Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 month "stall" & disgusted with myself

Hello everyone! If this thread needs to be moved, I understand, but I'm struggling here and I know it's all my fault. I was sleeved in the summer of 2009 and lost 100 pounds effortlessly in the first 8 months. I did not follow my surgeon's post-op diet (which was full of contradictions and very confusing...it was basically geared for band patients), and I lost weight no matter what I ate. Now, I can eat up to a cup and a half of food and feel really full, so I'm concerned I've stretched my sleeve.

I have been eating crap, have not changed my habits, and don't really know where to start as far as following a post-op diet that will help me get the rest of this weight off. I need to lose about 60 more pounds. Can anyone give me their post-op diets that have worked for them? I really need something comprehensive that I can follow. My husband is losing on Atkins, but I'm having a hard time cutting out the carbs like he has. I'm so mad at myself, and I don't know what to do. I really want to finish losing weight, and while I'm totally grateful for the sleeve and the 100 pounds I've lost, my bmi is still in the obese range and I want to get out of it.

Please, I'm not asking for anyone to trash talk me here...I know I've messed up and I'm disgusted with myself. I'm just asking for some advice on a post-op diet that works.

I was told I need 80 grams of Protein a day. So, if I get those 80, can i still have carbs...like fruit mixed in my Protein Drink?

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

Lane

I don't think you need 80 gr Protein, maybe 60 or 70 this far out. I've been told that I should do a balanced diet, lean Proteins, slow releasing carbs, fruit veg, milk. I wouldn't do Protein Drinks this far out either, especially since you can eat a fair amount. Just go back to basics, trcxk your food, try to do around 1000-1200 cal a day. How much do you weigh and how tall ere you if you don't mind me asking? I can eat quite a bit and I'm only 5 1/2 months out so I'm starting again, after not been very good over christmas, to track my food and make the right choices. I don't think your sleeve has stretched, you just got a bit out of control.Hope this helps

Hey Lane -- no need to beat yourself up over the past -- what's in the past is in the past, now you just gotta look forward! :)

I am 4 1/2 months out -- I eat basically an Atkins diet. Low carbs (30 grams or less) and at least 60 grams of Protein, and 64 ounces of Water. One rule I follow religiously is eating Protein first. You'd be surprised if you ate protein first how much you DON'T want to eat the other stuff.

I am starting to try to get a lot more fruits and veggies in (to help with the digestion - ahem) -- but otherwise, that's about it. I journal my food to help me figure out if I've gotten enough protein in. Sometimes I do go over my carbs, which is not a big deal to me as long as the carbs are processed, not sugar, etc. Essentially the carbs have to come out of the ground or off of a tree.

I've also stopped obsessing about fat and calories because I exercise a lot. I've found that if I eat until I'm satisfied, then my calories are right where they should be . . go figure.

I hope that helps -- I'm sure others can chime in with good info too :)

Hi DivaCakes,

No worries, I seriously doubt anyone here will be mean to you. I just haven't seen that kind of thing go on here, and that is a good thing.

I think you just need a fresh start. Set yourself small goals for now and build from it. Sometimes when we look to far ahead we don't see the forest for the trees. I know this is true because I'm guilty of this and I'm constantly having to remind myself of all the good things.

Look back - how did you feel when you were losing your weight easily? Don't you want to feel that again? What do you have to do to get there? That's the first step my friend!!!

We have a weight loss challenge here and I plan to keep it moving along every 6 weeks or so. It's important to have something to work toward - so what is your goal? What do you want to weight on Valentine's Day? Ready, set... goal!!!!

Start logging your intake too. That's really important. You may not even be eating all that bad, and maybe your lacking something. That is something I learned today. I'm already feeling better and I'm making sure I'm staying well balanced. Yes - it's true we should eat Protein first, then veggies and some complex carbs. That's what I do, but I think I was completely locking out my healthy carbs at all - and that's not good either. I workout a LOT so I really can't do that. Too much and not enough of anything is not good for us.

Good luck!! You CAN DO THIS!!!!

Oh! I forgot to say -- over the holidays I did allow myself to enjoy a two small bites of pie -- and some stuffing -- all those things are carbs. The following week was hell -- my head so wanted the sugar and the bread. But, from what I've researched, if you can "detox" yourself of the carbs for a week or so, you won't crave it as much. Hope that helps!

True what Julie said about the carbs, I did the 5 day pouch test,and even though I didn't lose any weight I don't crave any "bad" carbs whatsoever!

Hello everyone! If this thread needs to be moved, I understand, but I'm struggling here and I know it's all my fault. I was sleeved in the summer of 2009 and lost 100 pounds effortlessly in the first 8 months. I did not follow my surgeon's post-op diet (which was full of contradictions and very confusing...it was basically geared for band patients), and I lost weight no matter what I ate. Now, I can eat up to a cup and a half of food and feel really full, so I'm concerned I've stretched my sleeve.

I have been eating crap, have not changed my habits, and don't really know where to start as far as following a post-op diet that will help me get the rest of this weight off. I need to lose about 60 more pounds. Can anyone give me their post-op diets that have worked for them? I really need something comprehensive that I can follow. My husband is losing on Atkins, but I'm having a hard time cutting out the carbs like he has. I'm so mad at myself, and I don't know what to do. I really want to finish losing weight, and while I'm totally grateful for the sleeve and the 100 pounds I've lost, my bmi is still in the obese range and I want to get out of it.

Please, I'm not asking for anyone to trash talk me here...I know I've messed up and I'm disgusted with myself. I'm just asking for some advice on a post-op diet that works.

I was told I need 80 grams of Protein a day. So, if I get those 80, can i still have carbs...like fruit mixed in my Protein Drink?

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

Lane

Hi Lane, I don't think anyone would trash talk you. . that would not be very nice. . however, try the 5 day pouch test. . . you can google it and it will give it to you. . .it's a bit tough, but will help you get over the carb monster thing, will help you "tighten" you tummy a bit and the best part, you'll lose a few pounds too. . .then after the 5 day pouch test you can google the web for bariatric surgery post op diet and they help there too. . . hopefully this will help you. . . you've done well considering! 100 lbs is not an easy task no matter what! You'll get back on track and do well. . . you can do it! It's only 60 more lbs! You can do it!!!!:)

Hey Divacakes,

100lb is brilliant... good for you!!!

I did the 5 day pouch test with Chilo, and I agree with her... It has helped me refocus on what I should eat... the Protein first rule works for fillling you up and then get the veggies in after...

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress... we are all here for each other! =]

Hey Miss Diva-

Listen I think no matter what we all say we may not have stalled but definitely "cheated". And u havent gained which says ALOT! I skipped the pureed phase pretty much all together. So please be kind to yourself.

I have a post-op diet but what my dr. and nutitionist suggested was an 800 cal diet during losing phase then bump it up to1000-1200 when ready to maintain. So maybe you should refocus and aim for 800 cal to get you back in losing phase.

Healthy choice came out with a bunch of new steamer options not the baskets that most are around 200-250 cal. I am a person that needs to eat several times through the day so i eat those alot because it is good has alot of Protein...I aim for 60g...and it allows me to have four to six meals a day. I also eat egg beater omelette with 2 turkey sausage links for bfast...which is 150 cal and keeps me pretty full. I dont really watch carbs except that i always eat whatever Protein first...then eat veggies...then carbs and I find that 2-3 bites into the carbs Im done and satisfied. I already am afraid I eat too much but maybe you can try a few of my suggestions and please let me know if it helps at all.

DivaCakes,

Since about 7 months out, I have followed a diet of 1200 calories, 60+ grams of Protein, up to 75 g carbs, and got in all my liquids. Some people aren't able to take in that many carbs and be successful, but it sounds like you were up to a point. (And, I'm human too - I followed this 90% of the time, but 10% I allow myself to splurge a bit - usually on a weekend night.)

Are you following the basics?

• Protein first
  • Some veggies
  • Some carbs
  • 64+ ounces of liquid

One thing that caught my attention was "Now, I can eat up to a cup and a half of food and feel really full, so I'm concerned I've stretched my sleeve." How quickly do you eat? Could measuring your Protein (say no more than 3 oz of dense) and small scoop of veggie (and maybe carb) satisfy you without making you full? Try it and take at least 20+ minutes to finish your meal. If you find that you are still hungry after a 10 minute break, have some more. You might be surprised to find that you really don't need anymore - you are just visably used to eating more & you are finding yourself full instead of satisfied.

Please come back and report how you are doing. I'm sure we can help you get back on track. This group is great for that!

Wow, thank you all so much for your replies!!! I am so thankful to have found this site.

Let me give a few more details...

I have actually fluctuated 10 pounds or so in the past 8 months. So, I took 8 months to lose 110-115 pounds, and I have lost and gained the same 5-10 pounds in the 8 months following that.. I'm 6 feet tall and weighed 351 two weeks before surgery. This morning I weighed 247, and my lowest was 236 or so. I really need to get down to about 175, but I'd be happy to get in the 190s. I don't even remember weighing less than 230 pounds in high school.

I'm 30, and my husband and I have had yet another argument tonight about how I haven't lost any weight in 8 months. We are waiting to have children until I lose some more weight, and we are both ready, but don't want to try until I have some more weight off. My doctor is on board with this too. We've been married 2 1/2 years and he thinks I'm not losing weight on purpose because I don't want kids. This is not the case. I DO want kids, but what if I got pregnant now, gained 50 pounds and then I'm 300 pounds again!?

I admit I have NOT been following the basics or getting in Protein first, and just today I caved and ate a slice of pizza at lunch (was on a field trip with 4 year olds) and some chocolate covered peanuts. I'm HORRIBLE, and it makes me so angry that I give in like that.

Thank you so much for all your suggestions.

What do y'all typically eat for Breakfast? This is an issue for me because I don't like eggs or yogurt.

One of my quick and easy breakfasts is Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage (just heat in the microwave) and some string cheese. No eggs and no yogurt! Almost all Protein and very little carbs.

A slice of pizza every now and then is NOT the end of the world. I hate a slice every Sunday night - it's a family tradition in my clan & wasn't something I'm willing to give up. It's usually thin crust and loaded with Protein.< /p>

Hey there, Diva Cakes,

just offering one more voice of support. It's hard to change your eating habits once you get into a bit of a rut (I think we *all* know that one!). Maybe doing the 5 day pouch test will help you break the carb addiction. I am shocked that I don't crave carbs (I keep mine under 40 g. a day) if I keep them out of my system for about 5 days (and I LOOOVE cake, Cookies, pizza, bread, anything carby :-)).

Give it a shot!

First off, you aren't horrible. You are a person, and you feed your body; whether you do it well or poorly, that doesn't make you better or worse, kinder or less kind, smarter or less smart, any more or less horrible. Don't forget that.

Second, can I suggest that if you have the means, you have a couple of sessions with a therapist who is fluent in weight and food issues? Both the equating your eating with your worth, and your fears about getting pregnant and gaining it all back say to me that perhaps the largest part of your struggle is with your mindset; when you are more comfortable with the weight-loss mentally, actually losing the weight will be much easier.

As a side note, I actually went back down to my pre-pregnancy weight pretty easily, specifically because of the mind component. At least for me, when I was pregnant, food wasn't about stress or reward or being horrible - it's about eating things that will be good for the baby; I allowed myself to eat without feeling guilty, because the baby needs it; and, was so much less tempted to eat poorly, because I had a baby to think about; it's amazing what we can do for our kids that we can't do for ourselves.