Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Night snacking - agggggg!

Hello all

Well I am a little over 3 weeks out and I have lost about 25 lbs post op :) BUT I am starting to get back into my habit of snacking at night -to the point of fullness several times. I dont necessarily go over my calories; I usually eat about 700-800 a day total, its just that most of what I eat is at night.

Today I had

8am - 1 hard boiled egg (75 cal)

12 pm - 3-4 oz hummus with tofu blended in (guessing 200 cal)

12:30 1 laughing cow light (35 cals)

1 pm - 2-3 oz beef and barley Soup (w/o the beef, 70ish cals)

3:30 pm - 1 string cheese (70 cals)

4 pm - 4 oz low fat cream of mushroom made w Water (guessing 50 cals)

5 pm - 3 oz beef broth w a piece of carrot - (guessing 50 cals)

8 pm - 1 laughing cow light (35 cals)

9 pm - 1 carbmaster yogurt (80 cals)

10 pm - SF Jello - 4-5 oz guessing (10 cals)

10:30 - SF pudding w NF milk- 2 oz (guessing 20 cals)

11 pm - 1 tbsp of mashed potatoes (guessing 50 cals)

11 pm - 3 oz imitation crab w light mayo, (guessing 80 cals)

825 cals total, which isnt too bad (I think) but how does this compare to what other people are eating at this stage? Should I be eating less foods but with a higher Protein content??

I know that technically Im still within my calorie range but is it a bad habit to eat the majority of food at night? Will this become a problem later when I have more leeway with foods? Most important, will this hurt my sleeve?? Is there anyone who is going through this or has gone through it who can help me clear my head, I have that food-denial confusion going on and Im really trying to fight my bad habits. This is the 4th or 5th night in a row that this has happened. Another thing is that Im not getting in all 60 g of protein. Could that be a reason why I always want to snack? Lastly, I have been at a little standstill with the weightloss, Im gathering from other posts that its kind of common around the 3 week mark, but could my nighttime habits have to do with it? And SORRY for all the questions! I dont really have guidance from my surgeon and my PCP relly isnt much help either.

Just any words of wisdom, any little tricks or certain foods that are better to eat at night would help :)

THANKS!

First, I really don't believe that this eating will "hurt" your sleeve.

It is a bad habit.

I too find that my sleeve is tighter in the morning and looser in the evening, and I tend to eat more at night. That being said. I limit myself to 5 "meals" a day. If I also keep a drink to sip to prevent snacking between meals. I find that in the evening, I can really get my missed fluids in since my stomach is looser.

It also looks like you are grazing. There is a difference between being hungry and feeling the pressure ease allowing a little space to eat more. I find that if I am not careful, it is easy for me to fall into this habit. That's another reason I have started limiting myself to 5 meals a day.

Just went to support group tonight where my doctor reiterated his food plan: 3 meals a day. No snacking of any kind. Not healthy Snacks. Not Protein Drinks. No snacking of any kind. His rationale is that research shows people who snack are less successful at weight loss and are more likely to gain weight back than nomsnackers. I think he is one of the stricter surgeons re snacks.

I stick to the main meal times.

8-8:30 1 egg poched with a slice of deli turkey

10 I usually enjoy a nice cheese square

12-1 Another slice of Turkey or chicken Cubes I found at our local grocery store

2-3 Either an Atkins shake 15g of Protein or a kellogs Protein Shake 10g of Protein

5-7 dinner usually consists of 1/4 chicken breast "grilled" or 1/4 pork chop "grilled"

If I feel like I need to eat something after my last meal I enjoy another slice of turkey or a square of colby cheese..

These meals with the amount of liquid I am drinking a day I never have problems with feeling like I could eat something.. I am 4 weeks out "1 month tomorrow" and I finally get to introduce salads back to my menu YaY!! Take it easy on the amount of food/calories you are consuming.. Eating that close together isn't giving you much time to take in liquids "Water, krystal light, etc." Your body does need protein "60g atleast in a day" Pay attentiong because most Soups don't have much in there.

I stick to the main meal times.

8-8:30 1 egg poched with a slice of deli turkey

10 I usually enjoy a nice cheese square

12-1 Another slice of Turkey or chicken Cubes I found at our local grocery store

2-3 Either an Atkins shake 15g of Protein or a kellogs Protein Shake 10g of Protein

5-7 dinner usually consists of 1/4 chicken breast "grilled" or 1/4 pork chop "grilled"

If I feel like I need to eat something after my last meal I enjoy another slice of turkey or a square of colby cheese..

These meals with the amount of liquid I am drinking a day I never have problems with feeling like I could eat something.. I am 4 weeks out "1 month tomorrow" and I finally get to introduce salads back to my menu YaY!! Take it easy on the amount of food/calories you are consuming.. Eating that close together isn't giving you much time to take in liquids "Water, krystal light, etc." Your body does need protein "60g atleast in a day" Pay attentiong because most Soups don't have much in there.

THANK YOU for the advice :)

I was sleeved at about the same time as you, but Im not able to eat chicken/meat until Monday. My surgeon literally did not give me any instruction about how to model my meals after the clear liquid stage, only said to get my protein and liquids in. Im going to start myself on a meal plan similar to yours. A couple questions: how long does it take you to eat each meal? Also, do you literally eat only 1/4 chicken breast - what I would assume to be around 2 oz - for dinner and thats it, no cheese, veggie, etc? How do you feel about snacking on things that are very low cal ie SF Jello or SF pudding? Also, how many calories are you allowed a day?

I do think that focusing more on getting my liquids in will definitely help me with the snacking.

Once again, thanks for the advice:)

Just went to support group tonight where my doctor reiterated his food plan: 3 meals a day. No snacking of any kind. Not healthy Snacks. Not Protein drinks. No snacking of any kind. His rationale is that research shows people who snack are less successful at weight loss and are more likely to gain weight back than nomsnackers. I think he is one of the stricter surgeons re Snacks.< /p>

He does seem a little strict lol

I know that at this point I would not be able to get in enough food to sustain me throughout the day without snacking, but I think when I am able to eat poultry/meat and can fit a bit more in my tummy at one time I might try to go on just 3 meals a day. Is that the food plan that you are following?

Thanks for the advice!!!

First, I really don't believe that this eating will "hurt" your sleeve.

It is a bad habit.

I too find that my sleeve is tighter in the morning and looser in the evening, and I tend to eat more at night. That being said. I limit myself to 5 "meals" a day. If I also keep a drink to sip to prevent snacking between meals. I find that in the evening, I can really get my missed fluids in since my stomach is looser.

It also looks like you are grazing. There is a difference between being hungry and feeling the pressure ease allowing a little space to eat more. I find that if I am not careful, it is easy for me to fall into this habit. That's another reason I have started limiting myself to 5 meals a day.

I think I am grazing a bit, and I think the reason is that I prefer to eat then drink, so I end up not getting all of my fluids in either. Also, I really need to kick my Protein intake up a bit, with shakes, etc. I am staying at my calories even with the grazing, but its just a bad habit in general.

Thanks!!! :D

To answer your questions. Yes I do only eat about a 1/4 of my meat and I am done. If I feel like I could eat more I do indulge in a few veggies "green Beans have become a favorite" And I do snack on other stuff if I feel like I can handle it without getting sick to my stomach. Baked Lays are a favorite as well. Usually 3-4 of them and I am satisfied and it doesn't undo all that I have done for the day. My calorie intake is between 500-600 a day depending on which meal/snack I had that day.. It does get easier I promise, and once you start on more solid foods don't be surprised if you feel full faster..

Guys I am so not understanding how we are supposed to pack 800 cals in 3 meals? Seriously it is almost impossible unless we are drinking at least one coke with each meal. I sip crystal light all day long but the Snacks is where I get my Protein added because my regular meal just isn't enough to meet the 60-64 gr mark. I don't know...I need to think about this one.dry.gif

Guys I am so not understanding how we are supposed to pack 800 cals in 3 meals? Seriously it is almost impossible unless we are drinking at least one coke with each meal. I sip crystal light all day long but the Snacks is where I get my Protein added because my regular meal just isn't enough to meet the 60-64 gr mark. I don't know...I need to think about this one.dry.gif

I agree. I would have to add in a couple of shakes to get enough Protein with 3 meals. I just can't eat that much in one sitting. I also feel better at 800 calories than I do at 500 calories. That being said some days I am just not hungry and have to do a shake for a meal.

I found that for awhile I was grazing too. I started keeping a journal and that really helped to keep me in check. The last thing I wanted to do was write down I was eating every 30-60 minutes, even if it would be considered a better choice (not chips, soda, candy - etc., even too much good stuff is not good for you). I don't know if you're keeping a food journal or not - I just found that this reeled me back in to keeping my food under control.

Good luck!

I found that for awhile I was grazing too. I started keeping a journal and that really helped to keep me in check. The last thing I wanted to do was write down I was eating every 30-60 minutes, even if it would be considered a better choice (not chips, soda, candy - etc., even too much good stuff is not good for you). I don't know if you're keeping a food journal or not - I just found that this reeled me back in to keeping my food under control.

Good luck!

i have started to get a little lax on the food journaling. I am sitting at the table right now, having finished about 2/3 of my Breakfast - an egg w a piece of deli ham and a tsp of low fat cheese spread- and I have a pad of paper and pen sitting right next to my plate. AND I have a plan for today. :) So 3 meals, 2 small Snacks (one as a Protein shake) and maybe a small night snack if Im good with my cals. AND 16 oz of Fluid x 4 stuck in there. Im gonna see how this works for, but it looks so simple. I think my problem is that I dont take the time to just PLAN.

:)

i have started to get a little lax on the food journaling. I am sitting at the table right now, having finished about 2/3 of my Breakfast - an egg w a piece of deli ham and a tsp of low fat cheese spread- and I have a pad of paper and pen sitting right next to my plate. AND I have a plan for today. :) So 3 meals, 2 small Snacks (one as a Protein shake) and maybe a small night snack if Im good with my cals. AND 16 oz of Fluid x 4 stuck in there. Im gonna see how this works for, but it looks so simple. I think my problem is that I dont take the time to just PLAN.

:)

Let us know how it goes in a couple of days!

Just went to support group tonight where my doctor reiterated his food plan: 3 meals a day. No snacking of any kind. Not healthy Snacks. Not Protein drinks. No snacking of any kind. His rationale is that research shows people who snack are less successful at weight loss and are more likely to gain weight back than nomsnackers. I think he is one of the stricter surgeons re Snacks.< /p>

It is very amazing to me that there are so many plans and guidelines out there. My surgeon was 3 meals & 2 Protein snacks. My friends thta had VSG were told to eat 6 meals a day or eat every 3 hours.

What I think works is what works for you ... These are guidelines and we need to find what works for us. Definitely try the plan, but modify if you need to. That DOES NOT mean we are off the hook for mindful and planned eating. YOU MUST HAVE A PLAN to be successful at this. From about month 2, I've eatten between 5 and 6 mini-meals a day. It seems to have worked for me.

It is very amazing to me that there are so many plans and guidelines out there. My surgeon was 3 meals & 2 Protein Snacks. My friends thta had VSG were told to eat 6 meals a day or eat every 3 hours.

What I think works is what works for you ... These are guidelines and we need to find what works for us. Definitely try the plan, but modify if you need to. That DOES NOT mean we are off the hook for mindful and planned eating. YOU MUST HAVE A PLAN to be successful at this. From about month 2, I've eatten between 5 and 6 mini-meals a day. It seems to have worked for me.

I agree that there are many different plans out there. Personally, I am a snacker BUT I am seeing that I do need to keep myself in like or I will just snack - and snack and snack lol. But knowing that I have a schedule and that in an hour or two I will be able to have some cheese or something is ok. And what also helps is that I can snack on Jell and know that its going to my liquids :) I also think that when I am able to eat things with some texture that will help satisfy me too.