Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet Post op questions

My bariatric options class through Kaiser finally got a surgeon to come talk to us about post op diet. He said we would be on Clear Liquids for 4 days, regular liquids for up to 12 weeks, pureed foods from 12 wks to about 5 mos, then start shredded foods.

He also said absolutely no gum, corn or grapes, and no drinking through a straw.

So my question is, is this right? Am I going to be on liquids for 3 mos. and pureed for another two months after that? I don't think I could do that. I thought it would be around a month or two tops before I could start shredded or soft real food.

Please let me know your experiences, and what your doctors gave you for a timeline. Maybe I"m wrong and this is normal for this procedure. All I know is if it's going to take almost 5 mos. to be able to eat real food, I'm going to be really frustrated.

I would get a clarity on all of that because it kinda seems harsh.. He may be trying to see if you are really commited with going through this..Some docs are just not friendly. My post op is 2 weeks clear,2 weeks thick liquid(yogurt,pudding,) 2 weeks soft foods, then the rest being starting to introduce foods back in my diet slowly.. That Is a really harsh I think myself and I would be questioning it my self..Just my opinion.

Wow, I think thats the most drastic timeline I've heard!! Mine was 1 week clear fluids, 2 week full liquids (second week added eggs), 1 week purred/soft foods, 1 week mushy and then onto solids. My recovery went from soft to solids though per my NUT and doc!!

I know. Now I'm questioning my commitment, which is probably what he wanted. I was prepared to go without real food for about 2 months, but I don't think I could do 5. We just met with one surgeon though( and he would only recommend the roux en y, so perhaps the diet is for those patients), so I 'm just praying at this point that I get a different surgeon.

Personally, i think he is really just testing your resolve. If it is an ***-not to sound rude- but their goal is to minimize care so keep that in mind please. Again, im not faulting you or your hospital/insurance of choice; just keep in mind there is a profit motive. You should be on regular food by 2months out :)

That sounds very unusual to me. Could he be talking about the outside possibilities (like worst-case-scenario?). For some people, they do stay on mushies for longer because they are more restricted, but typically (from what I've seen), you start moving into "real food" sometime around 6 weeks. I found it pretty easy (except for the first two weeks of liquids, which just got boring), and at about 6 weeks, I have a combination of mushy foods and a few solids. I don't think what he is describing is typical.

Hard core! did he pass out a handout with the details? Boo.

two days clear liquid,

two weeks full liquid

two weeks pureed

two weeks soft

then regular chewed well. So just over 6 weeks till starting to introduce regular food.

No tomatoes for 8 weeks....

avoid hot sauce, and seeds.

Hi Sarah. Just to let you know, Kaiser in Northern California is quite different in their staged nutrition. I was on clear liquids until the day I went home from the hospital (so, only one and a half days total) then went to stage two which is "full-liquids" including yogurt, creamy Soups, s/f pudding,etc. Stage two lasted two weeks, until I had my follow-up appointment and then I was advanced to stage three, which is purred and ground foods and soft fruits and veggies. That's where I am now and that stage only lasts 4-6 weeks then it's to to stage four, regular food with some restrictions.

I would clarify with your nutritionist as to what the protocol really is. My expierience tells me that sometimes when surgeons focus in areas where they are not expert, the result can sometimes be a bit misguided. Don't give up, the surgery is amazing and even in stage three, I have lots of choices and variety.

Thanks All!! I really think this guy was trying to scare us. I plan on calling the lady in charge of nutrition for sleevers monday, to see if she has anything different to say.

I agree, that can't be right...I had two weeks of full liquids, two of purees, two of mushies, two of soft solids, then on to whatever I could tolerate at 8 weeks. Actually, by then my surgeon wanted very little in the way of Liquid Protein. There's got to be miscommunication there somewhere... let us know what you find out!

I've never heard of that. That can't be right. I would get clarification. I couldn't do that either if I had to.

Do they profit from the liquid that you're supposed to be drinking for three months? I can't really think of any other reason why they'd tell you such a thing. I'm 3 months out now, and I eat 100% all food. No Protein supplements of any kind. I'm talking all kinds of Protein, veg, etc. My diet went like this. I know typing it all out is a bit obnoxious and that not all docs reccommend the same things. I just wanted to give you a dose of my sleeve reality and show you that it's not as scary extreme as that doctor made it out to be.

Phase 1 - Day 2 through the end of week 1: 1oz of clear liquid every 30 minutes that you are awake. (Crystal light, Decaf coffee or tea, sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles, broth, etc)

Phase 2 - Day 8 through Day 14: Full liquid diet. All made very soupy: oatmeal, Grits, Cream of wheat, Milk, Soups strained of all food particles, Sugar free/fat free puddings and custards. All liquids from phase 1.

Phase 3 - Weeks 3 and 4. Soft diet. Begin protein supplementation of 30-60 grams a day if you've had no issues so far. May add blended foods using skim milk or Water. Blended meats or casseroles, baby food consistency. All foods from phases 1 and 2. Add low fat cheese, cottage cheese, low or no fat/low sugar greek yogurt, eggs, very tender cooked dried Beans, cooked dried peas, smooth Peanut Butter.

Phase 4

Week 5 and 6 - You may add soft protein foods such as tuna salad, egg salad, chicken salad made with light mayo. Baked fish.

Week 7 - Add chicken. Not fried, no skin, white meat preferable. (I also added shrimp here.)

Week 8 and 9 - Add soft fruits and vegetables - No Skins. Kiwi, strawberries, bananas, cantaloupes, watermelon, oranges, canned peaches, pears, etc. Canned fruit must be canned in it's own juice, no added sugar. No raisins, grapes or coconut! Vegetables that are steamed until soft. No raw veg.

Week 10 - You may add crunchy fruits and Veg. pineapple, fresh pears, apples, peaches, etc Peeled grapes. Spinach, greens, cabbage, raw celery, carrots, etc. Salads with low fat dressing.

Week 12 - Add LEAN beef and pork. Make certain that you chew thoroughly (at least 25 times).

Sounds really extreme!! Mine is similar to the others:

two days clear liquid,

12 days full liquid (strained Soup, cream of wheat & yogurt - both thinned out w/milk -I'm in this stage right now.)

two weeks pureed (stage 1 & 2 baby food, cottage cheese, etc.)

two weeks soft (eggs, crab, shrimp - can't wait for this stage!!!!)

then regular, but introducing foods one at a time.

My bariatric options class through Kaiser finally got a surgeon to come talk to us about post op diet. He said we would be on Clear Liquids for 4 days, regular liquids for up to 12 weeks, pureed foods from 12 wks to about 5 mos, then start shredded foods.

He also said absolutely no gum, corn or grapes, and no drinking through a straw.

So my question is, is this right? Am I going to be on liquids for 3 mos. and pureed for another two months after that? I don't think I could do that. I thought it would be around a month or two tops before I could start shredded or soft real food.

Please let me know your experiences, and what your doctors gave you for a timeline. Maybe I"m wrong and this is normal for this procedure. All I know is if it's going to take almost 5 mos. to be able to eat real food, I'm going to be really frustrated.

Sounds like SOMEBODY hit the ole crack pipe right before the meeting! :hat: Is this dude going to be doing your surgery? If so, you might want to either have a one on one with him ASAP or talk to another doctor within Kaiser about a REAL postop diet.

I posted a copy of my postop diet on my blog if you want to check it out.

Best wishes.

Which kaiser are you having it done at? I just had mine on 1/24/11 in South San Francisco and once I left the hospital I was on soft foods for 2 weeks until my follow up appointment and then moved to phase 3... pureed and soft moist meats. I would question this as I would think that all Kaisers should have the same protocal.