Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need reassurance- been sick today

I am just over three weeks post-op and have been following my NUT guidelines to a tee. For lunch, it says 1 scrambled egg, one tablespoon of vegies and one tablespoon of Pasta. Well on my plate it looked a bit much for me but I tried to eat it. I had some egg and took a break and continued. I then felt sick and the food basically slid up to my throat and I was sick. There was no excessive pain or nausea but I was scared I stretched my sleeve, I know it's probably not the case but I'm still worried. This evening, I took one tiny spoonfull of mushy meat and chewed really well and it came up again. I called the nurse and she said she was surprised I can eat a whole egg as she can't (she has had the bypass surgery.) So I worried about that, even though it was in my nutritional guidelines...

I've been feeling faint today and sick from last night. I have basically had a small, half cup of Soup, one egg and a small spoonfull of meat so it doesn't seem I have overeaten. I just feel like I could have prevented this and am a bit worried.

Have any of you had similar experiences and is this the norm? I ate fairly slowly and took little breaks and it may be the egg was too heavy but it felt like I had just that one bite too much and maybe didn't listen to my full signals enough.

I hope this is redeemable and that no damage has been done as I would be really devestated if that was the case.

When the food came up it sat in my throat and I just gentlyy pushed my throat and it popped up, as it felt dense. Sorry for the info there but that made me paranoid too, as I kept thinking, I shouldn't have pushed it, I should have tried to swallow it down and was anxious about that. I have ocd and anxiety, so a lot of my thinking can be obsessive and I am a complete perfectionist so sometimes it can be hard and I feel I fail when things seem to go wrong.

I am just over three weeks post-op and have been following my NUT guidelines to a tee. For lunch, it says 1 scrambled egg, one tablespoon of vegies and one tablespoon of Pasta. Well on my plate it looked a bit much for me but I tried to eat it. I had some egg and took a break and continued. I then felt sick and the food basically slid up to my throat and I was sick. There was no excessive pain or nausea but I was scared I stretched my sleeve, I know it's probably not the case but I'm still worried. This evening, I took one tiny spoonfull of mushy meat and chewed really well and it came up again. I called the nurse and she said she was surprised I can eat a whole egg as she can't (she has had the bypass surgery.) So I worried about that, even though it was in my nutritional guidelines...

I've been feeling faint today and sick from last night. I have basically had a small, half cup of Soup, one egg and a small spoonfull of meat so it doesn't seem I have overeaten. I just feel like I could have prevented this and am a bit worried.

Have any of you had similar experiences and is this the norm? I ate fairly slowly and took little breaks and it may be the egg was too heavy but it felt like I had just that one bite too much and maybe didn't listen to my full signals enough.

I hope this is redeemable and that no damage has been done as I would be really devestated if that was the case.

When the food came up it sat in my throat and I just gentlyy pushed my throat and it popped up, as it felt dense. Sorry for the info there but that made me paranoid too, as I kept thinking, I shouldn't have pushed it, I should have tried to swallow it down and was anxious about that. I have ocd and anxiety, so a lot of my thinking can be obsessive and I am a complete perfectionist so sometimes it can be hard and I feel I fail when things seem to go wrong.

We are all a work in progress. I hear time after time here, if something doesn't agree with your tummy, then don't eat it for a few days or week, then try again. What happened didn't sound violent or anything. Just a tummy saying "no way, not now" You are just getting to know your signals, and I guess this was one of them. You will be fine.

First of all, you do not have to finish your plate. Everyone has swelling after surgery and we can all eat different amounts. Some days you will also be able to eat more than others, although who knows why!!

Also, eggs are not always easy with the sleeve especially in the first 6 months. Some people do great, but I had terrible issues with eggs especially scrambled eggs. Egg salad seems to work good too for some people which is with boiled eggs. I never thought of egg salad, but that kinda crumbles which is better than eating a pasty salad and it has a lot of Protein. When you cook the white and yellow parts as one, why is it digested differently? I don't know but it is. I digest them better if I don't scramble them before cooking.

Also, I could not eat food that was very dense after surgery, almost killed myself on hummus on day. Similar experience with dense tuna salad once - could not eat tuna for a while (some people can, I could not) Kinda same thing with Peanut Butter, yuck for me. Things that I can chew that flake apart easily or come apart or sort of dissolve before swallowing work better than things that are still so thick even after chewing because then once you swallow you may find with the swelling it doesn't travel downward real well.

Your own sleeve is unique and has its own pecurliarities so you really can't go exactly by a book. Once you find a routine and you stick with it that might work.

THe best advice I heard is if you are having a hard time at the stage you are at, back up a step so if you are on solids go back to mushies for a while. This worked for me when I was in trouble.

My sleeve was very forgiving. I made several mistakes especially choking on that hummus, for a moment I thought I might just die b/c I took a big bite and must have swallowed it all at once bc I was starvig at the time. Felt like I might not be able to breathe, extremely weird. But I lived and did not leak. Second thing I remember being real scared of was eating chinese food, chicken and veggies. I went and threw it up. I hadn't had nausea since the hospital so that scared me. I don't know how far out I was, but it must have been pretty far.

I had a very hard time giving up the foods I was used to eating. I would push it hear and there bc I would feel so desperate. liquids were fine, but starting with mushies I think I just did not know what to do or how to do that stage very well. Now I wonder why didn't I just puree the foods I was cooking for my family or something? But I remember wanting to eat mashed potatoes with meatloaf, but realizing that not mch Protein was in there. But of course I should have just used a little mashed potato and mostly meat ball and pureed it together. It was hard to figure out at the time, bc I was just in a state. We ALL have our issues with food, right?

Anyway, my sleeve was pretty forgiving, and I pray yours is also. Some people throw up for weeks and survive, so it sounds to me like you'll be fine. Just back it up to the previous stage for a few days, like 2-3 days and then proceed.

Believe it or not, you are through the hardest part already!!!

Thanks so much for those comforting words! It makes such a difference to be able to talk to those who have the same experiences. I think I have been a bit too diligent with my guidelines, as I was not eating enough the first week and was worried I would get ill. But I think I will go back a stage tomorrow and have Soups and give the mushies a break for a bit.

wow thanks for the good info I am in surgery the 1st of february and I am taking all of these things in..They say the more information you have the better your off. Thanks

pumpkin 07 was spot on with the information. I am about 5 and 1/2 months out and I still have trouble getting down 1 whole egg. Nutritionists can be extremely helpful, but they are trying to cover what works for the majority. Follow their advice, but fine tune it to fit your own personal situation. Nut says 1 egg, maybe you can do 1/2. Your body is going to be your best guide to what works, and trust me it will let you know when it's not working or has gone to far.

Good luck and relax some, you really are getting past the hardest part right now.