Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Checkups

I'm scheduled for surgery March 16th and will likely be moving this summer. I'm worried about post op checks and wondering how many most folks had and at what point post op they had them.

How do the folks who go to Mexico deal with post op checks?

Thanks!

Right after surgery, I had one a week for like 3 weeks. Then one a month later. Then one in December, and I'm scheduled to have one at the end of February -- so not many -- my dr. just wants to make sure I'm losing weight well and everything -- I don't really have much to say to him because I'm doing great and losing weight . . . .

My doc recommends a 3-month check-up post-op, which includes an upper GI (fluoroscopy) to make sure there are no tiny leaks, strictures, or other structural complications, and blood work. The blood work is pretty basic, he said the only ones that are required would be a CBC (complete blood count) and B12 - just to make sure you are not anemic. My primary care doc added liver enzymes, as rapid weightloss can sometimes result in gallstones. They all came back fine!

I asked Dr. Aceves for long-term follow-up advice and he suggested bloodwork once every 6 months - no more fluoros as long as you don't have any symptoms. I think I'm just gonna do it once a year as long as I don't notice any anemia symptoms.

I told my PCP a week before my surgery that I was going to Mexico and she agreed to do my follow up. No problems.

My Dr saw me in hospital and each day until I left on day 3.... then one week post op, then one month post op, then 3 months post op.

I saw one surgeon who does all his post op stuff online, you email the blood test results to him... so presume if you have a problem you would just go to the emergency room.

Chat to your surgeon and tell him your concerns, see what they say.

My surgeon normally does a check up at 1 week post op and then another one at 3 weeks and another at 3 months for blood work and results. Then 6 months and 1 year.. Then no more till a year and a half. After that it's yearly blood work I believe with normal results over the phone..