Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going to Disney before Surgery

Hey all, I'm going to DisneyWorld for 4 days tomorrow to help my brother in law plan for his wedding coming up in October. I am nervous because I'm so heavy and I'm afraid of getting kicked off of rides. I have gotten kicked off a rollercoaster before when I weighed a bit less than this because the lap belt wouldn't latch across my hips (I'm widest around there). It was the most humiliating experience in my whole life. I know we are going to do some parks while we are there and hubby is supportive. I am trying to know before hand which rides to avoid because they are bad for bigger people. At least I will get plenty of walking in! If anybody has any input I would surely appreciate it.

P.S.- I have my surgery in a couple weeks, so I am definitely looking forward to our trip there in October!

I'm 250lbs on a good day, a size 20 or so. I can go on all the rides, although I don't do the kiddie rides because I don't have children. I go on all the coasters, all the fantasyland dark rides, etc. The only ride I don't like is the Matterhorn because the car is set up so that you can fit two people in one seat, one right behind the other (at Disneyland at least), and my boyfriend likes to share a seat. I hate it because I'm really too big to do that, but the ride operators give everyone the choice of sitting by themselves or with someone. You'll be much more comfortable in your own seat.

The bigger I get, the less comfortable I am on Space Mountain. If you're much bigger than me you may want to be careful of that one, but it is really fun so I hesitate to steer you away from it.

Have a good time! There are tons of rides you can do comfortably.

I started my journey weighing the same as you. I was just sleeved LAST Thursday (24th).

Me and my family go to Disneyland ALL the time (we live nearby) and we went to Disney World last year. I didn't have a problem fitting on ANY ride (even at 336 pounds). I don't like rollercoasters so I didn't go on Rockin' Roller Coaster but I did brave Expedition Everest and I didn't have any issues with fitting (even though I thought for sure I was going to have an issue). I carry my weight in my behind and thighs which makes rides a little snug but I was able to do everything I wanted.

Have fun! My husband and I are heading back to World this September and I am so excited that I will be much smaller this time around and my knees won't hurt so much after walking all day long. Enjoy yourself!!!

Dawn

Hey all, I'm going to DisneyWorld for 4 days tomorrow to help my brother in law plan for his wedding coming up in October. I am nervous because I'm so heavy and I'm afraid of getting kicked off of rides. I have gotten kicked off a rollercoaster before when I weighed a bit less than this because the lap belt wouldn't latch across my hips (I'm widest around there). It was the most humiliating experience in my whole life. I know we are going to do some parks while we are there and hubby is supportive. I am trying to know before hand which rides to avoid because they are bad for bigger people. At least I will get plenty of walking in! If anybody has any input I would surely appreciate it.

P.S.- I have my surgery in a couple weeks, so I am definitely looking forward to our trip there in October!

Listen don't worry about it. At my heaviest (during a WDW trip... I shot up to 314 in the last year) I was in the.. 290s? and a size 26/28 and I had no problems with rides. (I'm a Disney travel agent so believe me when I say I know the parks & all things Disney like the back of my hand). There were a few I felt like a sausage stuffed in there (Mission Space comes to mind) but I did fit fine AND SAFELY. Disney Cast Members aren't crass like some of the other theme park workers. If they thought someone might have a problem, they would be discreet about it as not to embarass you. But trust me... nobody's even given me a second glance while I was in line. A tip though!! When you get onto a ride car that has a seat belt, pull it all the way out before sitting down so you can buckle in comfortably THEN tighten it. ;) If you have any questions in specific please let me know. You will get a ton of walking so I suggest either sneakers or crocs (with socks..tacky I know but when I did crocs my joints didn't hurt as bad) and see which works best. Also take a cooling foot lotion for your feet/ankles & swelling and a cream like maybe... sports cream for your knees and anything else that may hurt. My dh & I both were rather large our last trip and we didn't care that we smelled like a Rolling Stones Tour Bus...we had a good time! ENJOY YOURSELF! I'm here if you want to PM me w/ questions :)

Disneyworld is very ride friendly to people our size, or should I say, people our size for right now! I love Disneyworld and at 303 lbs.(the weight I was the last time I went) I could ride all the rides comfortably. The only ride that I find a little difficult is Space Mountain. It's not that I didn't fit in the seat but I have bad knees and it was hard getting up from the seated position of the car. Do yourself a favor too if you go, go on Rockin' Roller Coaster. It is an awesome roller coaster and the bar comes down over your head and locks that way so you don't have to worry about another belt. You will have so much fun. Also, the tower of terror has a seat belt but like I said before Disney is one of the only companies I know of that tries to accomodate all of its guest and all the seat belts had enough for me to buckle! The only thing to watch out for in Disney is all the good treats they have. That could be trouble! LOL!. Go and have a good time! Can't wait to hear how you enjoyed your trip!

Hey,

I too am going to Disney World in October so have been doing some research. Like everyone has already said, Disney is the most plus size friendly theme park out there. A great website I've found with reports on how people of varying weights fit in the rides and which rides to avoid is WDW At Large. Hope it's useful.

Now my goal is to get to around 250lbs for my trip because I've heard that Universal isn't so size friendly and I'm determined to ride that darn Harry Potter ride!

:D

I did Universal...both sides...three weeks before my surgery. I am 5' 9" and at that time was about 300. I did all the rides, there was one or two that was a very tight fit, but bless their hearts, they pushed and pushed until it clicked. Harry Potter was not one of them...it was more than easy to fit in. Also, you may not know this, but some of the rides have seats that have larger buckles, so there was one that I had to change seats in. And again, bless their hearts, they acted like something was wrong with the seat, and after they moved me, they didn't put anyone else in the seat I had to move from.

Have fun!!!

I went to Disney this summer. I had no problems with rides, they are a little more easy to get in than other places. Size friendly park. (Space Mountain was tight, for my knees, but I did just fine too). I also can't say enough good about the people at Disney. It really is the happiest place on earth! One of the last outposts of good service, after 3 days there, Universal Studios felt like a slum!

Don't even BOTHER with Harry Potter at Universal Studios. I suspect your about my size. The ride looks like a 3-point harness kiddie seat, a plastic thing between your legs and the whole thing is molded for a person, then they put the harness over the top, crushing your shoulders, there was nowhere for my thighs/gut to spill too! I couldn't get on, after waiting 3 hours (and trying out the "test" seat before getting in line) and that was the whole reason we went to Florida when we did, 2 weeks after opening! They got 2 clicks, had to get 3. I was horrified at my weight at that moment, but I wasn't too embarrassed, since I saw many others with the same issue, so many coming and going on and off and waiting for kids that no one notices. But, Damm it. I am hippy and never goes away baby gut and extra tall. Still I was surprised, I got in it just fine, then a family of Tomato people got on just fine! Grr.

Wear the best shoes, my hubby wore the dorkiest shoes I've ever seen, but he felt great! If ya do get bumped, don't despair, it is all about to change for you anyway, it will be your excuse to go back, hubby and I will go back when we are more sure.

(on the trip I was 265, 5 10 and extra curvy, at least 24 pants, 40DD, If could find my measurements I'd post for reference, it really is "certain body dimensions-some big fit, others don't).

Have fun! I would love to go back!

All of the roller coasters have "test" seats before you get in line. You can see if you fit before standing in line and then you won't waste your time or be humiliated. Disney IS very size-friendly...I fit on the little teacup ride w/ my 3 year old and I weighed 350 at that time. Granted, the middle spinny thing you hold onto rubbed my belly a bit, but all was good.

Don't even BOTHER with Harry Potter at Universal Studios. I suspect your about my size. The ride looks like a 3-point harness kiddie seat, a plastic thing between your legs and the whole thing is molded for a person, then they put the harness over the top, crushing your shoulders, there was nowhere for my thighs/gut to spill too! I couldn't get on, after waiting 3 hours (and trying out the "test" seat before getting in line) and that was the whole reason we went to Florida when we did, 2 weeks after opening! They got 2 clicks, had to get 3. I was horrified at my weight at that moment, but I wasn't too embarrassed, since I saw many others with the same issue, so many coming and going on and off and waiting for kids that no one notices. But, Damm it. I am hippy and never goes away baby gut and extra tall. Still I was surprised, I got in it just fine, then a family of Tomato people got on just fine! Grr.

I think a lot of it is to do with height too, right? I've heard of smaller in weight but taller guys getting refused. I'm a good 5'9 too and often struggle with the leg room thing. Should be interesting when I go with my 6'5 brother then! :)

I think a lot of it is to do with height too, right? I've heard of smaller in weight but taller guys getting refused. I'm a good 5'9 too and often struggle with the leg room thing. Should be interesting when I go with my 6'5 brother then! :)

What amazes me is that Universal didn't give much thought (or care to?) to the size factor. You'd think with them competing directly with the Disney Parks they'd want to at least try to pace them and it's widely known how Pooh-sized Friendly they are. Not smart Universal.

Hey everyone! Just got back from Disney last night and it went better than expected. Thank you for all of your posts as I was reading them during my trip! It is true, the staff at Disney is remarkable and they really do take care of us bigger peeps. When getting onto rides, they ask how many people you have with you so they can place you in an appropriate line to get on the ride. Our group was 4 people, but if it was a smaller bench or something, they would break us up in 2s without missing a beat. They really went out of their way to make everyone happy! My only issue was that I am the heaviest in the group and I didn't want to be a Debbie-downer, so I really over-did it on the walking. One day I was walking almost constantly for 12+ hours. I was really hobbling like an old lady. My feet and my legs were killing me because I was too proud to tell them I needed a break. Anyway, I feel better now. And I'm looking forward to going back in October when my brother-in-law gets married. My surgery is in 11 days and I will be looking and feeling awesome by then! :lol:

Glad you had fun! Disney rocks! I took anti-inflamatories all the time and slept with my feet up at night, not that you'll need that next time! At universal studios they had a test chair too, but it didn't actually click...boogers. Disney is sooo fun! And in Oct it will be so much easier!