Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Good and The Bad so far....

Well, I was sleeved on Monday. Here's the good:

1. I am not hungry or interested in food at all

2. I am getting my fluids in pretty easily

3. I am walking around easily

The Bad:

1. Ever since Tuesday morning, I have been in excruciating pain around the incision to the right of my belly button, it won't stop nothing helps and I think it's gas

2. I have not slept at all

3. I have not had a BM

4. This drain hurts

5. I'm tired and cranky and need reassurance I did the right thing, I know I did, but all this pain is getting to me

Well, this is where I'm at at four days out, wish I felt better. Oh and the scale hasn't moved, this is getting very depressing. I have a very high tolerance for pain but this is just plain ridiculous. Ok I can't see the screen that good anymore so that's it for me.

Sorry about the pain, it may improve with the drain out. They gave you a ton of fluids in the hospital, combine that with the surgical trauma and that is why the scale has not moved. Each day will be better than the last and by next week you wont have any doubts you did the best thing for your life!

The gas will be absorbed and passed. I hope that is what your pain is, it is most likely.

The BM issue continues to be an issue for me. You have been on a preop diet and only on liquids this week, so there is way less in there. Less in, Less out. Plus narcotics are horribly constipating. However, from the posts I have read on here, due to the decreased volume of food and the decreased amount of Fiber you will have to stay proactive for this to not be a problem. Some swear by Miralax, I have had mixed results with it. I seem to be doing pretty well with Activia yogurt.

I would think once the drain comes out and the gas dissipates you should be much more comfortable and will be able to sleep.

Try and hang in there. It will be all worth it in the long run.

You did the right thing! Let me see if I can help I am now 14 days post up so I still remember a lot.

1: you have to walk, this will help the gas (My pre-op diet was horrible so I had a lot of gas)

2: drink warm tea

3: go and buy the Gas-X strips and take as many as you want

4: have some one pat your back like a baby this will help get the gas out (it worked for me)

Hope this help. I felt horrrriiiibble post op but know I feel GREAT. Give it time.

I promise it will get better just keep walking. I know about the drain thing it is always not comfortable walking moving. Hopefully they will remove the drain from you and you will be feeling better.. Trust me my friend it does get better. good luck and please keep us posted..

that much pain you should be calling your surgeon.

Well, I was sleeved on Monday. Here's the good:

1. I am not hungry or interested in food at all

2. I am getting my fluids in pretty easily

3. I am walking around easily

The Bad:

1. Ever since Tuesday morning, I have been in excruciating pain around the incision to the right of my belly button, it won't stop nothing helps and I think it's gas

2. I have not slept at all

3. I have not had a BM

4. This drain hurts

5. I'm tired and cranky and need reassurance I did the right thing, I know I did, but all this pain is getting to me

Well, this is where I'm at at four days out, wish I felt better. Oh and the scale hasn't moved, this is getting very depressing. I have a very high tolerance for pain but this is just plain ridiculous. Ok I can't see the screen that good anymore so that's it for me.

Thanks everybody for all your thoughts and advice. I talked to my surgeon and he said I'm right where I should be at this point. I go to see him on Monday and hopefully get this drain out. I'm feeling a little better since he let me up my percocet, but still very aware of the pain. I will keep you all posted thanks again for everything, I don't know what I'd do without you guys to talk to about this

Oh that drain sucks. I think of everything I went through for surgery, the drain was the WORST (IMO). I was so happy to have that thing gone from my body! I'm glad you are talking to your doctor, everyone heals differently, so it's good to get one-on-one advice from the person who you are paying to keep tabs on you!

It will get better, I didn't have one moment of regret, and a very easy recovery. I don't think I slept well until the drain was gone for about 3 days. But each day that passes you will notice that you start feeling better and better. Rest, sip, walk. That's my advice for the stage you are in right now. Hang in there!

I'm 3 weeks out. From my experience...

1. When the drain is removed you will feel a ton better and will be able to sleep. Walk when you can.

2 Not having a BM yet is normal. It took me over 10 days when I started having something other than clear fluids.

3. Normal the scale hasn't moved yet due to all the iv fluids they pumped you with in the hospital.

It will all get better very, very soon! Hang in there.

Mike,

Not only does the antibiotics you got kill the good bacteria in your intestional tract, Perocet makes me very constipated. Try to get some really good probiatics in you via yogurts like Activia or YoPlus every day. Get plenty of fluids and try not to sit that much. Artificially sweetened things like Jello, Popsickles etc makes me have looser stools.

I've heard those drains can be painful. Mine was not at all...even when they took it out at the hospital there was absolutely no pain. I don't know why there is a difference?? Feel better REAL soon!!

My pain/discomfort improved a lot after removing the drain on day 4. I rest the most I can and I feel that after 3 hours up I need to be in bed for a while. I am trying to do all my body is asking for.

Last night I woke up in intense pain in the stomach and then I decided to try to check if it was some sort of hunger or empty stomach. I had a bit of warm chicken broth and the pain disapeared instantly. maybe we do not feel hungry but the empty stomach still resents being empty. Just some thoughts.

Speedy recovery. I had my operation done on Tuesday and feel great. I actually slept all last night and I haven't been on any pain meds since the hospital. My doctor said the more I walk the better. I went for a 4 hour walk around a museum yesterday with lost of chances to sit if I needed to. My drain will be taken out tomorrow but I believe it's ready to come out today, since nothing else is coming out. I don't know if my doc is just that good or that the rosary I recited actually helped. Lol Good luck with the pain and I hope everything works out for you.

Hey thanks again guys it's now Saturday and I'm feeling a little better. Still having alot of pain in the right side of my stomach under the incision next to my belly button. This has become my problem area, I'm walking and sipping like crazy, but it doesn't really help and the percocet seems to be less and less effective. Now, I also have heartburn and I took my nexium, so idk what that's about. Does anyone know if we can take tums, I may just repost this question, because I can't remember for the life of me. Thanks again for everything guys it's great to hear from all of you, I don't feel so alone in this. Thanks alot

the drain was the WORST!!! The stabbing pain in from it. Happened to me. You will feel so much better once that sucker is out!! I focused all my hatred on the drain and got through Clear liquids rather easily! LOL

As for the Constipation. ....I didn't go until 2 weeks. You can take Miralax. After you can eat solids, eat high Fiber for Breakfast. I use splenda with Fiber and every time I have a Protein shake, i put some benefiber in it. It will get easier.

sleep propped up until the drain is out and most importantly take the pain meds the doctor gave you at night!!!

I was 100% myself by week 4 and you will be too!!!