Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight gain after surgery?? can this be possible?

i am 5 days post-op. just got off the plane and weighed myself when i got home. i have gained 2 pounds! i just read someones post who is one week out and has lost 16 pounds already. i have had nothing but Clear Liquids for 8 days and feel like i walked home from San Diego to oklahoma city. how can this be? im feeling really bummed right now. has this happend to anyone else?

Hi Shaundra, congrats on your new tummy!!!

Well, I think your first lesson on your LONG journey will have to be to avoid comparing yourself to others. You're not going to lose at the same rate as anyone else. We are like snowflakes, one of a kind. Be proud of your accomplishments, never undermine what you have gone through to change your life.

Stay positive always! You're brand new at this, give your stomach a chance to heal and your mind a chance to catch up to your new way of life.

Good luck to you!!

Well said!

Well, I think your first lesson on your LONG journey will have to be to avoid comparing yourself to others. You're not going to lose at the same rate as anyone else. We are like snowflakes, one of a kind. Be proud of your accomplishments, never undermine what you have gone through to change your life.

Stay positive always! You're brand new at this, give your stomach a chance to heal and your mind a chance to catch up to your new way of life.

Good luck to you!!

thank you and i know i shouldnt compare myself to others, but im so bummed. is it common for weight gain after surgery?

Good luck to you!!

thank you and i know i shouldnt compare myself to others, but im so bummed. is it common for weight gain after surgery?

I didn't personally experience any but yes, I've seen many others mention a bit of a gain post surgery. From what I understand its from your body healing and retaining Water. Some may even be from the IV fluids. Do not worry, the weight WILL come off promise, as long as you follow your post op diet as your Surgeon instructed. :)

true that Diva..the doctor that weighed you and have a lot lighter scale than you have..I went to my doc today and weighed and when I got to the place I worked out the scales are about 5.5 heavier. I chose to take my doctors scales..:D But truly you need to let you new tum tum heal a little and you will be fine..

Shaundra,

Not sure if you are referring to me as I've lost 16 pounds since my surgery last week. I actually gained 2 pounds in the hospital also! It can be depressing and upsetting. I was super swollen and bloated. I felt icky and I was bummed that I had to lose 2 more pounds on top of the 100 I want to lose! Grrrr! I'm figuring a lot of that 16 is Water weight from the I.V. fluids. I'm sure it will slow down once I get to mushies.

I have 2 little kids at home so I don't have much of a chance to rest and probably am up chasing them around more than I should be so that might account for some of the weight loss too.

I am following a little stricter diet than most because I was my doctor's first plication patient. I've also been on a liquid diet and I've been walking everyday (not much though). I'm sorry you're experiencing this but it's our bodies way of healing. Your body is in shock from what it just went through. Give it time. I know it's hard not to compare yourself because I totally do it too but it is unfair to yourself.

take care,

genepha

awww! its so cute that you said tum tum. every day when i called my 5 yr old daughter from mexico she would ask me how is my tum tum doing.i missed her like crazy! that was awesome!

true that Diva..the doctor that weighed you and have a lot lighter scale than you have..I went to my doc today and weighed and when I got to the place I worked out the scales are about 5.5 heavier. I chose to take my doctors scales..:D But truly you need to let you new tum tum heal a little and you will be fine..

i think it was your post i read, but i didnt want to put names out there :) i feel a lot better that you also gained 2 pounds.i need to just give it time im sure.congrats on your weight loss!

Shaundra,

Not sure if you are referring to me as I've lost 16 pounds since my surgery last week. I actually gained 2 pounds in the hospital also! It can be depressing and upsetting. I was super swollen and bloated. I felt icky and I was bummed that I had to lose 2 more pounds on top of the 100 I want to lose! Grrrr! I'm figuring a lot of that 16 is Water weight from the I.V. fluids. I'm sure it will slow down once I get to mushies.

I have 2 little kids at home so I don't have much of a chance to rest and probably am up chasing them around more than I should be so that might account for some of the weight loss too.

I am following a little stricter diet than most because I was my doctor's first plication patient. I've also been on a liquid diet and I've been walking everyday (not much though). I'm sorry you're experiencing this but it's our bodies way of healing. Your body is in shock from what it just went through. Give it time. I know it's hard not to compare yourself because I totally do it too but it is unfair to yourself.

take care,

genepha

I always use the same scale and try to weigh myself around the same time of day.

I know that everyone is different, so I try to take it all in stride and be grateful for the opportunity given to me to regain my life.

I am 1 week out since surgery, and I only lost 8.4 lbs since surgery (10 lbs prior to surgery to equal 18.4 total).

It is also depended on your original/current weight. Heavier person tend to loose more initially (not always true, but it is an observation). Also it maybe dependent on your activity.

Since my Acid Reflux has been giving me grief, I wasn't as active until Saturday, when I went out and walked.

Constipation can contribute to not loosing as quickly also.

You're not going to lose at the same rate as anyone else. We are like snowflakes, one of a kind. Be proud of your accomplishments, never undermine what you have gone through to change your life.

Love that Irene -- beautiful!

Hi Shaundra! Irene is so on target -- I GAINED every single pound I lost pre-op -- I was so upset -- 16 pounds!! That's a lot. But the very next 2 weeks I lost 24 pounds -- go figure. Then I stalled for 2 weeks. Then I started losing at a nice steady rate. I have lost and I have gained since then.

Right now, you're probably swollen and your body is retaining Water to heal itself.

The key to remember is that this is NOT a race -- it's more about getting the process down. Eating right, drinking your Water, and exercising (when you're able to). It's not about the scale (which just is a machine and can't tell you whether you're doing things correctly), it's not about anyone but you -- :)

So, enjoy this journey -- it will open your eyes to a whole new you -- I have never been happier, never more active, never more myself than I am right now! And you will be there too -- guarantee it! :)

Take care and lots of hugs -- I'm so excited that you've started this great process! :)

The scale will sort itself out. There was a girl from youtube who gained 20 pounds in her first week! But guess what? In the next weeks or two, she lost that PLUS 11 pounds. The body does retain a lot of Fluid from hospital and the weight loss varies between each person because of how our bodies heal or react but your scale will show your weight loss very soon. Just keep doing what you are doing and keep positive and it WILL come off! :D:D

Shaundra, I don't know about you but EVERYTIME I fly I gain weight but then it comes off after a few days. I go up and down all the time so I finally had to STAY OFF THE scale and ONLY WEIGH ONCE A WEEK. Saturday mornings are my time! Everyone is different because everyone has different weight to lose. TRUST US it will COME OFF! I'm 5 weeks out today and I hit a STALL at 3 weeks since then I'm losing 1 to 2 pounds a week. I'm OK with that because I've lost more inches. It's weird how your body works.

Hang in there you will do just fine!!!

i've gained 3!! everyone says its just our bodies adjusting. plus, you probably have a lot of retention from the fluids in your IV. once i had my surgery, it dropped all of a sudden. gotta love the stand stills. i guess we just have to keep the faith! :unsure: