Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here....3 Year Sleever (Surgiversary March 20)

I am so happy for you that you have had a great result with your sleeve surgery. When I was thinking about sleeve surgery someone on this site (I want to look up who one day) told me she just ate less of her normal diet (focusing on Protein, etc.) and lost weight. I didn't think I could do a DIET, so I absolutely did what she told me. I am short (5'1") but stopped losing at 146-149. I mean, I may lose some more but we'll see. Like you, I don't want to lose it if it is hard to maintain bc I'm fairly satisifed. Another 10 lbs would be really nice though.

Being not a very regimented person, I am having so much trouble remembering my Vitamins. It is my goal this year and I'm better at it, but it is a total weakness.

How have you done with your Vitamins over time?

I'm happy for you too! I don't take vitamins. I am completely non-compliant with that sort of thing, which is why I didn't consider any surgery with an intestinal bypass portion. I should take them, but I don't. I do have bloodwork done fairly regularly and everything is fine so far with the exception of being super anemic (I take IV Iron periodically) but the anemia has NOTHING to do with the surgery. I had it before surgery and started the IVs before surgery as well. The anemia was another reason I didn't want a GB or DS surgery. I do not recommend that anyone follow my bad example with respect to vitamins.

well it is good to know you feel well 3 years out, it really is. Very comforting. I have mourned worrying over the loss of my tummy. Like what will it be like in 20 years or 30 years, etc. I would not have considered bypass and did not consider lap band. This was such a stretch for me to take this risk, but weighing it with the realization that my weight was a huge risk also.

Take care, and come hang out with us more often!

Theresa

I have been banded since 2004

I started my band journey at 367 pounds in 2004!

Now I weight 230-235!

and I am stuck:S .. Its really getting hard! and overwhelming knowing that I have been so slow! I hate to say the forbidden word but sometimes I feel like I am a "failure"

I had 6 fillings so far and my doctor is about to run the 7th but he is not optimistic! he told me sometimes Lapband surgery doesnt help with some ppl that much.. I exercise 4-5 times a week!

I feel horrible for being stuck! so Today he suggested the sleeve again, and he is saying that I am a good candidate for it but hearing from the web the terrible disadvantages the sleeve have is scaring me! it is considered the worst procedure according the the web! I am clueless! I need real life experience advice, so would you please let me know if any of u gained the weight back as suggested online that most ppl put back the weight cause their stomach normally stretch back!

I dont hate my band and I asked my doctor of keeping it in after the sleeve surgery and he told me that it can be done although I wont need it, but I just need it as a safety net in case my stomach started to expand!

He said that these stretching happens only when the surgery isnt done well!

Do u have the same hunger strikes as the band?

Do you never feel satisfied?

What kind of food is hard for you to eat?

Can you stomach stretch to ur pre op size?

I am waiting eagerly for your advice .. thanks!

Hi all, I'm new here and I noticed that mostly everyone was a pretty new sleever. I thought since I'm three years out, I could answer some questions about long term results, etc. Also, I noticed a thread about African-American sleevers. I'm that too, so if you have any questions that are culturally specific I can answer those too. Here are my specifics:

Surgery Date Weight : 335 lbs

Current Weight : 185 lbs (which I've been maintaining for at least 1.5 years with absolutely no trouble).

Height: 5'8"

Sizes : 10 on the bottom (sometimes 12 in jeans), 6 on the top.

Measurements: 35 x 27x 45 (Yeah, I know).

Ask me anything.

Congrats on the weight loss, do you have to constantly monitor your weight to saty where you are?

Today he suggested the sleeve again, and he is saying that I am a good candidate for it but hearing from the web the terrible disadvantages the sleeve have is scaring me! it is considered the worst procedure according the the web! I am clueless!

I think you might be confusing the vertical sleeve gastrectomy with another surgery. Possibly RNY. When I started my research the statistics for regain and failure was mostly with the band and then with RNY (stretching out the pouch). Now do not get me wrong the sleeve is a tool and anyone can find ways to eat around it. Like drinking high calorie drinks.

He said that these stretching happens only when the surgery isnt done well!

The sleeve removes the stretchy portion of the stomach. So there will be very little "stretching". That being said if not enough of the stretchy portion of the stomach is removed then yes you could have stretching. Check with your doctor to see what size of bougie he uses and go from there. The larger the bougie (into the 40's) the greater the chance of regain. Doctors with successful patients usually use a bougie size in the 30's (32f-34f-36f) and may or may not over sew the staple line to make the sleeve smaller.

Do your research and ask your WLS doctor as many questions as needed to feel fully comfortable about this proceedure.

Do u have the same hunger strikes as the band? Never had the band so can not answer

Do you never feel satisfied? I never feel hungry

What kind of food is hard for you to eat? varies for everyone

Can you stomach stretch to ur pre op size? No

I am waiting eagerly for your advice .. thanks!

This was the best decision I have ever made. I originally was going to get the band but the complications that kept of showing up on the internet scared me into finding another way. VSG had less of a complication rate than any other WLS so I researched and found the doctor for me. I am 5 weeks post op and seeing some great results.

This was the best decision I have ever made. I originally was going to get the band but the complications that kept of showing up on the internet scared me into finding another way. VSG had less of a complication rate than any other WLS so I researched and found the doctor for me. I am 5 weeks post op and seeing some great results.

Lily Thanks so much!! ur reply is so much appreciated and others replied to a thread too I posted! u are all so awesome and helpful here.

I just cant get the part about the bougie? what exactly is that?

Thanks for your information. I am so concerned about stretching my stomach. I can eat about 1/2 cup of food right now and I am happy with that. i don't want to gain this weight back. I am only 11 weeks out so I am still in the 'new' phase!

yeah, it does freak me out that I can eat most of half a sandwich. It freaks me out a lot in fact.

I used to have zero hunger, but now I do get hungry but it's not bad. I hope it never gets to be anymore than what I have now.

What kinds of things do you eat really often? I gained weight over the holidays which I should have been able to take off by now, but it seems like

my body does not want it to let go of it this time!

Lily Thanks so much!! ur reply is so much appreciated and others replied to a thread too I posted! u are all so awesome and helpful here.

I just cant get the part about the bougie? what exactly is that?

The way it was explained to me is that a bougie is the sort of "cookie cutter" tool they use to outline the stomach so that its cut precisely. I will be sleeved on April 11 and the size the doctor is using is 32.

Thanks for the post-how often do you need to follow up with the surgeon after year one? Is it once a year for the rest of your life? I am gettgin sleeved on the 27th of April and I am sooo nervous about the ,ong term effects...please advise..

Thank you for all this wonderful information and for coming here to share your experiences at 3 years out, as someone in the 8-9 month range now your insight is so helpful.

Congratulations on your success!!!

The way it was explained to me is that a bougie is the sort of "cookie cutter" tool they use to outline the stomach so that its cut precisely. I will be sleeved on April 11 and the size the doctor is using is 32.

It is a tube that they put down your throat into your stomach, to act as a guide for the stapler.

Hi there! I think it took my stomach about 18 months to reach the size it is now and I don't think it has changed much since then....maybe I can eat about 1/4 oz more than then, but that would be it max. I still cant eat sandwiches and dense Protein by itself fills me up super quickly (probably about 4 ozs or so would do it). Honestly though, try not to freak out when you can eat more. It's still way less than everyone else, but it's so much more than at the beginning that it messes with your mind.

Do you know what size bouge was used? Did he sew over the staple line to tuck your new tummy just a tad more? It sounds like things have gone well for you, congrats! I always wonder when some people post struggles w/their sleeve what size bougie they had. I think most everyone knows this is a tool, but because there are so many different ways the sleeve can be done that some techniques might work better than others.