Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

unbelievable doctor visit

I had my surgery in mexico. But today I went to a follow up at a bariatric surgeons office here local to me. I called ahead of time and explained my situation about my surgery in Mexico. And they said it was fine. I don't have insurance so I paid $125 cash to be seen. By the drs. PA not himself. She was in the hall and yelled out why am I seeing someone who had her surgeryin mexico. I heard someone answer because dr.coates wants to be the follow up dr for patient from mexico. She then yelled then he should see them himself then. When she came in my room I asked her if these were issues she should of taken care of herself before taking my $125 she then apologized and said she would make sure I got my moneys worth she was just thrown off by me being there so soon after my surgery and that she didn't know I had surgery in mexico'til right before she was going to walk in. I said ya I could hear that. She said they hardly do check ups with people who have had the sleeve because dr. coates just started doing them. Also she said people don't come back for follow ups because this surgery is like being on a diet and they fail. She said she wuil continue to see me for blood work and to track my weight. So anyway gus's i'm just venting. But that visit really ruined my whole day.

Don't you just want to prove her wrong? Lose all your weight and tell her it's not like being on a diet and that it's hard to fail? I would! It sounds as though she isn't very professional (shouting down the hallway about your particulars) and doesn't know much about VSG.

Wow that was bad! It doesn't sound like she even know/understand the sleeve. It isn't like a diet sure you can eat around a sleeve but early on there really is no way and you have to watch your Protein, fluids and Vitamin needs. I am sorry you went through this.

Boy, I bet she's all scared your gonna tell the Dr. on her, and I think you should, that is unprofessional to be yelling that stuff down the hall like that, they all need to be careful what they say. I bet she felt sooooo uncomfortable-that might have made my day! Now the whole, not needing follow-up/diets fail thing is weird. Maybe look for a different baratric at least tell this Dr. that her behavior messed up your day and htyat she doesn't really seem to understand the Sleeve.

wow - isn't there someone you can report that office too???? i don't know what area you are in but maybe you can find another dr. who is more "pro sleeve".

don't let it get to you - we are all here, loosing.

It was truly mind blowing. They specialize in gastric bypass. So I guess that's what she's used to. No excuse though. But I do hope I can get a hold of the dr. and let him know what happened to me there. Plus I paid $125 to hear it.

That was rude, unprofessional, and uncalled for. I would definitely report this to her superior. Even when you called her on it she didn't apologize to you, then proceeded to insult your surgery choice. It is apparent that office needs to do some updating to their education.

When I was calling around my state looking for a dr who performed the sleeve, I had a nurse tell me that no they didn't do the Sleeve, when I said that I was pretty set on having the Sleeve, she replied: "it's not up to the patient which procedure they have, it's up to the dr". I said, "It's my body, not the drs, and I will live with my decsion for the rest of my life. So I will not be going with your dr. Your dr is not a skilled or trained to do the procedure that I feel comfortable with so of course he would recommend the RNY as best for me. No wonder so many folks go to Mexico! I mean of course it's the $ factor, but the attitude and patient treatment is so much better in Mexico. In my area, it's not just the drs and nurses, the office ppl have no customer service skills. On the contrary, they are rude and condescending most of the time. It's sad really.

Find someone else for your follow up, pronto. Then, write a detailed letter to the doctor, recounting your experience at his office. Copy the local AMA / professional society. Go on sites that recommend doctors, and provide honest feedback about your visit. This should not be tolerated.

Sickened by your treatment. Geez, you were not there for a haircut, but professional (see that word) medical advice. Find another bariatric surgeon. Bloodwork results can be sent to anyone, anywhere in NoCal. You have a lot of options, suggest you seek someone else out. ARGH. Fightin' mad now.

Please share her name here too.

Help other folks avoid this situation.

I was so thrown off by it all I don't remember her name but it was the physician assistant at Dr. Coates office in Modesto, Ca. I'm hoping to see Dr. coates soon so I can explain to him what happened at that visit.

I think you should get your money back also- that is a HIPPA violation- and they can face serious penalties for that.- Maybe you should suggest seeking further action if this is how they are going to treat their patients- new or not.

I had my surgery in Mexico. But today I went to a follow up at a bariatric surgeons office here local to me. I called ahead of time and explained my situation about my surgery on mexico. And they said it was fine. I don't have insurance so I paid $125 cash to be seen. By the drs. PA not himself. She was in the hall and yelled out why am I seeing someone who had her surgeryin mexico. I heard someone answer because dr.coates wants to be the follow up dr for patient from mexico. She then yelled then he should see them himself then. When she came in my room I asked her if these were issues she should of taken care of herself before tagking my $125 she then apologized and said she would make sure I got my moneys worth she was just thrown off by me being there so soon after my surgery and that she didn't know I had surgery in mexico'til right before she was going to walk in. I said ya I could hear that. She said they hardly do dokie ups with people who have had the sleeve because dr. coates just started doing them. Also she said people don't come back for follow ups because this surgery is like being on a diet and they fail. She said she wuil continue to see me for blood work and to track my weight. So anyway gus's i'm just venting. But that visit really ruined my whole day.

Wow, I would head the other way really fast and find someone else a gasterologist perhaps, because this Dr. coates staff is major unprofessional! And yes, they violated HIPPAA in a big way ! This is so wrong!