Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shakes Post-Op

Okay so I know this question is random but I am wondering about Protein Shakes post-op. I am pre-op but my surgery is less than a month away. Right now I can drink a Protein Shake in about 3 minutes. obviously I know post-op it's going to be MUCH harder to get it down. So my question is....when it's taking you so long to drink you Protein shake does it get really nasty from it being room temperature? Or what to do guys to? Put ice in it? lol sorry for being completely random. I guess this just crossed my mind because I rarely put ice in my drinks.< /p>

I had one that turned into this thick sludge. Ewwww. I ended up throwing out the whole container. I like the syntax because it didn't get thicker when it sat and it tasted good at room temp. I still have problems with super cold drinks at 8 weeks.

I think you will find out how it is for you when you get there. For me, all things sweet now taste horrible. Sitting in the fridge doesn't help for hurt at this time, it still tastes sickly to me. I drank one yesterday so at least I would have the one cup of Water to make it and 45 gms protean. I really don't think ungery chicken Soup will hit the spot ether... I'm thinking about bean soup today, which my doc says is ok if thin. I'm hoping I get to the point that I enjoy shakes again soon... they will be sooo helpful in getting in the Protein.

You may have a different experience than me. Its all a crap shoot! We will find our way somehow. My favorite thing to drink? Warm Chamomile tea. Goes down smooth and comfy. Really helping me to get in my water which is my first concern right now.

Yeah, I doubt you're going to want cold anything for a while post op. For me, at least, cold drinks caused esophageal spasms and discomfort for a few weeks. The only advice I can give is not to buy too much of any shake or supplement pre op. Your tastes will change. Not just immediately, but over and over again. I'm six months out and I've changed my shake three or four times now. I also developed lactose intolerance and had to get rid of two big cannisters of Protein Powder that were causing me problems. I agree - Muscle Milk shakes are pretty good room temp. Now that I like my drinks cold again, I drink a variety of Muscle Milk RTD, Isoflex powders and Oh Yeah! RTD shakes. These brands are tolerable at best but they really do help me lose weight and keep my Protein numbers high. Post op you'll probably want to try a lot of different things. It took me a while to find things that taste good (enough) to me but also fit the nutritional profile I want. ~Cheri

I make my Protein shakes in a magic bullet. The first time I forgot to put in ice and yes it got nasty really fast ... I didn't even finish half. Since then I've put ice in before I blend everything up and that definitely helps keep them cold/drinkable longer. I also notice my stomach capacity is increasing at 2 weeks post op. Ii am pretty much able to finish my Protein Shakes in under an hour with no problems. Warm beverages definitely go down faster/better. I can drink a full cup of broth in 30 minutes or less. The first week I was only doing about half the volume. So I am happy about that, as I think that means my sleeve is healing up pretty well.

Also, one tip I picked up from theworldaccordingtoeggface.com is to put in a tbsp. of sf pudding mix when making the shakes. It doesn't add much in the way of calories but helps make the shake thicker and a bit tastier.

I really don't particularly like Protein Shakes so now am sneaking teaspoonfuls of Protein Powder into Jello sf pudding. It doesn't affect the flavor that much but I know Im getting a few extra grams of Protein. Every bit of protein counts in the early days!

i also use a magic bullet , i add 4 cubes of ice to mine and blend it up , it tastes like a milkshake, in my opinion the ice is what makes it. make sure u get a sample before u buy a big container of ur Protein Powder. i bought a big one from costco for 30 bucks...vanilla ice cream flavored. it was disgusting and it stunk. i only buy bio x power whey complex now its 70 bucks but dam does it taste excellent and doesnt smell at all lol.

I drink "Pure Protein Shake" they have vanilla and Cookies and cream that are so good. They come in a can shaped like a bottle. I put it in the freezer about 20 mins before i start to drink it and its really cold and stays cold. But even at room temp they are really good. Taste like Ice Cream. 23 grams of Protein per can.

good luck

Okay so I know this question is random but I am wondering about protein shakes post-op. I am pre-op but my surgery is less than a month away. Right now I can drink a protein shake in about 3 minutes. obviously I know post-op it's going to be MUCH harder to get it down. So my question is....when it's taking you so long to drink you Protein Shake does it get really nasty from it being room temperature? Or what to do guys to? Put ice in it? lol sorry for being completely random. I guess this just crossed my mind because I rarely put ice in my drinks.