Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

best surgery/outcome for bigger people

Hi everyone,

I am researching various WLS and I do have a question/concern. I currently weigh around 370 lbs at a height of 5'10" (53.1 BMI). I used to weigh around 230 ten years ago and have dieted may way up to this weight - as I'm sure many of you can relate.

Anyways - I see tons of people on here that have lost lots of weight....but most people are around 80-100 pounds weight loss. I don't see many with 100+ weight loss - there are a few but not many.

My goal weight is around 168-170 (BMI of 24). Would a VSG be the best surgery for me? I really like the fact that it doesn't cause malabsorption and is restrictive only. It also seems to have fewer complications. I also have usually taken anti imflammatories for my gout and I would be able to continue to do so with the sleeve, but not RNY.

I guess I am just worried that sleeve will be a great tool to help me get down to say 260-250....but will kinda stop working and leave me flat there. If I am going to have surgery I am going all the way baby....if I set a goal I want to reach it.

Any comments or encouragement would be helpful - especially from those that have lost large amts of weight. Thanks!

EDIT: I am 32 years old and quite active - so I do plan to exercise and be more active as the weight comes off if that makes any difference for potential weight loss.

Hi everyone,

I am researching various WLS and I do have a question/concern. I currently weigh around 370 lbs at a height of 5'10" (53.1 BMI). I used to weigh around 230 ten years ago and have dieted may way up to this weight - as I'm sure many of you can relate.

Anyways - I see tons of people on here that have lost lots of weight....but most people are around 80-100 pounds weight loss. I don't see many with 100+ weight loss - there are a few but not many.

My goal weight is around 168-170 (BMI of 24). Would a VSG be the best surgery for me? I really like the fact that it doesn't cause malabsorption and is restrictive only. It also seems to have fewer complications. I also have usually taken anti imflammatories for my gout and I would be able to continue to do so with the sleeve, but not RNY.

I guess I am just worried that sleeve will be a great tool to help me get down to say 260-250....but will kinda stop working and leave me flat there. If I am going to have surgery I am going all the way baby....if I set a goal I want to reach it.

Any comments or encouragement would be helpful - especially from those that have lost large amts of weight. Thanks!

EDIT: I am 32 years old and quite active - so I do plan to exercise and be more active as the weight comes off if that makes any difference for potential weight loss.

The Sleeve is the first of two proceedures for the DS. If you are losing fine on the sleeve you will not need the second part the malabsorption part of the proceedure for the duodenal switch. But, if you are not losing the amount of weitght it is easier to get the second surgery for the malabsorption. Just giving you the information to make an informed decision.

My bmi was 50 when I started, and as you can see by my ticker, I've lost a considerable amount of weight. I lost 138lbs with VSG alone, and did it in 10.5 months. I firmly believe that the sleeve is an effective and fabulous WLS.

You can do it. I was 32 when I had my sleeve, and here I am rocking life 20 months post-op.

For me, there are far too many negatives with RNY, and I wanted to have a "normal" life. The sleeve gave me that and much more. The sleeve continues to work for me even in maintenance.

There are tons of 'heavyweights' over on OH that have lost 200+ pounds. So, don't get discouraged ! ! !

Hi everyone,

Any weight loss surgery is what YOU make of it!!! I just hit my 6th mth mark about 2 weeks ago and I have lost over 125 pounds (with only a VSG!!!) I just turned 28 last October and I am still able to go to dinner with my friends and hit the bars after!!! You seem like the kind of person who knows what they want and honestly knows what they need to do to reach goals I am sure you can make a VSG work for you...

I'm 6' even and weight 375 and was sleeved 12/6/10. Lost over 75 pounds in 2 months + 1 week and still loosing.

It CAN work for you but as previously pointed out ONLY IF YOU MAKE IT WORK. If you take advantage of the surgery and return to unhealthy eating habits and continuously graze and eat around the sleeve then it will do you NO good. YOU have to be prepared to make a DRASTIC change to your relationship with food. It's going to be a heart wrenching breakup but you have to get a DIVORCE and see food as a friend and not a partner.

Eat to live, not live to eat.

YOU have to be prepared to make a DRASTIC change to your relationship with food. It's going to be a heart wrenching breakup but you have to get a DIVORCE and see food as a friend and not a partner.

Eat to live, not live to eat.

Couldn't have said it better -- the sleeve will allow you to make a change in the relationship with your food -- BUT, you have to want to do it. WLS is never the whole answer to any problem with food or weight -- it's only a TOOL. And, if you use like a tool, then you'll get where you want to go. But if you don't and you eat like you did in the past, and you don't exercise, you'll only get more of the same.

So, it sounds like the sleeve will work for you if you're will to work with it. :)

I absolutely love love love this thing -- and I'm doing my best to work every aspect of it that I can :)

Hi everyone,

Hi Doggz.....go to www.realize.com and type in the search bar verticalsleeve and look at the precentage of weight that one looses...It says that they loose between 60/80% of there body fat...if this is the surgery for you,you will get down to your dream weight,,the bypass will help too,I am scared of the bypass because of the rerouting,but it is the Idea for people that weighs between 350/500 or better but they are all tools to help you loose...so if you want this surgery dont let anyone detear you from getting it because it will help you to loose the weight...I personally do not want the lapband or the bypass....If my insurance doesnt quilify me for the sleeve..I will remain overweight till something else comes along..........I pray for you and you pray for me...thanks for posting...all you need to do is to see the % of weight lost....I hope this will help you out....camille01

I started out at 5'8 508lbs and female (still female :P). I had the VSG August 20 2010, so just shy of 6 months. My BMI was like 73 I think. As you can see from my ticker I have lost almost 120lbs in that 6 months, I am down to 366 and my BMI is around 56. I have not "officially" exercised but I am much more active, and will be starting at a gym this month, which will only help my weight loss continue.

Getting to 508lbs obviously means I must have food issues....which have severely dissipated w/the surgery. I have not had a hard time losing even with some monthly stalls, and holiday eating which taught me a good lesson. The lesson was that if you eat the wrong foods to often, you will stall, and perhaps put on some pounds...but eating the wrong stuff occasionally, will not stop that weight loss.

I feel more like a human being, and I am that person that I always envied who could eat a small bit of something and feel satisfied. No more 1 bite of something leading to eating the whole bag, cake, bar, pizza, ice cream container. 1 bite is just that 1 bite and I am good with it.

I can't answer you as to what might happen at 260 or so, but I can not imagine that with exercise and good food choices you or I would just suddenly stop losing for ever. It might be slower weight loss, but I think the body will keep going until it is at a healthy weight. Everyone is different and your mileage may vary, but I would recommend this surgery to anyone as long as they are mentally prepared for making some big changes in the way they relate to food.

First, Welcome!! Keep researching, you'll see lots of people who have lost over 200 lbs. with the Sleeve alone. It totally can be done!

Here's a shining example: I don't know if you're on OH, but here's a guy who's lost more than I weighed at my highest. Click on his name underneath his picture to see his before and afters (durings?)...he has totally rocked this thing. :D

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4319622/Jimbovsgs-pics-Finally-Pre-ops-take-note-285lbs-GONE-long/

Good luck with your research, and ultimately go with what you feel in your gut is the best surgery for you!

I suggest you keep researching to find the best answer for you. I spent a lot of time on google looking for complications and lifestyle changes before making my decision. My original thought was to get the lap band but the thought of going to a doctor to get fills through a port and paying each time made it an easy no. Since I was getting the surgery done in costa rica a mini gastric was available to me as well however the U.S. Association of bariatric and metabolism something or another stated it wasn't a safe procedure. I had never heard of the sleeve before and there is no long range stats so I spent time on the forums and reading before going for it. I'm only four days out so i can tell you the long range for me however my doctor was amazing. I only spent 1 night in the hospital and have felt no pain which is good as the doctor only gave me tylonol for the pain but I don't even need it. I am taking an anti inflammation pill and a antibiotic since I had a gall bladder infection before the surgery. Other than that I've already lost 15 pounds and feeling great. I'm looking forward to the life style changed I want to make and I've always wanted to run a marathon so I'm making that my goal.

good luck whatever u decide.