Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie to Vertical Sleeve Website!!

Hi,

I do not yet know how this website works. I just had my sleeve surgery last Wednesday (Dec 22). I don't know what to expect and I don't think I'm doing very well. I've already cheated! I didn't expect the hunger and I can't seem to stop being hungry even if I increase the Protein Drinks. I have already had raisin bread, tater tots, cheese, and i hate myself. I hope I'm not doomed. I wish I could just stop, but then I would not even have needed the surgery if I could just "stop"

I know what you mean. Sadly it's not a magic bullet, just a tool to help weight loss. Hopefully it'll get a bit easier once you're on proper solids. One thing that struck a chord with me is an article that Alex posted about writing down what you eat. I'm raring up to sign up to WW online so I can write down everything I eat there, that way every mouthful counts. I'm gonna do it by Jan at the latest! biggrin.gif

The article suggested sites like livestrong.com and dailyplate.com and fitday.com has also been recommended in a couple of WLS books I've read.

Hopefully you'll be on more solid food by New Year and then you can start to track properly as liquids go down way too easily.

Good luck.

The post-op healing period is the most difficult, but it gets easier. I can honestly tell you from experience that if you don't make the commitment to make better choices now, it'll be more difficult the further out you get. I'm 18 months out, and it's way harder to make the better choice. I'm not physically hungry, but that doesn't mean that cakes, Cookies, chips and pretzels don't taste good.

I didn't cheat at all during my losing phase because I wanted to get to goal, and worry about maintenance when I got there. During that time, I really worked on my relationship with food, and with the great restriction I had the first 4-5 months, I was successful. Now, making the best choice is easier because I know that making a not so great choice will not help me long term, but I fall back into some old habits, and the scale reveals it.

Stick with your post-op guidelines, really try to think of food as fuel for your body. Find something to occupy your mind when you want to mindlessly eat. Take a brisk walk, crochet, play online games, write in a journal, if you aren't tracking your food, start now so you have to be accountable, and that way you can really see what you're putting in your body. I preferred myfitnesspal.com to track my food. Plus, they have a free app for smartphones.

Surgery only helps with portions, we have to do the rest to be successful! ! !

I remember telling the surgeon post op that I felt the emptiness and he said "doesen't mean you have to eat" so I went with it. You are only a week out so use the fear of complication to help you. Eat some babybell or anything soft and full of Protein. You CAN do this. Account for your meals and Snacks. Are you losing? The excitment of losing will keep you motivated!

Hi shy and welcome to VST!!

I'm just wondering, you mentioned you are already feeling hunger... because TG I did not during the post op diet phase. Are you on any kind of Acid reducer or blocker? I think this helps a great deal with feeling hollow or hungry inside.

I rarely even feel hunger to this day. I only eat because my brain reminds me it's time. Once in awhile my stomach will gurgle and feel empty, but really is not often. In fact that happened just right now. It's 10 AM and I'm just now finishing my oatmeal. I totally forgot to eat at my normal 8AM.

Talk to your surgeon about this. I'm curious why not all Doctors prescribe this for post op Sleeve patients.

If you are, then it could be you are curbing your hunger with mostly carbohydrates. You will get hungrier and much faster doing this. If you eat carbs, make sure they are high in Fiber. It does fill you up good and it will stick with you much longer. Either that or snack on Protein filled foods.

Also, be very careful with eating foods that are not on your allowed foods yet. Your stomach is still healing and needs a chance to scar. You could very well get food particles stuck in your staple line.

I hope this helps!! You have received some great info and help above too. Keep reading and posting on here. The advice and experience is truly invaluable.

You are barely a week out. Be gentle on your new raw tummy. I just look at my wounds on the outside and imagine what it must be on the inside. I am terrified of getting some food stuck in that wound and eroding a hole. Drink constantly. Find safe compromises, soft and gentle. You can do this.

You are barely a week out. Be gentle on your new raw tummy. I just look at my wounds on the outside and imagine what it must be on the inside. I am terrified of getting some food stuck in that wound and eroding a hole. Drink constantly. Find safe compromises, soft and gentle. You can do this.

I am 17 days post op and I deal with hunger. Although, I must say that 3 or 4 bites of something and I am full. I want to move a little quicker with the things that I eat and I do. I just see how some of the other people on here were able to have mushies on their 3rd day post op. I am on the mushy stage and I struggle with what to eat. I can not have meat yet.

I made a cauiflower Soup and mashed cauiflower (like potatoes...less carbs). It was good, by 2 days of eatng that and I am bored. I also made 15 bean Soup in my crock pot and cooked it all day so it's mushy. Then I added alittle bit of greek yogurt to it and that was good.

I get about 40 grams of Protein a day, but I need to get more in. I HATE Protein shakes! They all taste yucky.....but I have to get them down. I get about 2 down a day....not enough.

What are you eating in a day? Fluids, Protein shakes, Soups???

I am struggling with some heart burn and that sucks too.

Good luck! We will be eating more foods each week. I do too cheat. I've had some hersey kisses...maybe 4 since surgery...bad I know, but I'm getting sick of pudding :)

I had my surgery the day before you and am terrified to put anything into my mouth other than what the Dr said. So its liquids until 2 week , then soft foods for another 2 weeks. Did your dr give you specific guidelines??? Just curious! ?