's hard because my husband, who had a roux-n-y said that I am eating too much. I am hardly eating at all!

I started week 3 post op today with a 20 minute walk on a treadmill at my gym. I also had a wheat toast with some Peanut Butter on it, which I haven't even tried since surgery. I am hoping to have a good meat Protein with some fresh veggies for lunch. Plus I am trying so hard to drink Water. I know that I am not getting enough in, but I get closer each day!

If I continue to stall, I am not sure what I will do. I really had hoped to have lost more by now. It is really frustrating! If anyone has some good advice, I will gladly take it! It is really nice to know that I am not alone on this journey!

The funny thing is, you'll never know if that was the reason, or if your body was simply ready to drop some more :-)

I generally suggest riding it out (especially this early). For me, a lot of the changes that I made had no effect. I thought lower carbs helped, but it only helped that one time and never again. I am pretty sure it was just a coincidence. Next time I stalled, it broke after a weekend of really bad eating (pizza, Cookies etc.) - and that brought me to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what I eat. Just sit it out, and try not to get too aggravated. Being upset and pissed off just adds to the injury, so just tell yourself that if you do everything right (eat your Protein, log food and eat within your calories (max of 900 cals), drink enough Water, take your Vitamins, exercise some), the stall will break!

I just lost 1.8 pounds over the weekend, which is never my "good time" because I snack more. My body has it's own mind and doesn't seem to care too much what I do as long as I stay within certain guidelines (see above).

It may be different once you are 6, 10, 12 months out...

There are very few people who have major stalls that don't break, and I hope that is not you!

And of course, everyone is different :-)

I think this is true too... as long as you are in some reasonable guidelines, your weight will go down eventually.

I have been stalled even gaining weight over 6 months. . . well this is heartbreaking and very maddening especially after spending so much money. . . but i didn't give up, i maintained my 1 time per week weigh in and continued to do what i do. . . guess what this weekend i just did my every day thing, and today i came to work and weighed myself. . . i had lost 6 lbs over the weekend. . . want to hear about a high! I am so happy . . . maybe i'm back to losing now again after 6 months. . . wow what a relief! :lol:

I have been stalled even gaining weight over 6 months. . . well this is heartbreaking and very maddening especially after spending so much money. . . but i didn't give up, i maintained my 1 time per week weigh in and continued to do what i do. . . guess what this weekend i just did my every day thing, and today i came to work and weighed myself. . . i had lost 6 lbs over the weekend. . . want to hear about a high! I am so happy . . . maybe i'm back to losing now again after 6 months. . . wow what a relief! :lol:

fantastic news!

Oh MIni... you have cheered me up no end,... excellent news x