Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all!

I am 4 weeks post-op and I LOVE my sleeve. It takes some getting used to but once I figured things out it seems to be going pretty well. If given a choice I would choose this option over and over again. I think it takes a while before you get your energy level back to where it was but everyday gets better and better. I think we just need to give our body the chance to recuperate after all this is still major surgery.

I just had to share something that happened to me today - need to vent I guess. I am 56 years old and was a chubby child, and always overweight most of my teen and adult years. I don't know about anyone elses experiences but I have been discrimated agains for my weight many many times as a child, teen, and even as an older adult.

Many months ago before I started this weightloss journey I had a co-worker who embarassed me in the breakroom at work by pointing out to 3 other co-workers at a table behind me that she couldn't sit with them because obviously there was not enough room between my chair and the chair behind me that she would have to sit somewhere else. Now I heard this with my own ears. Talk about discrimination! I figured hey I know I am a big woman 300 #'s at that time but I sure thought they could look at me and see I was a big mama, I didn't need anyone to point that fact out Right?

But what I want to know is how come ignorant people like that can be so quick to point out the negatives but when a person does something positive to improve their health and way of life they don't say anything. Since that time I have lost almost 100 #'s and I see this same co-worker after returning to work, I say Hi and she never even acknowledges my weightloss while other co-workers are saying wow you look great!

Go figure I guess. But what I figure is Karma will get her someday!! LOLS.

Thanks for listening just needed to get this off my chest I guess.

Good for you. I am very happy that you are doing so well and don't worry about that co-worker, she is just plain ignorant. The problem is that some people don't realize how it feels to be overweight and when they make comments its because they are not educated about it, plus who would want to be friends with anyone like that. I look at it like this, if they are your friends before they will continue to be your friend and you don't need their blessing. My youngest daughter goes through this too (she is 9) and I tell her that everyone in this world has some kind of imperfection whether its our weight, acne, too skinny, bad hair...I could go on and on. So we all got something, its just others are quick to judge instead of looking in the mirror. Well anyways sorry I had to vent on this too but again CONGRATS GIRL you are doing wonderful.

First of all congratulations on your 100 lbs weight loss!

Did you really expect her to say something nice??? Now she's losing the only reason she had to criticise you, she'll have to find something else to do... I am sure she's annoyed now that she's not going to be the only skinny lady in the office! And that's a great reward for you!

I know I am mean, but I'd be just happy :devil_smile:... The fact that she isn't saying anything just shows her annoyance!

Many congrats on your success thus far, and you're correct, the karma wheel will spin back her way one day. She sounds like a miserable person, and couldn't be happy for anyone because she's not happy with herself.

Keep rockin' your sleeve ! ! !

Anyone who would make fat slurs right out loud to someone, in front of colleagues, just to feel superior at someone else's expense, clearly has some major insecurities and self-image issues of her own. Now that you're getting thinner, that's very threatening to her as well. I would just put her on permanent ignore, casually smiling and saying hi, but keeping it very surface-level, especially as it's a workplace relationship.

It's good to also always remember that there are fat-phobic people, who are truly irrational about their own fat hatred.

Congrats on th weight loss!! SO did u lose all of the 100lbs post-op or did u lose majority of it pre-op ?

I lost 92 #'s pre-op because I was doing the Medifast food program first. It really worked well but not something I would like to do for the long haul.

Misery loves company that's what I think... Some can't stand to see others happy or making positive changes because they have their own problems. People also use statements and belittlement to make themselves feel better.

Congratulations on your weightloss focus on that and the way you feel... Soak in all the positive comments and leave the negative one's out... You're well on your way to the new you!

Good for you. I am very happy that you are doing so well and don't worry about that co-worker, she is just plain ignorant. The problem is that some people don't realize how it feels to be overweight and when they make comments its because they are not educated about it, plus who would want to be friends with anyone like that. I look at it like this, if they are your friends before they will continue to be your friend and you don't need their blessing. My youngest daughter goes through this too (she is 9) and I tell her that everyone in this world has some kind of imperfection whether its our weight, acne, too skinny, bad hair...I could go on and on. So we all got something, its just others are quick to judge instead of looking in the mirror. Well anyways sorry I had to vent on this too but again CONGRATS GIRL you are doing wonderful.

Thanks Tammy for the words of encouragement made me feel good just to know other people understand what I was going through. When I was grade school age kids picked on me something fierce even the teaachers would ask just tell me who's being so mean to you? I didn't tell though cuz I knew the teasing and ridiculing would just get so much worse.

Sorry to hear your 9 yr. old has to go through that - I was hoping that in this day and age that techers would finally watch for this kinda thing happening.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

First of all congratulations on your 100 lbs weight loss!

Did you really expect her to say something nice??? Now she's losing the only reason she had to criticise you, she'll have to find something else to do... I am sure she's annoyed now that she's not going to be the only skinny lady in the office! And that's a great reward for you!

I know I am mean, but I'd be just happy :devil_smile:... The fact that she isn't saying anything just shows her annoyance!

Bilka thanks for your comment made me feel better to know that she may actually be annoyed!!! :lol:

Anyone who would make fat slurs right out loud to someone, in front of colleagues, just to feel superior at someone else's expense, clearly has some major insecurities and self-image issues of her own. Now that you're getting thinner, that's very threatening to her as well. I would just put her on permanent ignore, casually smiling and saying hi, but keeping it very surface-level, especially as it's a workplace relationship.

It's good to also always remember that there are fat-phobic people, who are truly irrational about their own fat hatred.

Swizzly! Your comment is soo true. She is in her middle to late 50's and is always trying to look 30. Guess she may be a little insecure at that.

I never thought about it like that. Thanks for your response.

Misery loves company that's what I think... Some can't stand to see others happy or making positive changes because they have their own problems. People also use statements and belittlement to make themselves feel better.

Congratulations on your weightloss focus on that and the way you feel... Soak in all the positive comments and leave the negative one's out... You're well on your way to the new you!

Used2b575 Thanks for your words of wisdom you made me feel lots better. But I also looked at your weight ticker and you are doing absolutely amazingly yourself. Congratualtions to you also!!:D

Many congrats on your success thus far, and you're correct, the karma wheel will spin back her way one day. She sounds like a miserable person, and couldn't be happy for anyone because she's not happy with herself.

Thanks Tiffykins you are a real inspiration to anyone who reads the posts on this site or is a member on VST. I love to read your posts. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I LOVE my SLEEVE!!

Congrats on your weight loss!! I am also 4 weeks post op. I started at 182 and now i'm down to 158!!

As far as your co-worker goes.. you already got it.. KARMA will get her... also, She sounds like she's "hating" on you... another term for Jealousy.

I had an incident with my older sis. She has always been the skinny pretty smart one in our family.. I've always been the black sheep .. LITERALLY. Anyways, I went to visit her last week and her 17 yr old daughter was AMAZED how skinny and diffrent I'm looking.. my niece only had wonderful compliments for me... Then my sister came down and said... "You're still fat....What, Your not skinny yet so don't even bother to ask if you can borrow clothes!"

Her daughter and I were totally shocked at her negative reaction towards me...but I kept it cool.. kinda laughed it off... but deep inside. I kinda got the feeling that she was irritated with Everyone in our family talking about how great I look.

So I told myself she's just hating.. and I shouldn't play into her negativity. I've been blessed with this new life- I'm not gonna let anything get me down ;)

Well just wanted to share my thoughts, again 100lbs is AWESOME!! YOU GO GIRL!! AND KEEP YA HEAD UP :)

Blow off the mean lady with dignity and grace. Simply smile, greet, and go on with your positive self. And congratulations to you!