Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Difficulty drinking, eating, etc. following surgery

I am having my sleeve done in 4 days. I am terrified, not of the the surgery itself so much, but of the life long changes this will mean.

Can people who have been sleeved weight in on any of the following:

How could you keep down liquids? How much Water can you get in say during physical activities such as spin class or golfing in Texas summers?

Are you ever able to eat a restaurant again? What portion of meal and veggies can typically be eaten in 1 sitting after say 6 months?

When if ever could the occasional glass of wine or a mixed drink be introduced again?

Again, not scared to the surgery, but trying to be realistic about prepping myself for the lifestyle choice which will be permanent.

Thanks so much for any feed back.

How could you keep down liquids? How much Water can you get in say during physical activities such as spin class or golfing in Texas summers?

Are you ever able to eat a restaurant again? What portion of meal and veggies can typically be eaten in 1 sitting after say 6 months?

When if ever could the occasional glass of wine or a mixed drink be introduced again?

Again, not scared to the surgery, but trying to be realistic about prepping myself for the lifestyle choice which will be permanent.

You are right in being concerned, many are just scared of the surgery and are taken by surprise by the changes afterwards.

The way I see it is that you can consider it like you and food are getting a divorce, you will not have as close a relationship and you just remain friends rather than lovers. You will eat to live, not live to eat.

I had not problem keeping down liquids and had no vomiting but many have. The secret is simply small sips taken often. At first it will be probably be VERY difficult to get enough liquids. As you should refrain from exercise and hard physical labor for about 6 weeks it should not be an issue to remain hydrated. After the 6 weeks you should be able to get in more liquids although if you are like me still not as much as before or in as large a gulp as before either. Again, small, frequent sips from like a sports bottle will keep you hydrated.

Restaurants are a big change as well. My wife and I go to a restaurant and usually order ONE entrée and split it about 75/25 with her taking the larger portion. Sometimes we even end up taking some home. Other alternatives are getting child's portions or senior portions. I've not been to a restaurant yet that would not cooperate if I explained why I could not have full size portions. If I ever did I would just eat a small part of the meal and take home the rest or leave it behind. It'll be 4 weeks or more before you can go to a restaurant so you'll have a good idea by then what you can eat or not. remember to eat Protein first and then carbs. It's a matter of selecting the best food for the small amount you can eat.

Alcohol is out for at least 6 weeks. It can be consumed but be careful as alcoholic drinks usually have a large amount of calories but an occasional drink will not hurt much.

The lifestyle choice after surgery is in reality the largest change, more than the surgery itself. It is where the battle for weight loss is won or lost. The surgery itself does little to cause weight loss, it's the consuption of fewer calories that does it. If you sabotage the sleeve by eating too often, too much and the wrong foods then you will fail the sleeve and not the sleeve fail you. There are psychological effects from the sleeve for most people and the desire to eat is lessened. However this can be overridden if you allow old habits to take hold again and eat in excess.

It will be a massive change. Just plan on it and it will work out.

I am almost 5 months out now. While there are huge changes for you ahead, some things do get back to normal - like drinking Water. I can totally gulp water and drink alot it. I can swallow large pills which I was afraid I would never be able to do again. I can eat whatever I want, just not that much of it. When I go to restaurants, I usually order something off of the appetizer menu and then still take half of it home. I can do Soup rather well and can usually eat a whole bowl of soup. Some things go down easier than others. And everyone seems to be different. I've heard that some people can manage salad really well but I can't - just doesn't digest for me. My cravings are completely gone. I used to be a total chocoholic - really bad. Now I don't want anything to do with chocolate. Life gets back to normal - just a different normal. I still can't get my head around how cool it is to eat small portions and be totally satisfied :-) You will love your sleeve. Just remember, it keeps getting better each and every day.

I am having my sleeve done in 4 days. I am terrified, not of the the surgery itself so much, but of the life long changes this will mean.

Thanks so much for any feed back.

1.I have never thrown up, have no issues keeping Water down.2. I can drink 3 1/2 oz in one swig,swallowing several times3..I ate at Red Lobster today.4. I can eat 3 oz of lean meat and 2 /tablespoons of veggies @ 9 months out. 5.I know of several poster who drink wine occasionally, probly want to wait a few months at least and be careful not to drink your calories away.

You will mourn the loss of big yummy dinners but you are getting healthy and it is sooo worth it.