Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long were you in the hospital?

Hi, I was just wondering about how much variance there is on hospital stays, barring any complications. I was told, up to 3 days.....anybody out there with less?

Yes, I was ready to check-out by the morning after 2nd night, but my mother insisted I stayed an extra day for the hospital's nutrition thinking that would be handled better becuz of their familiarity with pot-op diet. That -- was the wrong reason to stay. I was off drips by the beginning of evening of the second night and did not receive any more medication. The follow-up clinic appointment was 1 week post-op. My doctor expected his patients to be out by the morning after 2nd night.

I was supposed to leave after the second night as well. I stayed an extra night because I hadn't eaten nor drunk anything and I had had problems with the drain...

I had surgery on Tuesday March 1st, and was released Friday March 4th, I think if I had pushed it I could have been released sooner. I think my surgeons thoughts on this are, if Insurance will cover "X" amount of days when no complications are addressed, lets use those days and make sure you are well along on you healing process, with no problems of any kind before we let you go.

I had surgery in Mexico, Stayed one whole day and a night in the hospital and went to a recovery house the next morning. Stayed there one more night and WOULD of stayed another night and be released the next day but I elected to leave early and stay at a hotl in San Diego because I was flying out the next day and didn't want to do the customs thing AND go through airport security in the same day for my mid morning flight back home.

I stayed 3 days, I was suppose to go home on the second but I had a coughing spell that set off a esophageal spasm and I had to get pain meds just to be able to breath after that. Other wise I would have been home the second day.

Howdy from Texas,

I had my surgery Monday Feb. 28th at a medical Center in Dallas that specializes in WLS. Most everyone that had their surgery on Monday morning left Tuesday evening. I was self pay and my self pay included a two night stay so I left Wed. around 10:30am. I probably could have left Tuesday evening but my boys aren't the best of care givers. laugh.gif

I was in for six days, and had to get a wee bit stroppy to bust out then. No complications or anything, it's just impossible to check out of the Hotel California a swiss hospital, they think you should stay a week minimum for *anything*. Oy. But I was glad to be there the first four days, as I really did need the help and care. I have heard of places doing this sugery as an outpatient procedure, which blows. my. mind. Call me a wimp, but I needed to be waited on and cared for when I was violently ill for 72 hours.

At the seminar my surgeon said most of his sleevers stay one night, home the next afternoon/evening if they have no problems with pain/intake/output. But he also implied he wouldn't discharge anyone if they met those goals but weren't comfortable leaving that soon. I'm hoping to be a one-nighter as I know I'll be able to relax and sleep much better at home.

Hi, I was just wondering about how much variance there is on hospital stays, barring any complications. I was told, up to 3 days.....anybody out there with less?

1 nite for me in Houston Tx.

I had mine done Thurs afternoon and out Sat about 5 pm. They told me I looked like a gal that hadn't had surgery...I was up walking the minute I came out of sedation. I was atad uncomfortable on the 2 hour ride home but recovered at home by myself after that with no problems.

Looks like it varies a good bit. I'm hoping for an overnight and leaving the next AM, I hate hospitals, you are always getting woke up, and it's so loud. I'd much rather be home to recover......but ultimately, I guess my body's reaction will determine that, huh?

My doctor had me scheduled to stay 2 nights and I asked to be discharged the next day which he agrees to. I hate being in the hospital!!! Feels like prison to me.

I had my surgery Jan. 12 and went home on the 13th. No problems after a small bout of nausea the morning after surgery.:rolleyes:

I am a self-pay and I had my surgery at 3pm last Thursday and was released at 10:30pm the next night. I could have been released in the afternoon had I been able to pee on my own by then. So, it was one night but 1.5 days if that makes sense.