Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So....what's it like?

I've been reading a bit on these forums and I have some questions.

1. I've noticed a couple of people mention they can hardly get food down after the surgery. Why is this? Does it hurt? Are you simply full? Nauseous?

The first two weeks I was on a liquid diet and it would often take 30 minutes or more to get down 4 ozs of Protein shake, there was some naussea and it was a slow process. Afterwards it would take forever to eat the 3-4 ozs that I should of mushies (cottage cheese, soft fish, eggs etc)

2. Do you feel any pain the surgery?

No pain fortunately just some pressure, I did take pain pills the first week just to help me sleep as i'm a stomach sleeper and there was a bit of discomfort there. I have gotten stuck on a handful of occasions and each time it was my fault not because of the surgery either I ate too fast or too much. Let me tell you, you do not want this feeling. I still remember the things that got stuck Deli Turkey, Pork Chop, chicken wings, and chicken parm... once again because I ate too much too fast or didn't chew them enough.

3. Just how hard is it? If you're hungry in your head (which I'm thinking happens a lot), how do you work through that? Do you crave solid food or is the liquid diet doable?

I went through a head hunger phase but not immediately for me it came at 6 months out, I gave in on occasion and I went through a 7 week periiod with a 2 lb gain, if you do the wrong things it is possible to gain weight, stick with the plan and you will use weight. The fortunate thing was even though I ate crap I never ate that much as I was full rather quickly. My eyes are often very big for my stomach these days and I find myself wasting lots of food or giving leftovers away.

4. Did any of you regret having the surgery?

No regrets it's one of the greatest things I've done

5. Can you ever eat normal food again?

I have eaten many things without a problem I just use a super small plate and eat a lot lot less. I will not drink anything with carbonation but i've had coffee and gum without a problem. I used to drink about 3 liters of dr. pepper a day but cut that off well before surgery

1. I've noticed a couple of people mention they can hardly get food down after the surgery. Why is this? Does it hurt? Are you simply full? Nauseous?

I never really had a problem unless I try to eat too much. Right now I'm on a "whatever I can handle" diet and my body lets me know when to stop granted I keep eating as slowly as I do. I definitely get that full feeling sooner than before!

My scars are healed up pretty nicely and I definitely don't feel pain at this point. The first couple weeks after the surgery though, I of course felt some pain but it's really not too bad. The worst is the gas pain right after surgery.

3. Just how hard is it? If you're hungry in your head (which I'm thinking happens a lot), how do you work through that? Do you crave solid food or is the liquid diet doable?

It's definitely doable depending on your will. My thoughts on food and cravings have completely changed in a way that I'm not sure I'd ever understand before having the surgery. When I get head hungry, I just remind myself that I had that part of my stomach cut out and that it's all in my mind.

No. Not even a little.

Yes! I can eat whatever I want to, just in smaller quantities (obviously). There are certain things that give me more trouble than others now (like chicken) but I really wouldn't care to ever eat chicken again in my life at this point.

I've been reading a bit on these forums and I have some questions.

I am 2 weeks out and it is not very hard getting things down. It is hard noticing when your pouch is full. I too have eyes that are bigger then my stomach. On two occasions I felt like I was going to vomit if I had one more scoop of whatever I was eating.

I took pain meds via iv the first day but realized at night they were causing me to feel more sick then anything. There wasn't much pain but you will be sore. I haven't taken any type of pain medication since leaving the hospital.

I do get hungry in my head but just get through it. I try to forget to eat so I don't get hungry. There have been times where I forget to eat for 6 hours and I would never have been able to do that before. I do crave solid foods and have snuck in 1 turkey sausage and a small piece of my wife's hamburger. But besides that I have been really good. I can't wait to order a salad or a small steak.

I have regretted the surgery at times because I feel if I have just ate like this and worked out like crazy I could have reached my goal weight. Although I am losing a lot of weight really fast and feeling better. I don't think I will regret it when I am down 70 pounds because I know that would have been impossible without the sleeve. It just gets tough at times because I loved food.

I hope so even if it is smaller portions. I can't wait for that month!

Ok, I think that's all for now. Thanks for the info and feel free to throw anything else in there that I forgot. : )

To answer your questions:

1. I have yet to see anyone on here regret the choice to get sleeved... including myself!!!!

2. Pain is tolerable, and really varies, but mine stopped at about day 4 or 5 as someone else had mentioned. IT is surgery so of course there is some mild pain associated.

3. You don't give up everything but your body reacts differently to foods. My biggest challenge is eating slowly. I want to eat how I used to and with a sleeve all that means is a lump in your chest/throat where you feel like you can't breathe and ultimately means barf. The barf is different by the way.... you can see exactly what went in because nothing is digested. It has been super hard for me, but totally worth it.

4. As for drinking, I too was a gulper. I could drink 3-4 glasses of Water with dinner. I would drink about 48-64oz of diet pepsi a day MINIMUM. I just loved drinking and if it was carbonated, it was even better! Now I cannot drink even 1/4 as much as I used to, and like the food, if you drink too much too fast, up it comes. I find that eating or drinking while I am doing something else (even if it means working and eating my lunch then) it causes me to slow down and take my time so I don't get sick. Also, I have tried new things like flavored waters, crystal light, etc, to try to get some variety. I used to love love love plain Water, and I don't any more :( Sometimes, but not usually.

Lastly, to the woman who joked she was a cheap date.... I say the exact same thing!!!! I can't justify paying for a meal of my own when I eat about 5 bites and am done!

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.

I think the main thing that bothers me, besides not being able to drink much (seriously!), is that I want to have the surgery and start my new life, while not being in this fragile medical state of being. It sounds like there are so many issues (reflux, etc) and medications that need to be taken following the surgery. I just want the surgery and want to feel less hungry and, therefore, simply eat less and move on. I don't want to feel sick and sad.

Afraid to do it. Afraid not to.

I think the main thing that bothers me, besides not being able to drink much (seriously!), is that I want to have the surgery and start my new life, while not being in this fragile medical state of being. It sounds like there are so many issues (reflux, etc) and medications that need to be taken following the surgery. I just want the surgery and want to feel less hungry and, therefore, simply eat less and move on. I don't want to feel sick and sad.

Just do it. Seriously.

I felt like I was in a "fragile medical state" for maybe a week total. Definitely worth it. The reflux gets annoying but I got a simple prescription to a PPI from my doc that lasts 3 months and I just take 1 tiny pill when I get up in the morning. No big deal at all.

I feel less hungry, eat less, and sometimes forget I even had surgery - and I'm not even 3 months out.

*EDIT* - Keep in mind that a lot of people on this board are people that visit BECAUSE they have issues. There are a lot of silent sleevers out there that are without complaint and have no reason to come here.

I'm right with ya man, It is like me typing!!

I'm worried about the cold issues and the drinking issues. I think the drinking will get easier and we will learn to drink more frequently (My tendency is to not drink Water, then drink a bunch later to make up-like right now I could!). Some people have various longer term issues. I don't want to be one of them. That is a risk to be taken. But we can't continue the way we are either-at least I can't. No diet is butter and bread and french fries without consequence. What kind of change do you want to have, how do you want to live forever. Something has to give

I was a huge drinker before surgery. I was also concerned about not being able to drink my fill after surgery. I can seriously say that I can now drink to my hearts content. I usually exceed the 64 ounce reqirement, by about 32 ounces. I can take huge gulps if I want to. I do not have any health issues, other than consitpation, and I am working on that. I do not take any medications that I took before surgery. I only take a multiviatamin and a B 12 lozenge each day. I used to drink tons of Pepsi Max and I do not miss it at all. Have so much more energy and feel healthy. High blood pressure is gone and not retaining fluids as I used to. Blood sugars are back in the normal range. Best decision I ever made. I feel like I am getting my life back. Hope you do too.