Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM SOME PEOPLE THAT HAVE HAD VSG SURGERY. I REALIZE THAT IT MAY BE EASY TO BE HAPPY ABOUT THE SURGERY DURING THE FIRST YERA WHEN YOU ARE LOSING A LOT OF WEIGHT AND LIFE IS ALL GOOD. BUT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU STOP LOSING WEIGHT? DO YOU REGRET HAVING THE SURGERY?

I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM SOME PEOPLE THAT HAVE HAD VSG SURGERY. I REALIZE THAT IT MAY BE EASY TO BE HAPPY ABOUT THE SURGERY DURING THE FIRST YERA WHEN YOU ARE LOSING A LOT OF WEIGHT AND LIFE IS ALL GOOD. BUT WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU STOP LOSING WEIGHT? DO YOU REGRET HAVING THE SURGERY?

I am 6 wks out from having surgery, and to be completely honest, there are days or times that I regret having it done...with that being said....those are only days or a time that I regret it...over all, would I do it again??? You bet!!!! Only sooner...because the good outweighes the bad by far.

This may be a silly comparison, but its the only one I can really think of.

Its like wanting a child.....You really want on, you try for it, then all of a sudden you are pg.....you have to deal with morning sickness, sore back, swollen feet and then there is the labor (hurt like crap) Then there is the raising of the child...all the nasty diapers, getting up at all hours, just all in all taking care of it...but...the joys you get from that child soooo outnumber all the negatives that you dont really even think about the negatives because you are soo happy you have this little baby

Thats how I feel about this surgery.....Its alot of work, but it is soooo worth it!!!!

I wasn't all happy with the surgery, actually i hated it for about 3 - 4 months! I had real buyers remorse. . .I've been out now 1 year and 1 month and have gotten so used to it. . . I'm still losing but really slowly, but just cause my weight loss has slowed down doesn't mean that my life sucks now. . .nope, I am 12 lbs from goal and look good. . . I can do so many things now that I couldn't do before when I was morbidly obese, but if you mean after you get to your maximum weight loss goal and don't need to lose more will I regret it? I don't know. . .my fear is when I'm older. .. you know how the elderly already don't eat and are frail and many suffer from malabsorption of Vitamins and minerals, what will happen to those folks who have this surgery? Including me and I already have severe malabsorption problems with Vitamin D? If the elderly don't eat much with stomaches, what are we going to endure towards the end? That is my fear, the unknown . . . but that is yet to be seen I suppose. . .

I'm a year and two days out, not quite to goal yet and have been basically at a standstill for four months (my own fault), and I have not had one single moment of regret, even at the beginning. I'd do it again every single year if I had to!

I wasn't all happy with the surgery, actually i hated it for about 3 - 4 months! I had real buyers remorse. . .I've been out now 1 year and 1 month and have gotten so used to it. . . I'm still losing but really slowly, but just cause my weight loss has slowed down doesn't mean that my life sucks now. . .nope, I am 12 lbs from goal and look good. . . I can do so many things now that I couldn't do before when I was morbidly obese, but if you mean after you get to your maximum weight loss goal and don't need to lose more will I regret it? I don't know. . .my fear is when I'm older. .. you know how the elderly already don't eat and are frail and many suffer from malabsorption of Vitamins and minerals, what will happen to those folks who have this surgery? Including me and I already have severe malabsorption problems with Vitamin D? If the elderly don't eat much with stomaches, what are we going to endure towards the end? That is my fear, the unknown . . . but that is yet to be seen I suppose. . .

Hopefully by then we will be in good company....

Everyone always says how much they love the surgery, it's good to hear that someone else suffered from buyers remorse. I'm 5 weeks out from surgery and I've been fighting depression. I know that this surgery was the best thing for me for health reasons and everyone tells me that I'll eventually love it, but right now, I wish I could turn back the clock and not go through with it. I spent over 2 years researching and talking to people about their experiences with the surgery and thought I was prepared, but I was wrong. I have the same thoughts about how the surgery will impact my health when I'm older. But, as someone in the support group that I attend pointed out...without the surgery, I probably wouldn't have gotten old enough to worry about it. Because of my weight and the related health problems, I was on my way to an early grave. I've got a great support group and they're helping me sort through my concerns, fears and regrets. I'm looking forward to the day that I can honestly say that I love my new sleeve.

The first two weeks after my surgery was awful. But even as miserable as I was, I don't remember ever thinking that I wished I hadn't done it. I was 100 lbs overweight, had high blood pressure,high cholesterol, horrible back pain and bad knees. I knew I was heading towards a really bad place. I am now 4 months out and as of this morning have lost 54 lbs and I feel like a new person. I am off ALL of my medication now with the exception of a Tylenol here and there for a small amount of back pain.

Are there times that I look at someone eating something really good and wish I could eat it? Absolutely! But that thought stays with me for literally a second or so and then i come to my senses and can't even imagine eating it or even wanting it.

I'm not sure why anyone would be worried about malabsorption when elderly because of the sleeve. Our stomachs were just made smaller - we didn't lose any of our intestines. Elderly people generally eat less but also generally eat slower so there should be time to absorb whatever you eat. I figure having a sleeve might actually be better preparing us for how we will be eating later on :-)

With regards to the malabsorption piece . . . that why I wanted a sleeve instead of a RNY. I had thyroid cancer 7 years ago and it took them 3 years to get my meds exactly right so that they were at a level to hopefully keep the cancer from coming back. I didn't want to take ANY chance that any of those meds would be malabsorped.

The first two weeks after my surgery was awful. But even as miserable as I was, I don't remember ever thinking that I wished I hadn't done it. I was 100 lbs overweight, had high blood pressure,high cholesterol, horrible back pain and bad knees. I knew I was heading towards a really bad place. I am now 4 months out and as of this morning have lost 54 lbs and I feel like a new person. I am off ALL of my medication now with the exception of a Tylenol here and there for a small amount of back pain.

Are there times that I look at someone eating something really good and wish I could eat it? Absolutely! But that thought stays with me for literally a second or so and then i come to my senses and can't even imagine eating it or even wanting it.

I'm not sure why anyone would be worried about malabsorption when elderly because of the sleeve. Our stomachs were just made smaller - we didn't lose any of our intestines. Elderly people generally eat less but also generally eat slower so there should be time to absorb whatever you eat. I figure having a sleeve might actually be better preparing us for how we will be eating later on :-)

With regards to the malabsorption piece . . . that why I wanted a sleeve instead of a RNY. I had thyroid cancer 7 years ago and it took them 3 years to get my meds exactly right so that they were at a level to hopefully keep the cancer from coming back. I didn't want to take ANY chance that any of those meds would be malabsorped.

I am 9 months out and havent lost any in 3 months but I am happy where I am, the Dr. would like me to lose 10 more so I figure I'll split the difference and lose 5 more. I don't regret it and never had buyers remorse. I know I need only ramp up the exercise and the 5lbs will come off. I have small grandkids and keep all the candy/chips and other things that are bad for sleevers, I don't want the bread or chips but a piece of chocolate is heavenly.lol I literally put the candy wayyy back in the cabinet so I'll leave it alone. I have rhuematoid and do believe this surgery has given me a happier, healthier me!!!