Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Splenda - What do you know?

I've recently started putting splenda back in my Decaf tea again and went from never being hungry to feeling like I've started to get more hungry and have cravings. I don't know if it's in my head or the splenda. Please share with me' what you know on this topic. I'm also pre period so I don't know if that is affecting me' or the splenda.

Thank you in advance.

Well, it could be the Splenda lab studies have found that sweeteners actually made mice hungrier. Personally, from my experience with sugar free this and sugar free that, I am really careful because it triggers me to want more for some reason not long after eating some. Here is a link to a site I was reading from it is very interesting...I sometimes think caveman would have rather been chewing on a sugar cane stick why do we have all this laboratory produced crap.

Splenda Exposed

Splenda Dangers

Have you tried the Stevia instead..I have this with my tea and I squeeze real lemon in it. After im done im full and It hold me until lunch with no cravings at all... I did do splenda and felt just like you.. but the Stevia don't give me that feeling try it..everyone is different though...good luck

I use alcohol free, liquid stevia drops and I've never had that problem. If I didn't use the drops, I'd let my tea and lemon Water sit there until it got gross, and then toss it. Just those couple of drops of stevia make it so tasty to me and then I drink all day long.

Hello,I am not to sure about splenda but I have been using the pink stuff-sweet-low for many -many yrs I mean about 15 yrs and Nothing has gone wrong or I have never experiance and side affects such as it making me hungrier,I watch Dr Oz all the time and he said if you are going to use any type is sweetner he said that it is best to use sugar because you are tricking your body into thinking that you are using sugar and there is nothing to burn(calories)so it is best to use sugar so your body can burn it off.....I have been using the pink stuff for so long I cant change back because sugar taste sooo sweet to me now....

Thanks. I will try Stevia. However there is a blizzard warning in my state and the roads are coated with ice at the moment. I will try it in a few days

New Study of Splenda Reveals Shocking Information About Potential Harmful Effects

Posted By Dr. Mercola | February 10 2009 | 296,373 views

[/url]James Turner, the chairman of the national consumer education group Citizens for Health, has expressed shock and outrage after reading a new report from scientists outlining the dangers of the artificial sweetener Splenda (sucralose).In animals examined for the study, Splenda reduced the amount of good bacteria in the intestines by 50 percent, increased the pH level in the intestines, contributed to increases in body weight and affected P-glycoprotein (P-gp) levels in such a way that crucial health-related drugs could be rejected.

The P-gp effect could result in medications used in chemotherapy, AIDS treatment and treatments for heart conditions being shunted back into the intestines, rather than being absorbed by the body.

According to Turner, "The report makes it clear that the artificial sweetener Splenda and its key component sucralose pose a threat to the people who consume the product. Hundreds of consumers have complained to us about side effects from using Splenda and this study ... confirms that the chemicals in the little yellow package should carry a big red warning label."

Sources:

bullet.gifGlobe Newswire September 28, 2008

bullet.gif Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health Part A 2008;71(21):1415-29 

Dr. Mercola's Comments:    

It’s very important to realize that Splenda (sucralose) is actually NOT sugar, despite its marketing slogan “Made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar”. Rather it’s a chlorinated artificial sweetener in line with aspartame and saccharin, and with detrimental health effects to match.

Splenda was approved by the FDA in 1998 as a tabletop sweetener and for use in products such as baked goods, nonalcoholic beverages, chewing gum, frozen dairy Desserts, fruit juices, and gelatins. Sucralose is also permitted as a general-purpose sweetener for all processed foods.

The approval was given after the FDA supposedly reviewed more than 110 animal and human safety studies, but as you’ll soon find out, out of these 110 studies, only two were human studies, and the longest one was conducted for four days!

There’s overwhelming evidence that consuming artificial sweeteners will likely wreak havoc on your body. Previous news has centered mainly around artificial sweeteners’ ability to impair your appetite regulation and leading to weight gain.

For example, it’s been discovered that   diet soda increases your risk of metabolic syndrome  and, ultimately, heart disease.

However, the study mentioned above, published in the  Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health , found even further disturbing news besides weight gain. Splenda:

They also found unmistakable evidence that Splenda is absorbed by fat, contrary to previous claims.

It’s truly disturbing that Splenda can destroy up to 50 percent of your healthy intestinal bacteria, as these bacteria help maintain your body's overall balance of friendly versus unfriendly micro-organisms, and support your general health. Many people are already deficient in healthy bacteria due to choosing highly processed foods. This is why   a high quality probiotic  is one of the very few supplements I highly recommend for nearly everyone.

The Diet Fallacy

The belief that consuming artificially sweetened foods and drinks will help you to lose or maintain weight is a carefully orchestrated deception. So if you are still opting for diet choices for this reason, please understand that you have been sorely misled.

In reality, these diet foods and drinks can cause serious distortions in your biochemistry and   ruin your body's ability to control calories . As a matter of fact, it’s been shown that diet soft drinks can   double  your risk of obesity !

Nearly a decade ago , studies were already revealing that artificial sweeteners can:

Unfortunately, most public health agencies and nutritionists in the United States still recommend these toxic artificial sweeteners as an acceptable alternative to sugar.

Now, I am definitely not a fan of sugar, but if I had to choose between sugar and any   artificial sweetener , I would choose sugar, hands down, without question. I strongly believe artificial sweeteners are even more dangerous to your health than an excess of sugar. 

The Health Dangers of Splenda

According to James Turner, the chairman of the national consumer education group Citizens for Health:

"This report followed accepted policies and procedures and the results make clear the potential for disturbing side effects from the ingestion of Splenda.

It is like putting a pesticide in your body. And this is at levels of intake erroneously approved by the food and Drug Administration.

A person eating two slices of cake and drinking two cups of coffee containing Splenda would ingest enough sucralose to affect the P-glycoprotein, while consuming just seven little Splenda packages reduces good bacteria."

The web site   www.truthaboutsplenda.com  lists a variety of consumer complaints from Splenda consumption, such as:

My site also contains a long list of   personal testimonials  from readers who have suffered side effects from Splenda. In fact, we have more people on our site that have reported adverse reactions to Splenda than were formally studied in the research submitted for FDA approval!

The symptoms are so numerous I can’t include them all here, but the following are common symptoms, usually noticed within a 24-hour period following consumption of Splenda products:

Beware – You Could be Consuming Splenda Without Your Knowledge

You also need to be aware of the fact that although the bulk of Splenda is sold to   processed food manufacturers  and   soft drink bottlers , it could turn up in your medicine as well, as nearly 10 percent of all sucralose is sold to drug companies.

Many times sucralose (Splenda) will not be listed in the drug information, so there simply is no way you would know you are consuming a potentially dangerous artificial sweetener. However, if you experience any of the symptoms above even though you’re avoiding Splenda and other artificial sweeteners, then it may be worth investigating the ingredients of any medications you’re taking as well.

Splenda Has NEVER Been Proven Safe for Human Consumption

As of 2006, only six human trials have been published on Splenda. Of these six trials, only two of the trials were completed and published before the FDA approved sucralose for human consumption, and the two published trials had a grand total of 36 total human subjects.

36 people sure doesn't sound like many, but wait, it gets worse: only 23 total were actually given sucralose for testing, and here is the real kicker -- The longest trial at this time had lasted only four days, and looked at sucralose in relation to tooth decay, not human tolerance.

Even more shocking, the absorption of Splenda into the human body was studied on a grand total of  six  men! Based on that one human   study , the FDA allowed the findings to be generalized as being representative of the entire human population. Including women, children, the elderly, and those with any chronic illness -- none of whom were ever examined.

The FDA claims they reviewed over 100 studies conducted on Splenda. What they don't tell you is that most of the studies were on animals. And, those animal studies reveal plenty of problems, such as:

Chemically, Splenda is More Similar to DDT Than Sugar 

Yes. Splenda bears more chemical similarity to DDT than it does to sugar.

Sucralose is in fact a synthetic chemical that was originally cooked up in a laboratory. It does start off as a sugar molecule. Then, in a five-step patented process of making sucralose, three chlorine molecules are added to a sucrose (sugar) molecule. The chemical process to make sucralose alters the chemical composition of the sugar so much that it is somehow converted to a fructo-galactose molecule.

This type of sugar molecule does not occur in nature, and therefore your body does not possess the ability to properly metabolize it. As a result of this "unique" biochemical make-up, McNeil Nutritionals makes its claim that Splenda is not digested or metabolized by the body, hence it has zero calories.

But, if you look at the research (which is primarily extrapolated form animal studies) you will see that in fact an average of 15 percent of sucralose IS absorbed into your digestive system, and according to this latest study, it is also absorbed into your fat cells.

Unfortunately, if you are healthy and your digestive system works well, you may be at HIGHER risk for breaking down this product in your stomach and intestines!

Your Healthiest Alternatives 

If you have a craving for sweets, rather than trying to find "healthier" ways to continue indulging in them, it is in your best interest to learn ways to relieve your cravings.

The obvious one would be to stop eating any of the products to begin with. But sweets are powerfully   addictive  – sugar has even been shown to be   more addictive than cocaine .   Stevia  is a preferable natural substitute, which can be used in making most dishes and drinks.

However, complete avoidance of sweets is often necessary to break your addictive cycle, as your   hormones insulin  and leptin likely play an important role in your cravings.

If you are unable to achieve abstinence from sweets, your emotional connection to cravings might be an important factor for you. One of the most profound methods I know of for diminishing the effects of food cravings is the   Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) . EFT is the psychological acupressure technique routinely used in my practice to   help people reduce their cravings .

There is enough evidence showing the dangers of consuming artificial sweeteners to fill an entire book -- which is exactly why I wrote   Sweet Deception . If you or your loved ones drink diet beverages or eat diet foods, this book will explain how you've been deceived about the truth behind artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose -- for greed, for profits ... and at the expense of your own health.

The Potential Dangers of Sucralose (Splenda)

Posted By Dr. Mercola | December 03 2000 | 244,463 views

Is Splenda Really As Safe As They Claim It to Be? As of 2006, only six human trials have been published on Splenda (sucralose). Of these six trials, only two of the trials were completed and published before the FDA approved sucralose for human consumption. The two published trials had a grand total of 36 total human subjects.

36 people sure doesn't sound like many, but wait, it gets worse, only 23 total were actually given sucralose for testing and here is the real killer:

The longest trial at this time had lasted only four days and looked at sucralose in relation to tooth decay, not human tolerance.

Why Do You Need to Know About Splenda?

Splenda, best known for its marketing ploy, "made from sugar so it tastes like sugar," has taken the sweetener industry by storm. Splenda has become the nation's number one selling artificial sweetener in a very short period of time.

Between 2000 and 2004, the percentage of US households using Splenda products jumped from 3 to 20 percent. In a one year period, Splenda sales topped $177 million compared with $62 million spent on aspartame-based Equal and $52 million on saccharin-based Sweet 'N Low.

McNeil Nutritionals, in their marketing pitch for Splenda emphasizes that Splenda has endured some of the most rigorous testing to date for any food additive. Enough so to convince the average consumer that it is in fact safe. They claim that over 100 studies have been conducted on Splenda. What they don't tell you is that most of the studies are on animals.

Additional Concerns About Splenda Studies

There have been no long-term human toxicity studies published until after the FDA approved sucralose for human consumption. Following FDA approval a human toxicity trial was conducted, but lasted only three months, hardly the length of time most Splenda users plan to consume sucralose. No studies have ever been done on children or pregnant women.

Much of the controversy surrounding Splenda does not focus just on its safety, but rather on its false advertising claims. The competition among sweeteners is anything but sweet. The sugar industry is currently suing McNeil Nutritionals for implying that Splenda is a natural form of sugar with no calories.

Is It REALLY Sugar?

There is no question that sucralose starts off as a sugar molecule, it is what goes on in the factory that is concerning. Sucralose is a synthetic chemical that was originally cooked up in a laboratory. In the five step patented process of making sucralose, three chlorine molecules are added to a sucrose or sugar molecule. A sucrose molecule is a disaccharide that contains two single sugars bound together; glucose and fructose.

The chemical process to make sucralose alters the chemical composition of the sugar so much that it is somehow converted to a fructo-galactose molecule. This type of sugar molecule does not occur in nature and therefore your body does not possess the ability to properly metabolize it. As a result of this "unique" biochemical make-up, McNeil Nutritionals makes its claim that Splenda is not digested or metabolized by the body, making it have zero calories.

It is not that Splenda is naturally zero calories. If your body had the capacity to metabolize it then it would no longer have zero calories.

How Much Splenda is Left In Your Body After You Eat It?

If you look at the research (which is primarily extrapolated form animal studies) you will see that in fact 15% of sucralose is absorbed into your digestive system and ultimately is stored in your body. To reach a number such as 15% means some people absorb more and some people absorb less. In one human study, one of the eight participants did not excrete any sucralose even after 3 days. Clearly his body was absorbing and metabolizing this chemical. That is what our bodies are supposed to do.

The bottom line is that we all have our own unique biochemical make-up. Some of you will absorb and metabolize more than others. If you are healthy and your digestive system works well, you may be at higher risk for breaking down this product in your stomach and intestines. Please understand that it is impossible for the manufacturers of Splenda to make any guarantees based on their limited animal data.

If you feel that Splenda affects you adversely, it is valid. Don"t let someone convince you that it is all in your head. You know your body better than anyone else.

How to Determine if Splenda is Harming You

The best way to determine if Splenda or sucralose is affecting you is to perform an elimination/challenge with it. First eliminate it and other artificial sweeteners from your diet completely for a period of one to two weeks. After this period reintroduce it in sufficient quantity.

For example, use it in your beverage in the morning, and eat at least two sucralose containing products the remainder of the day. On this day, avoid other artificial sweeteners so that you are able to differentiate which one may be causing a problem for you. Do this for a period of one to three days. Take notice of how your body is feeling, particularly if it feels different than when you were artificial sweetener free.

Splenda May Still Be Harming You

If you complete the elimination/challenge trial described above and do not notice any changes then it appears you are able to tolerate Splenda acutely. However, please understand that you are not out of the woods yet.

The entire issue of long-term safety has never been established. Let's look at the facts again:

• There have only been six human trials to date
  • The longest trial lasted three months
  • At LEAST 15% of Splenda is not excreted from your body in a timely manner

Considering that Splenda bears more chemical similarity to DDT than it does to sugar, are you willing to bet your health on this data? Remember that fat soluble substances, such as DDT, can remain in your fat for decades and devastate your health.

If the above facts don't concern because you believe the FDA would not ever allow a toxic substance into the market then read on.

Do You Really Believe These People Are Going to Protect You?

Please consider that the only organizations between you and potentially toxic side effects are the FDA and the manufacturers of sucralose (Tate & Lyle) and of Splenda (McNeil Nutritionals).

The FDA has a long standing history of ineffective screening and rampant conflict of interests as demonstrated in their inability to identify Vioxx as too dangerous to be on the market. This mistake cost 55,000 people their lives.

Now the point I want you to understand here, because it is really important, is that Splenda is not a drug and is only a food additive. As such the number of studies required to receive FDA approval is substantially less than drug. Vioxx had an order of magnitude of more comprehensive clinical trials than Splenda ever did, and despite this rigorous approval process it still killed 55,000 people.

So, now you have the primary concerns I have about Splenda and the choices is yours.

Read Splenda Horror Stories

We have more people on our site that have reported adverse reaction to Splenda than were formally studied in the research submitted for FDA approval. It would seem this collection of data is in some ways superior to the data submitted to the FDA for Splenda approval.

You can help us continue our Splenda research by supplying us with your own experience. If you or anyone you know have had an adverse reaction to Splenda or sucralose containing products please tell us your story.

<A href="/sites/articles/archive/2000/12/03/sucralose-testimonials.aspx" s_oc="null">

Dr. Mercola's Comments: [/url]  

Don't let these large companies fool you. There is no magic alternative to sugar when it comes to sweeteners. You simply can not have your cake and eat it too when it comes to this area. It is far too early to tell, as not enough people have consumed this product to observe large numbers of adverse effects. 

However, I have had a number of patients in our Wellness Center who have had some severe Migraines and even seizures possibly from consuming this product.

My advice?

AVOID Sucralose.

I am fond of telling people that if something tastes sweet you probably should spit it out as it is not likely to be to good for you. This of course, is a humorous exaggeration, but for most people who struggle with chronic illness, it is likely to be a helpful guide.

PLEASE note this article is being written in 2000. This is one of the first comprehensive clear investigative reports and warnings on sucralose on the Internet. 

Related Articles:

Sources: 

Wow! Scary stuff! I have practically lived on Splenda since I was diagnosed with diabetes. I know there are certain days where I feel hungrier than others and could never figure out why. I am able to get my Water in only because I use wally world's version of crystal lite. I am going to ditch that stuff today! I wish I liked stevia. I have several versions of it but it has this slight aftertaste of licorice and I HATE licorice. My favorite meal is greek yogurt with Splenda and vanilla (and sometimes blueberries -mmmm!) <sigh>

I am off to clear out the kitchen. Maybe this will even break my stall!

There are some really great HEALTHY sweetners! Stevia also comes in flavors so experiment a little before you write it off. You get used to it.

Besides Stevia, there is:

• Lo Han or Liu Han (inulin) Feeds good bacteria in intestines (somewhat expensive but I've recently tried Dr. Mercola's New whey chocolate Protein bars and they were pretty damn tasty!)
  • Yacon – Peruvian Tuber (FOS) Syrup: Amazing therapeutic properties. The body is not able to break it down as sugar and it passes through and then promotes the good bacteria in the intestines. Tastes like a cross between honey and molasses – a good, inexpensive brand is Amazon Therapeutic (brown glass jar and red label) sells for $16 for 16 oz jar (can probably find it cheaper on-line). I use this stuff a lot and I love it! I'm not a fan of honey or molasses but this stuff has a fantastic rich, sweet, taste. I use just a drop in my oatmeal and it tastes fantastic!
  • Xylitol – Has antibacterial properties. You should always carry mints (look for Spry mints) or gum sweetened with this if you can’t brush after a meal. It’s being used more and more in foods and toothpastes and such! Very healthy and affordable!
  • Erithratol (sp) is also antibacterial. This is a sugar alcohol so it can cause digestive upset if you eat too much. It tastes more like 'real' sugar than Splenda or any of the other artificial sweetners.

You will have to do a little research to find which ones of these have high glycemic index. I know Erithratol is low but not sure about the others....

Wow! Scary stuff! I have practically lived on Splenda since I was diagnosed with diabetes. I know there are certain days where I feel hungrier than others and could never figure out why. I am able to get my Water in only because I use wally world's version of crystal lite. I am going to ditch that stuff today! I wish I liked stevia. I have several versions of it but it has this slight aftertaste of licorice and I HATE licorice. My favorite meal is greek yogurt with Splenda and vanilla (and sometimes blueberries -mmmm!) <sigh>

Is Stevia and aTruvia the same thing?

Is Stevia and aTruvia the same thing?

I haven't done a lot of research on Truvia because I would much rather stick to the natural sweetners. At first I read that it is made from Stevia but this is some clever and very misleading marketing. It's actually made mostly from erythratrol and Rebiana (comes from Stevia leaf) is just ONE Of the ingredients. A red flag for me is that the third ingredient is 'natural flavors' which could mean almost anything.

I have Xylitol, Stevia, Splenda, and my FAVORITE one, AGAVE Nectar(looks like honey), look it up it is much much closer to the real thing chemically speaking and does not spike your blood sugar.

I have Xylitol, Stevia, Splenda, and my FAVORITE one, AGAVE Nectar(looks like honey), look it up it is much much closer to the real thing chemically speaking and does not spike your blood sugar.

Check out this article on agave syrup: food.aspx" rel="external nofollow">http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/03/30/beware-of-the-agave-nectar-health-food.aspx

Sorry :( I loved it, too.

Ewww...really? I can't stand licorice either and I have never noticed this aftertaste with the brand that I use. It's very clean tasting, kind of reminds me of sweet n low. I use the Nu Naturals Alcohol Free Stevia. There is a vanilla flavored one that looks almost exactly the same, but I prefer the clean taste. If I want vanilla, I'll add it myself. I get it at the health food store (can be very hard to find) and it costs about $8 a bottle. At first I thought that was a little pricey for such a little bottle, but I've had the same bottle for two months, and am only about halfway through it.

Here's a link. Be sure to check out the reviews. A lot of people mention the lack of aftertaste.

http://www.iherb.com...59-ml/4460?at=0