Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What the heck is a 5 day pouch test???

Would someone please explain what in the world a 5 day pouch test is???? I've seen this mentioned several times.

What's the point of this test? Will it help me break a stall? Lose weight? See if I'm eating too much?

Gracias!

Essentially, it was designed for RNY patients.

It takes you back to basics. It's not going to test your sleeve capacity, but it's like going back to the post-op diet for a short time frame. It'll help rid the "carb monster", you might lose weight, you might a break a stall, you might turn into a raging lunatic being back on a liquid diet for the first 2-3 days.

I never do it fully. I simply eliminate all white carbs for a week if I feel the need to purge all the bad, and I can lose anywhere between 3-7lbs in a week by doing this depending on which week I attempt it. If it's my ovulation week, I'm the raging lunatic wanting carbs, and if it's my period week, KATY BAR THE DOOR because I'm going to slice someone's throat ha ha ha. So, pretty much there is only 2 weeks out of the month, I can eliminate white carbs. Least to say, I've only done it a couple of times ha ha ha.

So, you go back on shakes for 5 days? I could do that, though I'd end up chewing a LOT of gum! =P

Not really. Here's the plan: From this link; http://www.5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html

Below you will find a brief list of the menu for each day. Please click the "Read more" links for further detail and hints and tips that will enable your success with the 5 Day Pouch Test.

Days One & Two: liquid Protein

low-carb Protein Shakes, broth, clear or cream Soups, sugar-free Gelatin and pudding. Read more.

Day 3: Soft Protein

canned fish (tuna or salmon) eggs, fresh soft fish (tilapia, sole, orange roughy. Read more.

Day 4: Firm Protein

ground meat (turkey, beef, chicken, lamb), shellfish, scallops, lobster, fresh salmon or halibut. Read more.

Day 5: Solid Protein

white meat poultry, beef steak, pork, lamb, wild game

Read more.

From what I understand it is basically what Tiff said...designed for RNY patients, but I still wonder if it really can "test" the size of the pouch (I'm unclear on the testing part and how that really all works.)

I've always viewed it as a "back to basics" sort of plan, to get you refocused. I think it is a valid plan for sleeve patients who need to break some bad habits or just need to shuffle the deck so to speak in regards to shaking up their routine. Everyone remembers how careful they were (or were supposed to be) right after surgery, so it just kind of takes you back to that place.

I do think it is generally viewed as a weight loss strategy for most people trying it.

THANKS Tiff on what to do. I too have wondered and wanted to know. I've saved this now on my computer for the future!

Not really. Here's the plan: From this link; http://www.5daypouch...an/theplan.html

Below you will find a brief list of the menu for each day. Please click the "Read more" links for further detail and hints and tips that will enable your success with the 5 Day Pouch Test.

Days One & Two: liquid Protein

low-carb Protein shakes, broth, clear or cream Soups, sugar-free Gelatin and pudding. Read more.

Day 3: Soft Protein

canned fish (tuna or salmon) eggs, fresh soft fish (tilapia, sole, orange roughy. Read more.

Day 4: Firm Protein

ground meat (turkey, beef, chicken, lamb), shellfish, scallops, lobster, fresh salmon or halibut. Read more.

Day 5: Solid Protein

white meat poultry, beef steak, pork, lamb, wild game

Read more.

Thanks Tiff! You are a HUGE BLESSING TO ALL OF US :)...LUV U :)

Like Chilo, I did the 5 day pouch test... followed it specifically for the whole 5 days, only lost a pound... BUT... when I went back to my 'normal' eating, I felt different... like I had rediscovered the restriction I had. I would do it again to refocus myself!

http://www.bsciresou...ail.php?prod=A4

The cottage cheese test was established to test pouch size. I've done this with greek yogurt. Max capacity was around 4.75oz ounces of greek yogurt in 5-6 minutes.

Thanks Tiff! That sort of clears up how it can "test" a pouch.

Thanks I will try this starting tomorrow and at least once a month.