Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WTF did I do to myself?

I'm 2 days out & as I lay here in horrible pain I keep thinking that. WTF I was I thinking?? Why would I put myself through this??

How long does it take for the pain to minimize? How long til I can take my Vitamins w/o crushing them and TASTING them?

I'm sorry if I sound like a whiney baby right now but that's exactly what I am.

Any responses would-be appreciated. Even the ones telling me to man up cause it gets better.

Ali

I'm 2 days out & as I lay here in horrible pain I keep thinking that. WTF I was I thinking?? Why would I put myself through this??

How long does it take for the pain to minimize? How long til I can take my Vitamins w/o crushing them and TASTING them?

Any responses would-be appreciated. Even the ones telling me to man up cause it gets better.

Ali

Big hugs Ali!!! No worries!! I went through those same exact feelings while I was lying in my hospital bed. I *will* tell you it does get better. Better than you will ever dream possible!! Here I am, 5 months out living my life and happy as I've ever been.

Cheers and Congrats on you new tiny tummy and your new THIN LIFE!!!

Ali

I think its like when women have a baby. The pain of birth, then the nights of no sleep build, but then one day, that baby says momma and smiles at you and you forget all the beginnings.

The sleeve is like that. At first you wonder if you were out of your mind, but as the weeks pass, and the weight keeps coming off and you feel sooooo good, you realize you did the right thing. (at least thats how it was for me)

You just birthed a baby sleeve. Welcome.

It does get better. I didn't have any pain but I did heave my guts up because of the anethesia and at one point wonder why? I am a week out and I am so incredibly happy that I did this.

Walk...walk...walk. I kept telling everyone to shut up about that but OMG I cannot believe how much it helped pass the gas and relief the discomfort.

Hang in there, it is worth it.

I wonder if you need the Vitimans so close out, maybe just focus on hydration and basic calories. I haven't had surgery yet, but they say walk, and from my last surgeries it is day 3-5 (more or less) that sucks. Day 2 sounds ripe for pain, ya have to heal! Course call the Dr. if you have fever,etc. Colette

Ali

First question did the doctor start you on your Vitamins already or did you start on them by yourself? I was told not to start my vitamins until 2 weeks after surgery.

2nd question is a question for you to ask yourself. Why did you do the surgery to begin with? I'm sure the answer is because of health issues no matter if they are present health problems or possible future health problems, and the fact that you can live a normal life after it's all said and done..

The pain will get better I assure you. I took pain meds the first 3-4 days exactly as prescribed and my pain level was very low..

Don't focus on the bad things that are going on now. Focus on the long term results you will achieve.

I had my surgery last Tuesday and was wondering the same thing. One week later and I was down 20 pounds! I think what made me the most uncomfortable was the pain medication. It made me feel sick and I really wasn't in any pain but sore from the surgery. I haven't taken any pain medication at all since day one of my surgery. Like someone else mentioned walk around and hopefully you will realize it's just soreness. Now it is getting tough to just eat Soups, yogurts and things like that but I know these weeks will pass soon. I want to eat Proteins.< /p>

Thanks for the replies, Everyone! Today is much better. I was finally able to pass gas and the pain has gone down. A half a notch but still, DOWN! My doc told me to not take the Calcium for 2 weeks but to take everything else. Im not going to though, I just cant do it. I'll wait.

And Papi, I cant wait to eat Proteins either!

Ali

You will feel great soon, just work the sleeve... and follow your doctors plan

I was fortunate not to have too much pain but did have some discomfort.

The first time you step on the scale to a loss, for me it was the second weigh in as I gained on the first weigh in, you should get a boost.

I remember the first huge loss I was so happy I actually teared up, you have a lot of thinner days to look forward to and the pain will subside.

(((hugs)))))

The first couple days are the worst and it will get better. I promise!! I felt EXACTLY the same way.... Keep telling yourself that this is temporary and your goal is to feel 50% better than the day before. I did that and it helped. Know that the anestesia and pain meds mess with your moods too!! Walk to get out that gas and just breath. If need to listen to calm music and sit propped up in a chair or bed.

Also, just take some Flintstone Vitamins. I have taken them for the past 7 weeks. Don't subject yourself to any more inconvenience! My doctor even tells patients to take them.

FYI --- by a week out its MUCH BETTER

by 2 weeks out you can almost feel like yourself

by 4 weeks out I was sledding down a huge snowcovered hill with my sons!!!!

YOU CAN DO THIS....JUST KEEP FOCUSED...BREATHE...AND NUTURE YOURSELF :)

I felt the same way at two days post op. The third day was MUCH better. Each day from there on out was a little better than the last. I hope yo ustart feeling better soon!

I have always found the 72 hour mark to be like a magic reset for the body. It seems on the third day after surgery things get better ( I have had LOTS of surgery).

While you lay there, be kind to yourself and keep the long term goal in mind, no pain, no loss in this case:)

I'm sorry that you're feeling so horrible. I had surgery almost 3 weeks ago, and I'm still asking myself the same question. In fact, until I saw your post I was thinking about writing about my regrets. The pain gets better after about the 3rd day. I stopped taking my pain killers on my 2nd day home from the hospital. In the beginning you'll have good days and bad days, trying to relearn how to eat, and remember that it's going to take your stomach time to learn how to digest things. That's the problem I'm having. This is a life changing tool.

Hang in there!