Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So....what's it like?

I've been reading a bit on these forums and I have some questions.

1. I've noticed a couple of people mention they can hardly get food down after the surgery. Why is this? Does it hurt? Are you simply full? Nauseous?

2. Do you feel any pain the surgery?

3. Just how hard is it? If you're hungry in your head (which I'm thinking happens a lot), how do you work through that? Do you crave solid food or is the liquid diet doable?

4. Did any of you regret having the surgery?

5. Can you ever eat normal food again?

Ok, I think that's all for now. Thanks for the info and feel free to throw anything else in there that I forgot. : )

At first you cant get things down well because of swelling. You can manage a few sips here and there. By month 3 you are able to take whole swallows of liquids and eat about 2 oz of food at a time.

Yes as with any surgery there is pain, but it is pretty much gone by day 4.

Because I feel so totally full after just a little food I have no head hunger cause I feel like I ate a feast.

I have NOT ONE regret excpet not having it done long ago/

Yes you can eat regular food fairly soon, but the trick is to make sure your new "regular" is healthy choices.

Thanks for the info!

Wow! Only sips of Water? I'm a drinker (diet Coke, Water, etc). I'm thirsty all the time (not diabetic). How in the world could I get by with tiny sips of liquids? Ugh.

One more thing... I was reading the post about depression after WLS. Anyone else experience this? This is a huge concern of mine as I have issues with depression on occasion.

1 - some foods are easier then others but you get to know what your body can tolerate and what it can't. it does not hurt but if your body is not happy with it it will let you know. you are full very easily and yes at times you will get nauseous and even throw up.

2 - i felt no pain at all. i was on a morphine drip the first day and they disconnected it the second. they tried to give me pain meds in my iv but it did not sit well so i told them i didn't want any more.

3 - because my dr. put me on low carbs as soon as i had a consult with him it was easy for me to get used to not eating the carbs after the fact. sometimes i can honestly say i get frustrated because i think i am hungry make food and then i take a bite and am not hungry. i am 6 1/2 weeks out and yogurt has been my best friend.

4 - as of now - no regrets at all i am 40 lbs down since surgery on jan. 12, 2011. i am very happy with the results thus far.

5 - sometimes i think i don't want to be able to ever eat "normal" food again cause i don't want to gain any weight back. but i just keep thinking to what my dr. told me, no pretzels, popcorn, crackers, chips, Pasta or rice. no ice cream even if its sugar free. all of these foods are snack foods and they will stretch your pouch and make you more hungry.

one thing tho. i did stop drinking soda completely 6-8 months prior to surgery. 2 months prior i stopped drinking coffee and any caffeine these two things were probably the best thing i could of done to prepare.

good luck on your journey - keep us posted.

1. I've noticed a couple of people mention they can hardly get food down after the surgery. Why is this? Does it hurt? Are you simply full? Nauseous?

3. Just how hard is it? If you're hungry in your head (which I'm thinking happens a lot), how do you work through that? Do you crave solid food or is the liquid diet doable?

Ok, I think that's all for now. Thanks for the info and feel free to throw anything else in there that I forgot. : )

Thanks Carmi!

So, you can never have popcorn or ice cream ever, ever again? I guess I'm hoping I can eat what I eat now, but much less?

Three months out and I have never been nauseous or sick. There was one day where I had a tummy ache but Tums cleared that up.

My only regret is not getting this thing three years ago when I could afford it.

Thanks for the info!

Wow! Only sips of Water? I'm a drinker (diet Coke, Water, etc). I'm thirsty all the time (not diabetic). How in the world could I get by with tiny sips of liquids? Ugh.

One more thing... I was reading the post about depression after WLS. Anyone else experience this? This is a huge concern of mine as I have issues with depression on occasion.

I am 4.5 months post op and haven't come across a food I couldn't eat. I have eaten some "junk" food with no problem. I kind of wish it wasn't so easy to eat!!!

I drank A LOT of pop before surgery. Thirst was a HUGE concern for me too pre-op. I was so scared that I would have the really bad thirst I always had and wouldn't be able to drink much but a few sips. I would drink an average of 5 liters of fluids a day before surgery. It was probably mostly due to my salt intake, and maybe just my size. I was ALWAYS thirsty, and was always up all night urinating. I am not diabetic either. I could drink an entire 2L of pop in a day on top of other drinks, or 12 cans of pop. I think pop just makes you more thirsty (and hungry). People always told me that, but of course I didn't want to believe them.. I tired some pop (Fresca) a few weeks ago, and it went down just fine. It just didn't taste the same and I really don't think I will drink pop too often or at all. It's not something I want anymore, and I drank so much before surgery.

Since a lot of people have answered your other questions I will say this...

I suffer from depression, it's been a battle since I was a teenager.

I have noticed that things are A LOT better since surgery.

As the weight comes off I'm seeing more and more new things :)

I was on a liquid diet for three weeks. The first day, nothing allowed. I didn't even want anything, except to wet my mouth. The first week it took 3-4 sips to get down a shot glass amount of liquid. I would sip wait for 5 min and sip again. By the end of week two I could drink a swallow, 1-2 sips for a shot glass. At the end of 3 months, I can now take 2-3 large swallows with no problem. I didn't feel pain as much as uncomfortable pressure.

I had pain inside from the incisions for almost 3 weeks. I went back to work after week one. It was bearable, I used the heating pad a lot.

I started wanting to chew at the end of week two. I wanted food badly by 2 1/2 weeks. I just looked at my incisions and reminded myself that my stomach had a much bigger sore on the inside to heal. When I finally was able to eat, it was so little, sometimes it was mentally disappointing, but I wasn't hungry.

No regrets here

Unlike what some others said, I have no restrictions at three months. I am allowed to eat whatever I want. That being said, if I want to lose and be healthy, there are guidelines to follow.

hi there, 14 months out tomorrow and I eat anything i want. However, in the beginning do as your told by your doctor. . . you have to follow their rules and regulations. . .you don't want to be labeled as non compliant especially if a problem should occur. . . i started eating whatever the heck i wanted at 1 year out. . . i'm a drinker too and enjoy everything, i do have to let my sodas sit for a while so that it doesn't fill me up so quickly . . . yes you can eat ice cream, chips, whatever you want after you are given the green light . . . there is no such thing as "YOU CAN NEVER EAT THAT AGAIN" . . . . this would be really dumb don't you think? As long as it's in moderation and you don't back to old habits you'll be fine. . . as for regrets, sure there were plenty of regrets for about 3-4 months. . .you live your life a certain way for so many years and then overnight it changes, you have to learn to eat different, drink differently, chew differently, etc. . .it's really tough, but you learn and go on with your life and soon it becomes second nature. . . you stall out and sit at the same weight for months but it eventually moves. . . it's really interesting, but i'm glad now that i did it. . . good luck you'll do well. . . :)

Thanks for the info!

I too was a "gulper" (let's differentiate that from drinker so as to not confuse people with alcoholic consumption - another subject entirely).

I would swig down anything and everything. Soda, water, Chrystal Light - whatever was put in front of me I would drink 2,3 or 4 or more glasses of. I hated going to a restaurant where they served drinks in "normal" size glasses as apposed ot the jumbo size that many use, I would for ever be trying to get the wait staff to bring me another or fill it up again. I was ALWAYS thirsty, I remember being thirsty as a kid too. I too was NOT diabetic although I was starting to show signs of insulin instability for the last few years.

Since the operation I can drink very little, in fact I went to the ER yesterday with a kidney stone, largely a result of not drinking enough water to keep my kidneys flushed.

I also suffered from hyperhidrosis - I sweated profusely and constantly and have since I was a skinny little kid. It got MUCH worse as I got older and fatter. I've noticed that this is not nearly as bad either, although the weather has been cool since the operation. I used to sweat so bad in bed that I would leave salt stains on my sheets and pillows and leave a funky smell in the bed. I get chilled very easily now and hardly ever turn a fan on - which was the first thing I'd do when I came into a room. I'm not sure what changed but this change is very welcome.

I can see how some might get depressed about their divorce from food. food can be a coping mechanism and suddenly it is gone.

In preparation for my surgery I gave up Pop all together ( I was a coke a holic) and breads, this made the adjustment a lot easier.

I have to say my spirits have been UP since surgery, I finally feel good about myself and feel really good on the days the scale moves downward!

There are lots of resources for post sleevers, this board and doctors and counselors to help if you get down.

It is hard to eat or drink at first because you have to take a little bite or sip and wait to let it sort of filter down through your tiny swollen stomach. It's a little frustrating, but you get use to it. I'm on day 26 and it's SO much easier already.

I have felt some mild depression. I think mostly because now I'm different in how I am forced to eat. I gave up soda (ie chemicals) before surgery and have not eaten bread for about 5 months. I don't miss it at all. You will have trouble eating bread early on cause it expands in your tiny tummy.

I cook a delicious dinner for my hubby and sometimes it's something I can eat and sometimes it's not. I have gotten my tiny dish of shredded chicken and sat at the table with him while he scarfs down a loin chop, rice, cooked carrots and a gorgeous salad.

Oh well, I'm still healing and soon enough I will be eating just about anything I want in smaller quantities. Like last night we went to Bob Evans and he ordered the sliced turkey dinner and shared some with me. He put mine on the bread plate (about as much as a 6 month old would eat) and we sat and chatted while we enjoyed our dinners. We laugh and joke that I'm a REALLY cheap date!

This site is the best medicine and while I've been home recuperating I can spend hours on here and Obesityhelp.com reading posts and asking my own questions. I have a sleeve sister that I met on here. She lives in another state, and had her surgery a few days before me. It's SO very nice to share info and encouragement with someone who's going through the same things at the same time. We exchanged cell phone numbers and email addresses and talk often.

Just remember after surgery you will be shocked at how much progress you make week by week!! Start a blog and you will be amazed at how fast you recuperate!

I also couldnt take more than a few sips at a time...I felt full to the point of feeling like I would throw up if I drank too much or too fast. Now , I can drink swallows of Fluid at a time but only 4-5 then I have to wait a few minutes before taking another drink.

I was in a good deal of pain for the first 4-5 days. I stopped taking pain meds on day 4 and managed just fine. I couldnt bend over with out pain for about 2 weeks but all in all wasnt bad.

Head Hunger is very different after surgery (for me atleast). I think my head has learned that although I remember this or that tasting good I know it would not feel good. So the want goes away. I still ocassionally miss things like french fries or baked potatoes but I have some Protein and am to full to want them anymore.

I did regret my surgery about 3 weeks out. I had a rough patch were I wanted to go back and undo what I had done. It was a fleeding moment and I just needed the loving support of my husband and I was back on track. I can't say no regrets...but I can say tough couple of days where I wondered if I made the right decision. By the way I KNOW I DID!

I have been told that the only thing I should never have again is 1. soda and drinks with caffiene. 2. coconut. Once I make my goal I will be able to eat anything I want but stay with in 1200 calories a day for maintaining. (all according to my doctor and nutritionist). I know others say they drink soda with out a problem but for me I think I will just stay away from it forever. To be honest there is NOTHING healthy about it. I feel like why open that can of worms. I am quite satisfied with Water, crystal light, Powerade zero,and G2. The only time I miss soda is when my family eats fast food. But I dont drink and eat at the same time so it would be a waste anyway. I am not sure I understand the meaning behind no coconut completely. Something about the way it breaks down in your stomach. I have heard others on this site say that this was a thought with rny surgery and there is no reason for vsg patients.

Honestly, I think it was really hard for me to get my mind around some of the changes that I would have to make before I had the surgery; but after I just followed all of the instructions I was given and it just all fits into place. Things I though would be SO hard just aren't.

Good Luck to you on your journey.

1. I didn't *want* anything. The simple thought of chicken or beef broth just turned my stomach and made me want to urp. All I wanted was Water... a little Jello but not really. Mainly just Water. This was while I was on clears obviously. Towards the last couple days of clears I was starting to come around.

2. I felt NO pain after surgery. The drugs were GOOD lol. Other than that? Nah... I was just sore around my middle like someone had beat & kicked the you know what out of me. Then again, the girl that came out of surgery after me was moaning and belly aching like an effing banshee. I thought it was a bit much but whatever. I even asked the nurse "was I THAT BAD??" LOL She said "no you were a good girl" :P

3. I'm only a month out now. I've had head hunger. I'm walking around right now thinking I'm hungry... I may very well BE hungry... but I just ate an hour ago. I can wait. I'm having water. I don't want to overeat or eat things I'm not supposed to because I'm terrified of "springing a leak" and waking up dead. There's a definite difference in this and regular dieting. Regular dieting, if you cheat or something you're not gonna have serious consequences in the beginning. After awhile it kind of becomes apart of the scenery really? Of who you are...and it's easier I think.

4. There were a few days when it got really hard for me and I thought WTF have I done? Now.. not so much. I'm happy that I'm losing weight and I'm getting healthier and starting to get my life back. I'm looking forward to things I haven't done in 10 years! I think the first couple of weeks are impossible because you're stuck on liquids and all you want is food.. or drink.. or coke.. or whatever your poison is. I had a few breakdowns. This too shall pass because....

5. Eventually.. slowly but surely :) I'm sure by normal food you mean food that isn't a liquid? My theory is I want to do what my brain has been trying to tell me all my life. Eat right and healthy 99% of the time so once in a while you can have "once in awhile" foods. That's my goal. To be able to live a normal life like a normal person who has never had a weight problem and someone who has never been obsessed with food. :)