Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I have a choice to not have a catheter? I really don't want a uti and I hear vsg surgery only lasts around an hour and thought only for longer surgeries those were given... please that is a concern of mine so whether u had one or not I would like to hear about it..

Yes, I had one. I don't think any doctor will give you a choice. You most likely won't get a UTI (chances are pretty low) but it can happen. It's not very likely since you will have it in a short period of time, and it will be inserted in a VERY sterile environment (in the operating room). While surgery might only be an hour (or longer) recovery adds another hour or 2. Also, anesthesia slows everything down, so its harder for your body to function properly, so it stays in the day of surgery (most of the time). I got mine out early the next morning. Also, if the bladder were full, it can increase heart rate and blood pressure, which you don't want happening during surgery. They can also monitor your output of urine a lot easier this way during and after surgery. They won't put the foley catheter in until you are under sedation, so that part it easy!!! LOL. You might feel it when you wake up and you might feel an urge to urinate. I did not feel mine or have any urge to urinate. I would only feel it if I moved around, but it was just more annoying, not painful or anything. It was the first time I ever had one, and I was so freaked out about it! I am a newly graduated RN, so I have put some in, but I NEVER had one myself and didn't even want to think about it! It was probably the biggest thing I was worried about with this surgery. Silly me, LOL. I was freaking out about the drain too, but luckily I didn't get one!! The catheter wasn't a big deal at all. It just burnt a little when they took it out, but only lasted a few seconds. Sometimes, once it is removed, the first time you urinate, it may burn. Sorry for the rambling, but I hope this helps!!! Good luck!!!

When you are under anesthesia, everything relaxes, including your urinary sphincter. The doctor does not want you leaking urine on the table--NOT sterile once it hits the air. That's why a catheter is put in with almost any general anesthesia. If you are really, really concerned about a UTI, ask your doctor to give you a shot of antibiotic. I've had several surgeries, and had a catheter for several days with my hysterectomy (they did a bladder suspension at the same time) and it really isn't that big a deal. A little uncomfortable when you move around, yes.

Thanks for the replies.. I am too a little scared about it since I have had one before but I guess it shouldn't be that bad since it is put in when ur under and I will be on pain meds once they take it so hopefully its not that bad.. Thanku both for the replies

Let me say that the single biggest fear I had was the catheter. In fact, I put off even considering WLS for years because of the catheter issue. I finally decided to have an open mind about the catheter and proceed with the surgery. I am so glad I finally let it go and have the surgery, catheter and all. It was no problem at all. I was out cold when they put it in and I didn't feel it after I woke up. It was only a liitle uncomfortable when I had to walk, (just some pulling).

Had I known years ago that the catheter was a non-issue, I would have had surgery long before.

So, bottom line: take it from this big scardy-cat-- the catheter is a piece of cake!

I didn't have a catheter. They asked me to pee right before going into the OR. I was really surprised at no catheter bc everyone else I know who has had the surgery has had one but as you can imagine I was thrilled to not. I think it is just a surgeon by surgeon thing, but you might want to ask. Apparently it is not necessary!

I'm totally not a prude..but I'm really uncomfortable with anyone in that 'area' that I have not...well...invited. :) That is the part I just doooon't want. I feel violated already. How do i get over that?? My surgery is Jan 17th and that's really the only thing I am nervous about.