Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Improve running

I am hoping we are having some more experienced runners around.

I am planning on doing my first 5k in May. I am a treadmill runner/walker, and as I am losing weight, I am getting a lot better.

Yesterday morning, I ran 40 minutes with an average of 4.5mph (2.8 miles), which included a slower start up and going up to 6mph for a few minutes.

Now, I am my own worst critique, and no - just making it won't be good enough for me. I am not of the "Gold stars for everyone" generation, I want a time that I am not embarrassed about - I can only imagine people looking at me thinking "Oh geez, finally the fat chick drags her a$$ across the finish line - good job wasting our time here".

So, now I am wondering, what is an acceptable time for a 40 yo woman? Someone said a 10 minute mile is decent enough for a first timer. Doing the math, my run yesterday was a 14:18 minute mile - is an improvement from 14 to 10 minute mile doable in 3 months?

How do I improve my speed - aside from "Just run faster"? I like to spend at least 40 minutes on the treadmill a day but I have to admit that at least right now, I cannot do 4.5mph every day. Should I do a slow day at 3 mph alternating with fast days? Should I rather run shorter times and faster?

I think I am beyond the C25k program - or should I just start somewhere in the middle?

Any advise for me?

Thanks

Susanne

Have you checked out any "running boards" like Runner's World and such? I too am training for a 5K at the end of April. I have done C25K before and didn't like it so I decided to go at this by myself. I started by walking for a certain amount of time and then jogging for the same amount until I either hit 30 or 40 mins depending on my time frame that day! I then started to actually try and complete a 5K. I just walk when I feel I need to walk (at a 4.0 pace on the treadmill) and I jog/run when I feel the "need" (at a 5 or 5.5 depending) My last 5K on the treadmill was in 37:37! For me personally it's just about getting in there and doing it at least 3 times a week, making myself run more then I walk or if I feel I must walk, walk at a decent speed! I am one of those people though who is going to be happy with just finishing!!!

If you're up to almost 3 miles already, you're probably past C25K. Jeez, I'd be so happy to hit a 10-minute mile consistently LOL.... my first 5K time in September was 39:39!

One thing you could to is every 5th minute, pick up the pace noticeably, then drop it back down after a minute...then every 4th minute, etc., kind of doing intervals that way.

Are you on Facebook? Look for C25K on there, and also Cool Running. Both post little daily articles about increasing distance, speed, etc., and although they can get repetitive, it's good info. Coolrunning.com is a good site by itself. Gotta get back on the horse myself!

I'd try running and walking. I have less than stellar endurance, so it's hard for me to run more than 10-15 mins without stopping. But when I ran a 10K with a friend, my running-walking scheme got me to the finish line 15 minutes earlier than her steady chugging along. Just go outside or on the treadmill and run at a faster pace than normal for you (say, 6 mph) until you can't anymore, than switch to walking at 3.5-3.7, then run again after 2 mins or so.

Also, interesting sidenote about endurance - I learned in respirology that a lot of elite-level endurance athletes have certain anomalies in the vascular system that supplies their lungs (specifically, arterio-venous shunts that allow their blood to be oxygenated faster). The doc who mentioned it to us ran some sort of study on endurance athletes and he noticed that one of his 20+ subjects had to work so much harder than the others, and yet his results were still not as good as those of the guys who trained a lot less. He ran some imaging on them and all of his subjects except for that one guy had these A-V shunts. That confirmed my lifelong suspicion that a greater capacity for endurance is something you are born with rather than earned by lots of training. My boyfriend can run a 22-min 5K on a whim and I struggle to finish in 30 minutes.

OK, I now signed up for the 5k training clinic. This is held by Gazelle Sports, a local running shop, and we are training twice a week for an hour starting tonight.

Yesterday was the kick-off meeting, and the run is on May 14th, so almost 2 months to train. I am really looking forward to have someone hold my hand a little. They have little seminars about good running form and nutrition. On race day, they have a gathering area, a tent if needed and some refreshments. The whole deal is $59, but they had 6 trainers for 30-some people and you get a free long sleeve wicking shirt and 10% off any purchase until the race.

I think that's a fair deal.

As for my own training, I can walk at 4mph fairly well, and do 40 minutes with an average of 4.5mph. This includes 2-3 intervals at 5 and 6mph, each followed by a slower 2.5mph interval. I guess I'll learn tonight if this is the way to improve my speed and stamina

Just an update - this is going absolutely amazing! I have been at every Monday/Wednesday training and we have worked our way up to [running 8/walking 2] x 4. We started at [3/2] x 3 and increased the speed week over week.

I have found a few running buddies and we met Saturday morning and did a 5k running 6/walking 2 and it took us 36 minutes. It was so awesome, that we actually met Sunday morning and did it again! That's 2 5k! And guess what we hadn't considered? That's right, we had practice today so we did 3.5 miles which is 5.6k. OMG, I did 3 5ks in 3 days!

I am now really worried that I am going to be so sore tomorrow. I was already a little stiff throughout the day, but I am worried how I will feel getting up tomorrow!

I would highly recommend a 5k running workshop/clinic/camp to anyone who is trying to run. They are accommodating all speeds, we have 4 coaches every practice. There are people of all shapes, sizes and ages - and you'll surely find someone who is a running mate for you!

I found the info for the practice group on the site of the event, you can check on local events here:

http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/Default.aspx

And today was the day! I made it, I ran the whole 5k, no walking and I finished in 33:18!

I guess I am now officially a runner since I am featured on Active.com :P

And today was the day! I made it, I ran the whole 5k, no walking and I finished in 33:18!

I guess I am now officially a runner since I am featured on Active.com :P

Susanne,

this is brilliant... I am well impressed!! Good for you! How did it feel to finish in such a quick time! I bet you are walking on air! =]

Well done!

Thanks, I was elated all day yesterday and today. I am 127 out of 290 in my age group, so I am above average -- usually I am aiming a bit higher but in this case, it's brilliant considering I am probably still 'above' average in the BMI range. I passed a lot of fit looking men and women. I ran in the earlier men's heat because I wanted to be done and it was the smaller group so I knew when I ran in, my husband had a chance to see me. This was a BIG event, 21,000 runners (6,000 in the 5k, the biggest 25k in the US) and it was one of the most amazing experiences in my life.

I "took today off", lounge all day, eat a chocolate muffin and other assorted foods that I usually stay away from - I had worked so hard toward this run and it's nice to have it done now.

But tomorrow I'll start it all up again. I am trying to get my husband to commit to the schedule I had in the running group. I will do all the runs with him (and hope I can get him to actually run), but I myself need to run more. I will try and do a 20 minute run myself first and then do the run with him - starting tomorrow. He has such a "can't do" attitude which drives me crazy. He only just crossed into "obese" with a BMI of 30.5 and I feel we need to nib that in the bud before it escalates but at the same time I know if you push someone in this situation, it usually backfires. He was patient with me but maybe too much so and maybe I had needed a better talking to.

Ah, crapola...

Otherwise, yeah me!

I am also trying to get into running. Made my first attempt about 2 weeks ago. Felt like my legs were going to explode, had to walk after maybe 3/4 of a mile. was really sore for 3 days. I do cardio hard a few times a week and am in what I feel too good of shape to have to walk in 3/4 of a mile and then agan a few times more. I posted on FB about my frustration and a couple of my friends that were runners posted back that I needed to get some good shoes. I took their advice found out I was what is called a supinator, had the wrong shoes and was making my alignment worse. I found the right pair of shoes, made my second attempt on Saturday, I was shocked. I set a mental point of how far I wanted to go before walking. I had a 2.4 mile course laid out, didn't have to walk once, did it sub 10 minute mile in like 23 minutes. I was shocked. My point is if you haven't, make sure you have the right shoes for whatever your running style is. I also have no real muscle pain today even after using a whole new muscle group. A little soreness in the obliques but that is it. I am planning on bumping it up to 3 miles on Tuesday. Haven't run 3 miles since my last marine corps PFT in 1984. I am pretty sure I did the 3 mile in 24 minutes. I will be happy for 30 minutes now . Short term goal might be a 10K by the fall, Long term a half marathon next spring.

The official pictures are out, this is shortly before the finish line and my husband was hollering my name so I waved at him. I thought it was so cool that they got me right that moment!

post-50410-13813668167164_thumb.jpg

I think this is fairly close to the finish line too, but I am not sure. It definitely looks like I lost a bit of the "good form" while running with my left arm churning.

And last but not least, I am crossing the finish line, hooray - my first 5k! (and 34:37 was gun time, I did 33:18)

post-4835-13813656648104_thumb.jpg

post-4835-13813656648319_thumb.jpg

post-4835-13813656648886_thumb.jpg

And just to get this up again, I did my next 5k on 6/25 exactly 6 weeks after the first and I improved my time by 2:36 minutes. I now finished in 30:42 -- so close to under 30, but no cigar. This course was a little easier, and the to runners were around 15 seconds faster, so when I extrapolate this, 30 seconds improvement are on the faster course and 2 minutes are my training! Woohoo!

I am not letting the insanity stop there, I signed up for a triathlon which is this Saturday, 7/2. It is almost like Sprint distance. Sprint distance is 750 m swim, 20 km bike, 5 km run and mine is 640 m swim, 22 km bike, 5 km run -- I think at some point they just have to do what "matches nature" for some of the disciplines.

Anyway, I haven't trained the swimming at all, so that's gonna be my embarrassing event, but I should be able to do the bike and run fairly well. I got a new bike, a Giant road bike and I love it!