Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brownbear Post Op Update

Hello everyone in internet land. First I'd like to thank you guys for being super supportive and patient with my whiny butt. I had my surgery on monday... so I guess I am four days post op... and those have been quite a roller coaster. From my earlier posts I mentioned that I was having some post op complications... but they are taking a positive turn :-). I guess I should've realized that I'm a "complicated man" and expected some of these bad boys. I had what is known as sleepy bowel or illeus. Basically they couldn't wake my bowels up after the anasthesia party... things are doing great on that front. I farted yesterday... and oh what a sweet sound it was, despite the not so sweet smell. I also had a bowel movement today... basically a twoosie.... and man was I psyched. I hobbled around telling everyone and their mother... oh the things we are excited about post surgery.

Other than the bowel life is good. Im rocking the liquid diet and enjoying a little R&R. Other than that, did anyone get a pain ball after surgery? THey put one on a cather stuck in a wound site after mine...so annoying. Of course the best part is the meds weren't coming out.... so I just yanked it out... and watched all that pain medication drain into my garbage bag.... did anyone have a similar situation ??

Allrighty, I'm of to bed.

Best new years wishes to everyone... here's hoping by next year i'll be right where i wanna be... (maybe onderland ?)

Hey Brownbear...

glad you are feeling better... I had to giggle at the farting part... what sweeeeet relief that was!!

Onwards and upwards for 2011!!

SFO....it took me a week to go poo....6 days to be exact and then I became pretty regular.

Brownbear....I did have a pain ball of meds. I went home with it and they said it would last about a day. Once it was empty, I was suppose to remove it myself and throw it away. I guess mine worked because it was deflated the next day when I awoke in the morning. And, I also notice more pain when it was gone, but that could have been psychological...who knows. But yes, I did have one. I just wish it would have lasted longer.

Glad you are feeling better and things aren't so 'sleepy' anymore.

Hey,

I was expected to 'poop' before I left the hospital! Needless to say that didn't happen... I think it was around a week or so before any movement in that area... I still get constipated now, so I use linseed to help; 1 tablespoon and a large glass of Water and bingo!! Happy Days! =]

Love your post! Glad that your illeus got resolved quickly! I had a friend who was in the hospital for 3 weeks with paralytic illeus. . .it was bad. You are going to love, love, love your sleeve!

Happy New Year and welcome again!

Glad you are doing better! What is a pain ball??? Happy New YEAR to a NEW MAN!

Glad you are doing better! What is a pain ball??? Happy New YEAR to a NEW MAN!

It's this ball of medicine that is attached to a tiny tube and the tube goes under your skin and down to the staple line. It releases pain medicine to help with the internal pain of your sleeve. That's how it was explain to me. The tube is much smaller that the drain tube. It's a little bit of hassle because you have to carry it around with you everywhere and make sure the you don't catch it on anything. Some people go home with a drain which I didn't have to do. The pain ball tube didn't hurt to remove, but I thought the drain removal was pretty painful. Anyway, it's a ball of pain medicine for your insides..

Too funny brownbear! Happy new year to you. I was sleeved on the 16 th and yesterday was my glory day of no pain with mushies going down. Just some FYI. I do not envy you on the liquids......holy moly that was the worst for my puggy butt. Mama likey food. Anyhow, good luck to you my friend sounds like you have a great personality like everyone on here and you Will soar through this with no problem.

Congrats on your sleeve. Minor complications - but so ever worth it. I did not have a BM for over a week and then so on and so on. I get excited with two BM a week now. Feeling like a potty trained child where everyone needs to clap for me when I am a big girl. HA HA. Lovely table talk for dinner. "So mom, was today important?" No, but I am hoping something special happends tomorrow. How was school love? and so on.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and no more complications Brownbear!

Question on the bowels... how soon are we expected to poop?

From my own experience I didn't go for the first 4-5 days. Which I am guessing is normal. All was normal when I did go. However at the 1 week mark I had a bit of Diarhea "also normal" I took some imodium and was back to normal in no time..

Glad to hear all is going great for you Brownbear!! It's rough in the start, but it gets better as the days go by. I will be 2 weeks Tuesday and can't believe how fast it has gone. In the past 2 weeks I have dropped 25lbs!!! Wow oh Wow!!

Haha, your post cracked me up! Glad you got a "twousie".... It gets easier every day, that's for sure. Sounds like things are going great. Regarding the pain ball, I didn't have one, but I was pretty lucky on the pain front. I was mostly a gassy lassy, so my pain was less about the staples. Anyhow, glad things are going well. Keep up posted :D

Hello everyone in internet land. First I'd like to thank you guys for being super supportive and patient with my whiny butt. I had my surgery on monday... so I guess I am four days post op... and those have been quite a roller coaster. From my earlier posts I mentioned that I was having some post op complications... but they are taking a positive turn :-). I guess I should've realized that I'm a "complicated man" and expected some of these bad boys. I had what is known as sleepy bowel or illeus. Basically they couldn't wake my bowels up after the anasthesia party... things are doing great on that front. I farted yesterday... and oh what a sweet sound it was, despite the not so sweet smell. I also had a bowel movement today... basically a twoosie.... and man was I psyched. I hobbled around telling everyone and their mother... oh the things we are excited about post surgery.

Other than the bowel life is good. Im rocking the liquid diet and enjoying a little R&R. Other than that, did anyone get a pain ball after surgery? THey put one on a cather stuck in a wound site after mine...so annoying. Of course the best part is the meds weren't coming out.... so I just yanked it out... and watched all that pain medication drain into my garbage bag.... did anyone have a similar situation ??

Allrighty, I'm of to bed.

Best new years wishes to everyone... here's hoping by next year i'll be right where i wanna be... (maybe onderland ?)

I had a pain ball too along with the other meds offered and didnt hurt all all.lol I just put the ball in my pocket and it wasnt a prob. Good Luck, glad you are doing better.