Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP....Everything gives me Hiccups!!

I had my first fill this past week (2.5 cc), and I can hardly eat anything without getting severe, painful, hiccups. I haven't been able to keep much down and the hiccups have me gun shy about trying to eat anything real. My doctor (Dr. Chiang in Milwaukee WI) told me to try anything I felt I could handle, no limitations as I needed to learn what my body would accept. I have tried grilled chicken breast, yogurt (blended no fruit), instant oatmean (real soupy), cheese sticks, some lettuce (the worst!), V8 juice, chicken cup of Soup, all caused hiccups. I haven't been able to keep things down either, so I know I am not getting my daily Protein intake this week.

I am really getting worried that something is wrong, or I am too tight. Not sure if I am just eating too fast or making bad choices.

What has anyone else found to work as far as food choices, when/if you are this tight? Any help or thoughts are appreciated!

Patty G

Banded 03/01/04

298/269/?

Patty,

It's very possible your eating too quick, therefore, getting air in your digestive system which is causing the hiccups...or you could be swollen which could also cause them.

Try really slowing down and see if that works and sticking to Fluid for the next day or two.

I had hiccups after my first fill (2.0) as well...they finally disappeared...

If your PBing everything than it is very possible your too tight...and then I would make an appointment for a small unfill.

Originally posted by Patty G

I have tried grilled chicken breast, yogurt (blended no fruit), instant oatmean (real soupy), cheese sticks, some lettuce (the worst!), V8 juice, chicken cup of Soup, all caused hiccups. I haven't been able to keep things down either, so I know I am not getting my daily Protein intake this week.

Patty G

Banded 03/01/04

298/269/?

Patty,

Most of this diet would plug me up (and give me hiccups, too) in a heartbeat. For me, ANY chicken breast is too dry. I now eat dark meat only, usually stewed, seldom grilled. Cheese sticks would not work, again, too dry. And some people say cheese is just fat, anyway. Were there noodles or potatoes or rice in the cup of soup? I'm not sure about the V8 or yougurt, unless you ate/drank it too fast. Lettuce is almost always a no-no for me, although vey finely chopped, crispy romain sometimes works.

You may be filled too tight. If you are, you will start "eating around the band," by eating liquids to avoid problems. Not good.

Okay. So what TO eat. Fish? A little halibut or salmon or snapper that is NOT cooked until dry. And, when I'm protein deficient, I sometimes try a little chili, with or without Beans. I'd suggest going like we do when we introduce foods to a baby...try one food at a time. And avoid things with multiple ingredients...because I can eat crab just fine, but crabcakes have breadcrumbs and I can't eat bread. And if the roasted winter veggie soup has potatoes, I'm sorry I ate it.

And pay attention to how fast you eat and when you stop eating. (My usual mistake.) There are days that I think I ate the right amount and stopped at just the right time...and then four or five or even ten minutes later, I start with the saliva. THAT may be age-related, as we older folks have slower esophageal function and by the time I FEEL like I should stop, I'm way late.

You are learning, give yourself time.

I know what you are feeling. When I eat while talking or sometimes for no reason I'll get the hiccups but when I get the hiccups I also burp at the same time. It is a noise that is so embarrassing. If we are out eatting somewhere I just leave. I still get them but not as often after I get used to the fill -alittle more but I have never heard of anything to help. Sorry!

My-goodness

Hiccups are every day to me, Just reading this thread made me hungry! these are all the foods I eat in small Qty's, eventhou cottage-cheese is my staple most mornings and the only-thing I don't hiccup on. When eating with others , I think slow down. Isn't it amazing how fast people can eat.

I have the same Burp-nosie-gurgle stuff going on Ginger. Even drinking water....

This is very interesting. I don't get hiccups often, but frequently I'll get ONE hiccup, or two or three, just after I've finished eating. Then they stop. I've just sort of thought of them as something that happens as my food settles.

I hiccup on a daily basis.. after every mean, but like you Alex they are one or two hiccups then they stop. This for me means I am now done eating.

Thanks for the responses! I have been working very hard to pay attention to what is giving me hiccups the worse and what works ok. chicken is a staple for me, it goes down fine as long as I chew it to death - and it is one thing I can now handle without hiccuping during the rest of my meal time. When the hiccups hit, I can't eat anything until they stop. I am trying to get more liquid things into my diet, and that seems to have helped somewhat. I don't eat enough fruit according to my nutritionist, so I am experimenting with some canned fruits. Fresh fruits are definitely something that doesn't work!

Thanks again for the posts - I look forward to logging into this site and see how others are doing!

Patty G

298/268/?

And all this time I thought it was just me... :straight

I hicup after every meal or drink.... it's my sign..... My husbands eyes Water after spicey food... I hicup... I thought it was our ritual... :straight hmmmm now I can tell him I have a scientific reason for myself :cool:

I'll try eating slower and get back with you.....

:cool:

Michelle~

I hicup after every meal or drink.... it's my sign..... My husbands eyes Water after spicey food... I hicup... I thought it was our ritual... :straight hmmmm now I can tell him I have a scientific reason for myself :cool:

Michelle~

Michelle~

Michelle~

Guest bgott

I READ SOMEWHERE THAT WHEN YOUR POUCH IS FULL, SOMETIMES IT PUSHES AGAINS YOUR DIAPHRAM AND GIVES YOU THE HICCUPS. I BELIEVE IT DUE TO THE FACT THAT SOMETIME I GET THEM BY JUST DRINKING A LITTLE Water.< /p>