Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

looking for Dr. in Washington DC area

I'm looking for a Dr. in the Washington DC area to do the surgery. I have Aetna insurance. I'm not having any luck finding a Dr. that does the sleeve, if you know of one or have been to one I would like to know what you think of the Dr.

I don't know about DC, but if you want to drive about an hour there are 3 hospitals in Baltimore that do the sleeve and take your insurance. Johns Hopkins, Johns Hopkins Bayview and GBMC. They are the 3 that I know about. I had mine done at GBMC, we're just up the beltway from DC. If you can't find a doc there, I suggest coming up here to see if you can it done. It's definitely worth it. Dr.'s Liao & Mo at GBMC are awesome!

Good luck!

Dr. Brian Long at Sibley is fantastic. The office is incredibly supportive and they are truly a one-stop shop! They have someone who will figure out all your insurance issues for you. They hold monthly seminars at the hospital.

GW is having their seminar on Thursday, March 17 . Maybe you can call and ask if they take Atena or attend the seminar and ask. I met with Dr. Long but want to see what going on at GW.

I don't know about DC, but if you want to drive about an hour there are 3 hospitals in Baltimore that do the sleeve and take your insurance. Johns Hopkins, Johns Hopkins Bayview and GBMC. They are the 3 that I know about. I had mine done at GBMC, we're just up the beltway from DC. If you can't find a doc there, I suggest coming up here to see if you can it done. It's definitely worth it. Dr.'s Liao & Mo at GBMC are awesome!

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I did some research and I did come across Dr. Liao and he was having a seminar on the 16th and the 19th and does take my insurance. I do not have on record unfortunately with any Dr.'s , gym's etc. that my BMI was over 35 at any time for the last 2 years even though at times its was, I think my insurance is going to require it. The co-morbidites I have a few of them but BP is under control with meds, I have a heart problem, (thanks to phen-fen) but not the one they list, I have had 3 sleep studies done but they say I don't really have sleep apnea, but I do have a sleep problem for the last 20+ years that no one can figure out, and I snore terribly too.

I was going to attend the one on the 16th, thinking I had support from my husband to look into this and if I even qualify according to my insurance. After telling him that I needed to go to Baltimore and that our insurance was going to be the one that either would say I did have the BMI required or not, he says something like well this probably won't work either. I said what do you mean ? He said the weight loss pills never worked either so this probably won't either. Well I was crushed, he has no hope in me or the procedure so I have let my plans for seeing if I can even have this done go for the time being.

Sandi

from southern Maryland

St. Agnes Hospital (a center of excellence) in Baltimore has 3 doctors that perform WLS surgery including the sleeve. Each doctor has seminars once a month. Not sure if they accept your insurance but they accept several. May be worth looking in to.

Thanks for the info. I did some research and I did come across Dr. Liao and he was having a seminar on the 16th and the 19th and does take my insurance. I do not have on record unfortunately with any Dr.'s , gym's etc. that my BMI was over 35 at any time for the last 2 years even though at times its was, I think my insurance is going to require it. The co-morbidites I have a few of them but BP is under control with meds, I have a heart problem, (thanks to phen-fen) but not the one they list, I have had 3 sleep studies done but they say I don't really have sleep apnea, but I do have a sleep problem for the last 20+ years that no one can figure out, and I snore terribly too.

I was going to attend the one on the 16th, thinking I had support from my husband to look into this and if I even qualify according to my insurance. After telling him that I needed to go to Baltimore and that our insurance was going to be the one that either would say I did have the BMI required or not, he says something like well this probably won't work either. I said what do you mean ? He said the weight loss pills never worked either so this probably won't either. Well I was crushed, he has no hope in me or the procedure so I have let my plans for seeing if I can even have this done go for the time being.

Sandi

from southern Maryland

Sandi

from southern Maryland

Don't get discouraged. My sleep study showed that I didn't have sleep apnia. I only had a get a letter from my PCP showing my weight from 5 random appointments from 5 different years. My BMI was on 40, and I NO comorbidity symptoms. My insurance still paid for the surgery and Dr. Liao's office still took me as a patient. They treat each person on a case by case basis. As long as you are at least 100 pounds overweight or have a BMI of 40 or more, they will work with you. You still have to do all the stuff your insurance says, but don't let that discourage you. I didn't think they would say yes, either, but my insurance said yes on the first try as soon as they submitted all the paperwork. The office is great on creating an airtight file before they submit it. You have a heartproblem and a history of failed diets, that alone is enough for Dr. Liao to take your case. Give his office a call. It can't hurt!

Don't let your husband discourage you either. You need to do this for YOU, not for him. It would be great if he were in your corner,but sometimes you have to live for you. It's your health and your life.

Good luck!

You can also look into Bluepoint Surgical. Check out their web site because they have offices in Fairfax think and definitely Woodbridge. Dr Halmi and staff are wonderful! They are also a center of excellence or bariatrics. They have a support group meeting every month at the hosptials. I highly recommend them.

I just saw this post - I had surgery with BluePoint Surgical Group in Fairfax.. they were great!!!!

I'm so glad that someone had surgery with BluePoint Surgical Group. I'm working through the 3 month requirement for insurance and hope to get sleeved in September by Dr. Halmi. I'm really nervous about the surgery, but scared if I don't do something.

Hey TurtleGirl -

BluePoint Surgical Group has a great group of people. I've seen Dr. Halmi around the office - I had my surgery with Dr. Moazzez - and he was great. They truly care about everyone. I never felt like I was just a number.

Good luck!!! It might seem like you'll wait a long time - but it does go quickly and, before you know it, your surgery is in a few days. I was so worried that I wasn't ready - that I wasn't prepared. But they give you so much information - if you follow their guidelines - you'll do very well.

Bloomin_vjf,

Thank you so much for the information. and encouragement I feel a lot better now.

You are doing so great! Keep up the good work.

Turtlegirl

Hey TurtleGirl -

BluePoint Surgical Group has a great group of people. I've seen Dr. Halmi around the office - I had my surgery with Dr. Moazzez - and he was great. They truly care about everyone. I never felt like I was just a number.

Good luck!!! It might seem like you'll wait a long time - but it does go quickly and, before you know it, your surgery is in a few days. I was so worried that I wasn't ready - that I wasn't prepared. But they give you so much information - if you follow their guidelines - you'll do very well.

Sandi,

I'm from Southern Maryland too and also have Aetna insurance. I'm seeing Dr. Koch at Washington Hospital Center in Washington DC. They are wonderful and very helpful. Don't let your husband discourage you! Good luck