Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does LapBand Do Damage/Dent Stomach After A Certain Amount of Time?

I was just wondering if the lap band, after so many years, would damage the stomach or bruise or dent it somehow. Maybe someone who has had the band removed would be able to answer this. Was your stomach damaged at all from the band. Just wondering the long-term effects.

I dont think anyone knows yet! Its too new a procedure. We are taking a bit of a leap of faith when we undergo the op and its entirely possible than in 20 years nobody on this forum will still have their bands.

Hopefully that's not the case though!

Lap-Banding has been around a number of years, outside the U.S. Sort of like RK, years ago. Took the U.S. a long time to approve either of them. Glad they did. My proceedure is too new to tell, but suspect I did more damage, before surgery....BWG

dawn in hot AZ

I know one person who was de-banded after a significant (by US standards) time of being banded - just over 5 years. Her anatomy appears to be back to normal according to all the tests they have done, and there is no obvious deformation, but she still feels restriction. They aren't sure if there's something going on inside her that they can't see, or if it's a phantom symdrome.

I know one person who was de-banded after a significant (by US standards) time of being banded - just over 5 years. Her anatomy appears to be back to normal according to all the tests they have done, and there is no obvious deformation, but she still feels restriction. They aren't sure if there's something going on inside her that they can't see, or if it's a phantom symdrome.

That is interesting.

I read on some doctor's website that if the band is removed, the stomach generally goes back to it's origional state.

I guess by using the word generally, he means he really doesnt' know.

That's not very encouraging.

I know someone will come along and say "But the risks of being fat, you know the risks, etc it's worth it, etc etc etc" But that's easy to say while we are feeling well and nothing is gone wrong, but it's small consolation to someone who has it removed and is having pain or problems every day for the rest of their life.

There is another thread on Lap band complications where Dr. C answers that question. Basically the answer is "no". There may be an indentation made in the stomach but for the most part it returns to normal after removal.