Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Paying for the sleeve myself...

DOES ANY ONE KNOW IF YOU PAY FOR THE GASTRIC SLEEVE YOURSELF, DO YOU STILL HAVE TO DO ALL THE PRELIMINARY THINGS THAT YOU HAVE TO DO IF YOU ARE GETTING THE SLEEVE AND INSURANCE IS PAYING FOR IT. FOR INSTANCE, THE PSYCH EVAL?

I'M SUPER EXCITED AND READY TO START THIS JOURNEY RIGHT AWAY!!

Mine was self-pay, and yes, I did have to get a psych eval, a nutritional consult, and all the labwork and other tests the doctor requires. I also had to go on a pre-op diet and lose ten pounds or the surgery would have been cancelled. These are things your doctor requires, not the insurance company.

I went to Mexico and from the time I completed the application to my surgery date was 3 weeks. I did not have to do a pre-op diet, a psych eval, or any of the other hoops some people go through. I did pay for my own nutritionist once I started eating solid food as I needed some advice. Good Luck!

It's pretty variable across the country (and world) and depends on the patient's overall health. Almost all of us require the nutrition evaluation. That never slows anything down because I require a 10 day pre-op diet and get the nutrition eval during that time. Many routinely require the psych eval and some do it selectively based on the patient and your history. Very rarely does anyone require the 6 months of medically supervised weight loss. That seems to be an insurance hoop although they did derive that from NIH guidelines/recommendations.

Usually it's: Seminar, consult with the surgeon, nutrition eval, +/- psych eval, +/- pre-op diet, surgery

Self-pay means you only have to satisfy one person's requirements: Your Surgeon

And I think a lot of good surgeons require a lot (labs, pulmonary, cardiac, psych eval, etc.) because a good surgeon won't operate on just anyone.

I am a self-payer and I had to do everything except the psych. consult. The other pre-op stuff was just to make sure I was healthy enough for surgery and I ran those tests through my insurance as my primary doctor "ordered" them. I think it really depends on your surgeon.

I'm going to Mexico with Dr. Aceves and he only requires bloodwork, EKG, and a few other things the day before surgery. He does not require a psych eval. Besides, those are WAY too easy to get around. So what's the point? I guess the point is the paycheck for the Psychologist. I mean, what is more important, having your "head" right, or getting this weight off so you don't stroke out or have a heart attack from all the weight? I know you have to work with the head hunger afterwards, but we all go through that whether or not we answered some questions correctly on a psych eval. And you can always go to support groups after the surgery.

And really, what is the point of making someone wait 6 months ( or sometimes much more) to "prove" that you have tried a structured diet? I have tried diets all my life. Clearly if they worked, I wouldn't be here.

I think a lot of it is just to make money, but that's just my opinion.wink.gif

Hi

I'm self pay and scheduled for surgery Feb. 28. Here is what i've had to do.

I attended a seminar Jan 28.

Met with surgeon Feb. 7th. He scheduled Surgery for Feb. 28

Did Upper GI and labs on Feb. 10

Did Pre-op check in at the surgical center which included EKG, Labs (again) and Chest X-Ray On Feb. 18

Had sonogram on legs and met with Nutritionist also on Feb. 18. at the Dr.'s office

Paid Surgeon's fees of $5500. during the visit at the Dr. office

I was asked to start a 7 day pre-surgery liquid diet consisting of Protein Meal Replacement drinks @800 cals per day Starting on Feb. 21st. (i'm now saying good bye to all my favorite foodstongue.gif)

My surgeon felt I was to high functioning to need a psych evaluation.

If all test are OK, I should expect a call from the Surgical center on the 27th telling me what time to be at the hospital the morning of my surgery.

I will need to bring a cashiers check for the balance of my surgery (the hospitals fees) in the amount of $7000.00

Since i'm self pay... the amount of money i'm paying at the surgical center includes 2 nights stay so I plan on taking advantage of that.

I was given a lot of reading material so i'm in the process of making sure I have everything I need at my house for my return from the hospital and I will pre-pack my hospital bag several days before my surgery.

I hope this helps. If I missed something please ask..

Good luck.

Kim

WOW! I cannot believe the difference in the requirements between doctors! I know alot of people go to mexico and the process is relatively easy, but in the US it's alot different. Many insurance companies require 5-10% weight loss before surgery, and psych eval and bloodwork and mine required a personal letter of intent. I would love it to just be self-pay and get it over with since I'm having difficulty with the presurgery weightloss, but self pay for my doctor is nearly 30K. WTF!

Let me preface this by saying I had just lost 50 pounds since I was working with another surgeon.

I scheduled my first appointment so I could meet with the available surgeons in the area 2 weeks prior to my desired surgery date (beginning of February). I visited two doctors available in Guadalajara Mexico where I live. After selecting the doctor of my choice I scheduled my surgery for February 18.

My doctor (Dra. Jacqueline Osuna) only required the usual pre-op surgery stuff(blood work, EKG, etc...) which was included in the cost. I was told that she typically likes a liquid diet 1 week prior to surgery but my BMI was at 40 so she said that it was not necessary. I continued to diet and lost a little weight prior to surgery, because it is just a smart move.

I had my surgery on Thursday and was back home on Friday afternoon after the leak check. The only thing that was asked for post-op care is to come see the nutritionist in a month since I'm local to their office.

Let me preface this by saying I had just lost 50 pounds since I was working with another surgeon.

I scheduled my first appointment so I could meet with the available surgeons in the area 2 weeks prior to my desired surgery date (beginning of February). I visited two doctors available in Guadalajara Mexico where I live. After selecting the doctor of my choice I scheduled my surgery for February 18.

My doctor (Dra. Jacqueline Osuna) only required the usual pre-op surgery stuff(blood work, EKG, etc...) which was included in the cost. I was told that she typically likes a liquid diet 1 week prior to surgery but my BMI was at 40 so she said that it was not necessary. I continued to diet and lost a little weight prior to surgery, because it is just a smart move.

I had my surgery on Thursday and was back home on Friday afternoon after the leak check. The only thing that was asked for post-op care is to come see the nutritionist in a month since I'm local to their office.

THANK YOU EVERYBODY FOR ALL YOU ANSWERS. THIS HA BEEN EXTREMELY HELPFUL. MY FIRST MEETING IS TOMORROW NIGHT!!

Self pay as well. Be sure to bargain hard with the hospital. Your surgeon may have a package price. Lots of extra costs. Labs, xray and EKG interpretation.

I know this is a tremendously personal question but I was wondering what you paid as a Mexican national for the sleeve? I know that the cost is less at some sites being that Americans (or Canadians, etc) pay more but was wondering what the difference is.

I only had to get a cardia clearance pre-op with my revision.