Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbs!

I am a no bad carb person -- that means that I stay away from rice, potatoes, bread, sugar, chips, etc. I will have high Fiber crackers (Wasa crackers) which are cardboard like but help the digestion ;)

I try to include vegetables and fruits in what I eat -- but because I'm trying to hit between 60 and 80 grams of Protein, my fruits and veggies consumption is not that high.

I really found the following YouTube video very interesting (it's in 10 parts) -- it really made me think about what we eat in our society today and why we are so consumed with eating refined sugar (it's in everything) -- I high recommend it: Science of Weight Loss and Fat Accumulation

Thanks so much for this link Julie I've watched up to number 8, it's a great explanation of why sugars make us fat,it has changed my beliefs on a lot of what i thought I knew. I'm going to do some more research on this,so interesting my only question is how ldo we stay away from all these bad carbs for the rest of our lives? Hopefully as he explains we will have less fat so we will have no need to overeat.

I am on low carsb now, so I hope it works!

" I am part Filipino and rice is SUCH a huge staple"

Most of the time that rice is White or Jasmine right? Maybe switch over to Brown Rice. Basmati Brown Rice is really good, and does not seem to taste as strong as regular brown rice. It is also a very healthy carb. It might give you the satisfaction of eating what your family is eating, and satisfying a desire for a carb at dinner without really giving you "bad carbs" or much carb at all since you would only be eating a small portion of it. Just pay attention to what your body is doing. If you slow weight loss with any carbs at all, or start craving more and more then I would stick to as little as possible. However, if your body can handle some small portions of good carbs then add them in. Just make sure you are eating the Proteins first.

" I am part Filipino and rice is SUCH a huge staple"

Most of the time that rice is White or Jasmine right? Maybe switch over to Brown Rice. Basmati Brown Rice is really good, and does not seem to taste as strong as regular brown rice. It is also a very healthy carb. It might give you the satisfaction of eating what your family is eating, and satisfying a desire for a carb at dinner without really giving you "bad carbs" or much carb at all since you would only be eating a small portion of it. Just pay attention to what your body is doing. If you slow weight loss with any carbs at all, or start craving more and more then I would stick to as little as possible. However, if your body can handle some small portions of good carbs then add them in. Just make sure you are eating the Proteins first.

Thanks!

You know what, I had sushi today, and I decided it was ok to sample a little rice...well I took a tiny bite and I realized I didnt even want it :) Wierd but totally fine with me! I think I will try the brown rice eventually, I still need to get into the groove of cooking full meals instead of just preparing bits of this and that then I will incorporate more (good) carbs into my diet along, with the Protein of course. I have been craving something saucy and cheesy, maybe I will hunt down some whole wheat pizza dough and make myself a mini pizza.< /p>

Thanks!

You know what, I had sushi today, and I decided it was ok to sample a little rice...well I took a tiny bite and I realized I didnt even want it :) Wierd but totally fine with me! I think I will try the brown rice eventually, I still need to get into the groove of cooking full meals instead of just preparing bits of this and that then I will incorporate more (good) carbs into my diet along, with the Protein of course. I have been craving something saucy and cheesy, maybe I will hunt down some whole wheat pizza dough and make myself a mini pizza.< /p>

I'm half Filipina too, and I do believe that the first real food I was ever fed was rice. That goes for everyone in my family!! It took years to get over the white rice thing. I only eat brown rice now and not even that often. I couldn't even really eat carbs for the longest because my tummy just couldn't hold it and even made my stomach feel a little funny. I can now, but still not very much.

Good luck! Just give it some time and things will slowly but surely bet back to normal.