Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbs!

So Im wondering how everyone else is doing carb-wise. I am COMPLETELY avoiding them, somewhat reluctantly but I have always been more of a Protein person so its not a huge problem. I do get carbs from the carrots etc. in my Soups as well as the occasional few oz of juice so its not like Im totally carb free. But I would love to have someting to place my tuna/chicken salad on - like a Saltine or some toasted bread -- without feeling guilty. I am part Filipino and rice is SUCH a huge staple, and I am pretty much just making the "good" dishes and eating them w/o rice. And I love love sushi, but I have avoided any and all rice, as well as bread, Pasta, etc. So is the the occasional carb ok? Also, when eating carbs and protein versus just protein, do you get fuller faster and/or stay full longer?

A lot of people don't watch carbs at all, so physically and in general, it is OK.

Not sure what answer you are looking for - if you have a specific requirement to not eat carbs or if your doctor said you shouldn't, you have to check with him. Otherwise, I - and many others - eat carbs as they please.

I don't think I have a difference in satiety /wrt mixing and matching.

I allow myself saltines on occasion. Five make a serving and then I pile on whatever it is I'm having them with, tuna or chicken salad or black bean salsa. I don't do it often, though. I've found a place where I can get a riceless sushi roll. It's wrapped in cucumber. You don't get a variety of choices of fish, usually only a California roll, but it might help with your craving. I was having half a sandwich round (toasted) with ham and cheese on it for Breakfast, but I'm burnt out on that for now. So my answer is, yes, I have some carbs, but I try to be careful about how often and what I have.

I didn't restrict carbs( did track them though and stay under 100 most of the time) But now that I've been stalled for a month I'm restricting them to see if it kick starts my weight loss again, I lost 56 lbs but have near 20 to go, so I'm gonna try keep them below 40 as I've seen people on this forum do and see what happens :)

Yes and no - there are good carbs (complex & fiber) and there a bad carbs (empty & sugar).

I eat carbs if they are good, but really only a few bites per meal. Most of the room I reserve in my tiny stomach is for Proteins and some veggies (which are considered carbs too). They make me feel good, keep me full of energy and staying well balanced just keeps me healthy over all. I do not count eat carb gram as I only have so much time in my day and I'm already logging my food. Whatever I'm doing right now is working really well for me as I've lost about 10 Lbs in the last 2 weeks. If I stray from what I know works, my weight stalls. Yes, this includes limiting my carbs to the extreme. Every BODY is different!

Study the difference, and if you need some carbs, choose the good ones. Of course you should always follow your Dr.s advice!! :) If he says no carbs, then thats what you should do, or have a talk with him and present your side. You have to come with facts though.

So Im wondering how everyone else is doing carb-wise. I am COMPLETELY avoiding them, somewhat reluctantly but I have always been more of a Protein person so its not a huge problem. I do get carbs from the carrots etc. in my Soups as well as the occasional few oz of juice so its not like Im totally carb free. But I would love to have someting to place my tuna/chicken salad on - like a Saltine or some toasted bread -- without feeling guilty. I am part Filipino and rice is SUCH a huge staple, and I am pretty much just making the "good" dishes and eating them w/o rice. And I love love sushi, but I have avoided any and all rice, as well as bread, Pasta, etc. So is the the occasional carb ok? Also, when eating carbs and protein versus just protein, do you get fuller faster and/or stay full longer?

you can put your tuna, hummus, dip-stuff on sliced cucumbers if you are looking for that crunch, you can bake salami slices till they get crispy, make parmesan crackers. If you want wraps, certain lettuce leaves work really well, and these thin spring roll wrappers that come in dry flat sheets that you soak.

I am 6 months in and I do not eat rice, grains, potatoes of every kind, bread, oatmeal, bread coating or bread crumbs. I do not eat these things because they take up too much space, both in my tummy and in my calorie/carb count.

However, when I was home on vacation I ate fresh baguette from the bakery, tiny little high tea sandwiches made with bread, sugar Cookies, and alcoholic drinks and I lost a ton of weight so, go figure!

They are my enemy. I do not have the "eat carb, crave carb" thing, but I can state without hesitation that I do gain, or can't lose when I eat carbs.

I also noticed that since eating carbs some of my belly fat has returned. My fat has redistributed, and it's all returned to my lower belly.

I really do have to watch carb intake because I gain weight. Not huge amounts, but when I hover around 129lbs instead of my normal 125lbs, I can pinpoint it down to my choices in what I put in my mouth.

I'm considering doing a carb purge, and going all Protein again just to lose a few pounds.

Yes and no - there are good carbs (complex & fiber) and there a bad carbs (empty & sugar).

I eat carbs if they are good, but really only a few bites per meal. Most of the room I reserve in my tiny stomach is for Proteins and some veggies (which are considered carbs too). They make me feel good, keep me full of energy and staying well balanced just keeps me healthy over all. I do not count eat carb gram as I only have so much time in my day and I'm already logging my food. Whatever I'm doing right now is working really well for me as I've lost about 10 Lbs in the last 2 weeks. If I stray from what I know works, my weight stalls. Yes, this includes limiting my carbs to the extreme. Every BODY is different!

Study the difference, and if you need some carbs, choose the good ones. Of course you should always follow your Dr.s advice!! :) If he says no carbs, then thats what you should do, or have a talk with him and present your side. You have to come with facts though.

I meant only good carbs, I think at this stage bad carbs (refined sugars cakes chocolate ALCOHOL) shouldn't be part of are diet. In fatsecret.com the carbs come out when you log you're food in. I do agree though you need to see what your doctor recommends. As I said earlier I wouldn't recomend the bad carbs at this stage :o

I meant only good carbs, I think at this stage bad carbs (refined sugars cakes chocolate ALCOHOL) shouldn't be part of are diet. In fatsecret.com the carbs come out when you log you're food in. I do agree though you need to see what your doctor recommends. As I said earlier I wouldn't recomend the bad carbs at this stage :o

Sorry I didn't even read your post before posting what I did. Most of the time when it comes to carbs I don't usually because what I follow and others follow are very different. My whole meaning behind what I wrote is that everyone's body responds differently to carbs and even different types of carbs. I was only answering the OP's question.

Some don't do well with it and can gain weight just by smelling it. Others can eat it all day and not gain an ounce. I'm more in between - I can tolerate some but too much (and certain types, such as corn) can have a negative effect on me. However super low carbs doesn't do me any favors either and can slow down my metabolism by a lot.

It all comes down to each one of us has to find what works well with our individual bodies and what doesn't. If it doesn't work, well... then I say don't do it. If it does work great for you, then that's what you should do (as long as it is healthy!) It goes back to that old theory: If everyone was jumping off a bridge, would you do it too? ;)

Hugs!!!

:)

I am a no bad carb person -- that means that I stay away from rice, potatoes, bread, sugar, chips, etc. I will have high Fiber crackers (Wasa crackers) which are cardboard like but help the digestion ;)

I try to include vegetables and fruits in what I eat -- but because I'm trying to hit between 60 and 80 grams of Protein, my fruits and veggies consumption is not that high.

I really found the following YouTube video very interesting (it's in 10 parts) -- it really made me think about what we eat in our society today and why we are so consumed with eating refined sugar (it's in everything) -- I high recommend it: Science of Weight Loss and Fat Accumulation

THANKS for all the helpful info!

Im finding now that I can actually eat meat instead of just mushies, its not too bad staying away from carbs. And now that I know that it is ok to eat the right ones in moderation, I dont feel like Im being deprived. :) That said, I dont know if I have room in my diet for carbs, Ive reached a kind of balance where I end up right around 60 g of Protein while keeping in the cal range I want. I think for me to give in and have a couple bites it would have to be a special occasion. (Sushi is the exception!) So Im gonna keep it mostly carb free for now. I found a recipe for a tuna melt where you just slap the tuna and some cheese on a slice of Tomato then stick it in the broiler for a bit. I had that for lunch and it was yumm! Im also gonna try the tips from Tiffykins: use cucumber slices, also salami in the oven until crispy. I also remember making stuffed peppers back in the day, that would be soo good, and I think I also might be able to use big tomatoes or even maybe a small squash and stuff it with something good and healthy and bake. I might buy some low fat whole wheat Wheat Thins in case a craving hits really hard

Oh BTW my stall is now at an end! Ive lost a pound a day for the past 3 days, I think mostly from cutting the excessive snacking AND increasing Protein and fluids. Yay!!

I do eat some carbs (around 50 grams a day). I find that if I go below 30 grams a day, I feel so tired. I stick with the good carbs though, mainly a few bites of vegetables or fruit. I log my calories daily on My Fitness Pal. I had bought some pre-made chicken salad for my lunch and I when I logged it, I realized it had 10 grams of carbs for a little can! They had added sugar to it and I guess I just didn't read the label at the store close enough. Those carbs can sneak in there if you don't track your food. I am losing steadily eating around 50 g of carbs a day. If I hit a big stall, I will cut back. I can't even imagine how many carbs I used to eat! :blink:

Sorry I didn't even read your post before posting what I did. Most of the time when it comes to carbs I don't usually because what I follow and others follow are very different. My whole meaning behind what I wrote is that everyone's body responds differently to carbs and even different types of carbs. I was only answering the OP's question.

Some don't do well with it and can gain weight just by smelling it. Others can eat it all day and not gain an ounce. I'm more in between - I can tolerate some but too much (and certain types, such as corn) can have a negative effect on me. However super low carbs doesn't do me any favors either and can slow down my metabolism by a lot.

It all comes down to each one of us has to find what works well with our individual bodies and what doesn't. If it doesn't work, well... then I say don't do it. If it does work great for you, then that's what you should do (as long as it is healthy!) It goes back to that old theory: If everyone was jumping off a bridge, would you do it too? ;)

Hugs!!!

:)

So true about our bodies being different and responding different to different things! I lost 56 lbs without restricting myy "good carbs" but now I'm trying to stay lowcarb (around 40)because of my 1 month stall, hopefully I'll start losing again!!

So true about our bodies being different and responding different to different things! I lost 56 lbs without restricting myy "good carbs" but now I'm trying to stay lowcarb (around 40)because of my 1 month stall, hopefully I'll start losing again!!

I think you're doing good, and shaking things up a bit to hopefully break a stall is the best thing (it's always worked for me). I hope it works out for you! You're very close to goal too, so I guess as they say it gets harder as you get closer. You'll get it!!! It's almost getting to be the warmer sunnier weather too, that always wakes me up from the long winters nap!!! Whoooottt!!