Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

64 oz water, really?

I have never even come close. I've never been a big Water drinker and since surgery I am probably getting about 24oz a day. Which is more than I got before.

I still maintain that getting 64 oz of fluids (not necessarily water) is a good goal. There are many people that become dehydrated right after surgery because they don't drink enough especially if they are nauseous. I also have found that it makes a big difference in my bm's. Interesting article though.

I have always been a Water drinker, I like it, like the taste and had no problems giving up my diet soda. I drink a short decafe coffee every am, and the rest is water throughout the day. I do drink one of my waters with the orange flavored benefiber about once a day to just keep things regular. But other than that, I love water.

Interestingly enough, my girls do too. I remember when they were babies I was told, 'oh they don't need water, they are getting enough from the breastmilk, etc'. But I gave them water in baby bottles anyway, starting about 6 months old. I think that is why they still like drinking water to this day. They will order soda when we are at a restaurant or some other type of drink, but also ask for water, and the water is usually what they end up drinking. I would rather eat my calories than drink them any day!

It is an interesting and probably certainly up for debate.

I have never been a Water drinker. I drink it when I'm thirsty but I'm not thirsty a lot. I once had a massage and afterwards the masseuse gave me a bottle of water to "flush out the toxins." I looked back at her and said, "Oh, you shouldn't have--a year's supply!" She just laughed.

I am wondering how I am going to get all that water down after surgery on the 13th. I have heard that people's tastes change but mine will have to do a 180 to gag down 64 oz. a day, especially day after day.

There is no denying that drinking Water is good for you. I have always thought the 64 oz. a day seemed a little ridiculous. Here is an article that explains where that rule may have come from and takes a real commonsense approach to water consumption.

http://www.scientifi...s-water-per-day

I hate water. However, I've had a bout with a kidney infection (i think I passed a stone) and the pain is something I don't want to experience again. I also found out during my pre op ultrasound that I have a stone in each kidney so I am upping the Fluid intake to get them out. After that I will always need to take in a lot of water.

I'm out 1 year now and in the beginning, yes drinking Water or any liquid actually in the amount of 64oz was ludicrous thought for me. . . however, life gets back to normal soon and now i'm drinking more then 64oz for the whole day. . . i've always loved drinking water, diet sodas, and juices (light of course) so that was one thing i thought i'd miss alot, but nope, here i am drinking my favorite things again. . . i don't gulp like before mind you, i can only get down 5 gulps before the discomfort hits, but i get it down! laugh.gif

So the question is... if we get much of our needed Water from the foods we eat, and we start eating MUCH less food, and Protein at that...We would probably need to drink more water (or water containing drinks) to make up what we don't get in our food now? So how much water did we used to get from our food consumption. I know I used to make Soup allot, and eats TONS of veggies that I wont be able to get in with the sleeve... so perhaps the 64os is pretty close to what I need to supplement with. I know I like water, but seldom drank 64 ozs a day unless it was damn hot and dry.

I can only say that when I don't drink a minimum of 64 oz of Water a day I am very sluggish and don't feel right. In fact I drink closer to 70-80 oz per day. My body will retain more water the less I drink. Not to mention water does carry out all the nasty toxins floating around in our bodies, and helps you stay "regular" too. There are only more benefits to drinking plenty of water that far outweigh the negatives of not doing it.

I won't stop because of that article, however - I did like this one quote in it:

But many dieticians and other people failed to notice a critical point: namely, that much of the daily need for water could be met by the water content found in food.< p>

Keep that in mind folks, simply because you are eating maybe a fourth of what you used to. It is best to keep up with drinking as much water as you possibly can. If you are wondering at all if this is the amount you should be drinking, please talk to your surgeon... I'm sure they know what's best for you.

:)

I'm with Diva -- if I don't drink a minimum of 64 oz., then my body retains (very visible elephantitis in the ankles and feet) -- I understand that scientifically we're supposed to get enough Water from our food, etc., but with my teeny stomach, I can get in about 3 - 4 oz. of Protein and very little veggies (a floret or two of broccoli) -- and I know that I can't be getting that much water from my food with all the protein . . ..

So I drink a lot -- it also helps with the plumbing too!

I'm another one who retains Water when I stop drinking enough. Also, when I'm not getting my water in, the downward movement on the scale comes to a screeching halt.

I was hospitalized for dehydration two weeks after surgery, and let me tell you, I have never felt so ill. I do NOT want to go through that again. So, I'll keep drinking as much water as I can simply because I feel better when I do.

Another point I always try to remind myself of, many times thirst can mask itself as hunger. So when I start to feel like I need to nibble, I grab some water or some other beverage and any craving or twinge of hunger I was experiencing vanishes.

There is no denying that drinking Water is good for you. I have always thought the 64 oz. a day seemed a little ridiculous. Here is an article that explains where that rule may have come from and takes a real commonsense approach to water consumption.

http://www.scientifi...s-water-per-day

Awesome, ty.

I do try to drink as much Water as possible; I find if I don't start the day right, I forget... but I do drink a lot of tea and decafe coffee with skimmed milk.

Just out of curiosty though... how many pints is 64oz? Is it about 3 pints?

=]

I do try to drink as much Water as possible; I find if I don't start the day right, I forget... but I do drink a lot of tea and decafe coffee with skimmed milk.

Just out of curiosty though... how many pints is 64oz? Is it about 3 pints?

=]

4 pints. 1 pint = 16 oz., so 64 oz. is a half-gallon of Fluid, or a tiny bit less than 2 liters

thanks foxbins... that is good news, cos when I am on track, which is about 80% of the time, I am getting the right amount.

I have a beaker that measures about a pint of Water when full and I aim for 4 of those a day...

Thanks again =]