Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

denied plication because of hiatal hernia, surgery tomorrow!

Help! Has anyone been able to get plication surgery even if they have a haital hernia? Medical team for Dr Corvala want to deny this because of the hernia and do a lap band instead. Dr. Watson has said he expects his overweight patients to have these and they are routinely repaired. I had an upper endoscopy which showed not pathology, just the hernia. My customer service rep had gotten an agreement that if I had no erosion or Barretts that the plication would go ahead. He's not longer with the company! Please tell me - does Corvala refuse plication because of hiatal hernia?

Help! Has anyone been able to get plication surgery even if they have a haital hernia? Medical team for Dr Corvala want to deny this because of the hernia and do a lap band instead. Dr. Watson has said he expects his overweight patients to have these and they are routinely repaired. I had an upper endoscopy which showed not pathology, just the hernia. My customer service rep had gotten an agreement that if I had no erosion or Barretts that the plication would go ahead. He's not longer with the company! Please tell me - does Corvala refuse plication because of hiatal hernia?

You can get it done with Dr. Abril in Mexicali. He usually only charges 500 dlls more to fix hiatal hernias...

www.mexicolapobandcenter.com

I had Dr López Corvala do my plication (I didn't have a hernia) but he did a plication on a guy that was in at the same time as me who he did a hernia repair on. Try and get more info from the doc in case you have a really bad one or if there's a particular reason why he's refusing you, as he def does do plications on people with hernias. Hope that

helps.

Good luck and keep us updated how you get on! smile.gif

Dr Aceves, Mexicalli, Mexico, repaired my hernia at the same time he did my VSG...no extra cost.

I used Dr. Abril and his surgery cost was lower, substantially lower than Ortiz and Aceves and others, one reason is because if you do not have a hiatel hernia he does not need to spend more time in the O. R. fixing it, but if you do, then he fixes it but charges a little extra for the extra time. It is part of the protocol for this surgery that they all have to look for those and repair them. So maybe the other doctors could lower their initial cost for patients who DONT have hernias, wouldn't that be nice.

It was my understanding that most overweight ppl have hernias and most doctors will repair them as part of any WLS. I'm surprised to hear that your dr wouldn't just offer to fix it since he's already in there. There was a question as to whether my gallbladder wpuld need to come out during surgery and if so my dr would have removed it at the same time. Luckily it didn't need to come out but it was nice to know that it could all be done in one procedure.

I did not have a hernia, I thought for sure I would, but nope...I also never had problems with reflux or heartburn or upset stomach, ever. Dr. Abril did say that I had a very large stomach, one of the largest he has ever seen, and he had to plicated (stitch) it three times, also something he never had to do before.

It was my understanding that most overweight ppl have hernias and most doctors will repair them as part of any WLS. I'm surprised to hear that your dr wouldn't just offer to fix it since he's already in there. There was a question as to whether my gallbladder wpuld need to come out during surgery and if so my dr would have removed it at the same time. Luckily it didn't need to come out but it was nice to know that it could all be done in one procedure.