Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A New Way = Sleeved 12-9-10

I'm like sooo many of us: Losing and gaining weight for years, trying every diet imaginable, every diet pill available, you name it--I've did it. In 2008 I had hit my all time "top" of 270+ lbs. At 5'5" my size 22-24 was becoming tight. My BP, cholesterol, and everything else was sky high and then I started having heart problems. I was sitting in my recliner thinking here I am sober, clean, and quit smoking 8 years ago and I'm going to DIE OF OBESITY ?!!!

I started jumping through the surgery insurance hoops and entered a doctor-supervised wellness program that I was to do for 6 months. In June 2008, I started exercising, eating healthy and keeping a journal of both. I kept with this program for a year & a half and lost 90 pounds!

I pretty much kept it down but 20 came back gradually due to helping my Dad (94 yrs young) pass in March and then I shut down. I had even quit excercising and making good food choices due to grieving. In May, I had to put my dog down; 3 aunts passed; and then a young friend committed suicide. My compulsive eating took over with a vengeance! And BAM 45 pounds in 3 months (Sept/Oct/Nov 2010)!

So at this juncture, I was back up to 240+ and decided enough was enough. A friend (whom had the band done last year) took me to Dr. Aceves in Mexicalli on December 9th, 2010. I was done jumping through insurance hoops and paid the price out of pocket. I drove 800 miles to her home in Arizona and another 200 to Mexicalli. Not once was I nervous and I never had second thoughts ~ I just knew this was the right decision for me.

I don't ever remember being in pain and I was up walking about 2 hours after I got out of recovery. I went in Thursday and left Saturday afternoon. I'm very new to this and I am now in the mushy stage. I was a guzzler so that is really hard to remember to only sip. I believe this is my tool for a lifetime of help and I'm ready for it. I am 55 and have struggled all my life and today I SURRENDER!!! There's HOPE for us all! xxx

Wow... that must of been a really tough time for you and I can fully appreciate why you gained back some weight and turned to food for comfort... not many of us in your position would have done any different.

Well done for taking the decision and getting the sleeve. I know it is the best gift I have ever given myself! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress...=]

Congratulations..this is a very inspiring story. I too have literally struggled all my life and have decided to get sleeved on 1-6-2011, this will be my 41st birthday gift to myself. Thanks for sharing your story it reaaly touched my heart. Peace & happiness is on the way in 2011!

All the best,

Davida

I complete understand where you are coming from. After yo yo dieting for 20 years, I had come to the realization, I cannot do this on my own and my health was starting to go downhill. I did jump through my insurance hoops with 6 months of supervised visits with my PCP and was approved. I was sleeved on Dec 1st and it was the best decision ever for myself. Congrats on making the steps to become a healthier you. You will not regret it.