Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My hair is falling out :(

My surgeon told me this was a possibility, but since I hadn't been plagued by many of the post-op issues, I thought I could cruise past this one.

Not so much.

I was going to buy Biotin, but I wasn't sure if there was a certain dosage we should stick to? There were 500 mcg, 1mg, 1000 mcg etc, etc.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Also, what brand do you use?

Any brand will work, and I've seen people take up to 500-2500mcg per day. It's not going to stop it from falling out, all it does is help with regrowth.

It's temporary, and your hair will grow back, I promise.

Hey Fleur,

I too am losing a lot of hair... I have followed all the rules and yet it still comes out every morning in the shower... Not sure what to suggest! But it is horrid! I've just had mine cut a little shorter and I've rearranged my parting... a lot of my friends who know about the surgery, have said that it doesn't look as fine as it is?!!

Thankfully it is a temporary thing and will come back... looking forward to that day! =]

I hate to be a big poop head, but here comes my story. . . hopefully it won't be your story. . . i'm 1 year out and am still losing hair by the brushful i really hate it. . used to have really nice thick hair with a really thick braid, now my braid is thinner then my pinkie. . . i'm lucky that i don't have bald spots yet. . but you can see my scalp through my hair ontop. . .very sad. . Biotin never helped for me and neither did any shampoos or oils, or increasing my Protein. . sooooo i just do what is left and thank my blessings that at least i am losing weight and don't have all the other health problems that i had before. . . and that i'm able to do things that i couldn't do before and not be so darn embarrassed when i go into public or onto planes and have to ask for extensions etc. . . i guess i've traded one thing for another. . . i'm blessed though

I hate to be a big poop head, but here comes my story. . . hopefully it won't be your story. . . i'm 1 year out and am still losing hair by the brushful i really hate it. . used to have really nice thick hair with a really thick braid, now my braid is thinner then my pinkie. . . i'm lucky that i don't have bald spots yet. . but you can see my scalp through my hair ontop. . .very sad. . Biotin never helped for me and neither did any shampoos or oils, or increasing my Protein. . sooooo i just do what is left and thank my blessings that at least i am losing weight and don't have all the other health problems that i had before. . . and that i'm able to do things that i couldn't do before and not be so darn embarrassed when i go into public or onto planes and have to ask for extensions etc. . . i guess i've traded one thing for another. . . i'm blessed though

I am having the same problem as you thinoneday. Only my hair has been falling out since I got my lap band 4 years ago. I have tried everything too. Biotin, expensive shampoos and rinses, Protein. My hair is so thin on top that you can see my shiny scalp. Also, there is no bald people in my family, so its not hereditary.

But, I am so happy to be losing weight finally, I will put up with the almost bald spot. I feel blessed too.

My hair is falling out too!!! I will be 12 weeks out tomorrow. I was hoping it wouldn't happen because my hair is already thin! For those of you who lost hair and had regrowth, how long did it take until it started to come back in?

My hair is falling out too!!! I will be 12 weeks out tomorrow. I was hoping it wouldn't happen because my hair is already thin! For those of you who lost hair and had regrowth, how long did it take until it started to come back in?

I had new growth coming in before my shedding stopped. I started losing a noticeable amount of hair at 3.5 month post-op, and it lasted a solid 3 months.

I used Folicure extra care Shampoo every other day. On the opposite days, I used Nexxus Dualiste Anti-Breakge shampoo and conditioner.

I did not color, process, highlight my hair during the losing stage. Plus, I let my hair air dry almost every day. I never really "did" my hair unless I was going somewhere. Never pulled it tight, wore a loose ball cap when I didn't want to show off my hair.

I am still getting new growth especially around the hair line, temples, around the nape of my neck. My husband finally noticed the other day that my volume is returning. It's still lacking, but it's been a year since the shedding stopped, and new growth started coming in. So, it does come back, but it's a slow process.

I never got in my Protein until I was on mushies, and that was over 6 weeks out. I was religious about my Vitamins, but never took Biotin on a regular basis. I would estimate that I took maybe 5-8 Biotin pills before I said "screw it".

My hair is also returning to it's pre-op texture. Pre-op I had super wavy, almost curly hair when it was wet. The new growth started coming in stick straight, and it took tons of product for me to get any "bounce" or volume. I'm from Texas and love big hair, it's just what I like, I like a little "umph" if that makes sense. Anyways, my hair is starting to get bouncy again, it's shiny too. So there is hope ladies ! ! !

Hi, Knock on wood I haven't lost any yet I already have very fine and very thin hair losing as little as 5% would leave me with bald spots so I have really tried to be as proactive as I can. I started Biotin pre-op I get mine at Walmart 2500mcg. I also take collagen caps, B12, b complex and still drink Protein Shakes most mornings. I also have been using Nioxin Shampoo and conditioner which I swear by.

I had new growth coming in before my shedding stopped. I started losing a noticeable amount of hair at 3.5 month post-op, and it lasted a solid 3 months.

I used Folicure extra care Shampoo every other day. On the opposite days, I used Nexxus Dualiste Anti-Breakge shampoo and conditioner.

I did not color, process, highlight my hair during the losing stage. Plus, I let my hair air dry almost every day. I never really "did" my hair unless I was going somewhere. Never pulled it tight, wore a loose ball cap when I didn't want to show off my hair.

I am still getting new growth especially around the hair line, temples, around the nape of my neck. My husband finally noticed the other day that my volume is returning. It's still lacking, but it's been a year since the shedding stopped, and new growth started coming in. So, it does come back, but it's a slow process.

I never got in my Protein until I was on mushies, and that was over 6 weeks out. I was religious about my Vitamins, but never took Biotin on a regular basis. I would estimate that I took maybe 5-8 Biotin pills before I said "screw it".

My hair is also returning to it's pre-op texture. Pre-op I had super wavy, almost curly hair when it was wet. The new growth started coming in stick straight, and it took tons of product for me to get any "bounce" or volume. I'm from Texas and love big hair, it's just what I like, I like a little "umph" if that makes sense. Anyways, my hair is starting to get bouncy again, it's shiny too. So there is hope ladies ! ! !

Thanks! I will have to try those shampoo's. I don't color my hair or do anything to it, but maybe I shouldn't put it up in a ponytail so often :(

I had the same problem with losing it from lap band surgery and it never really had time to recover when I had my revision to sleeve surgery.

I used to have super thick hair and couldn't keep any type of clips in it. They wouldn't close because it was so thick. Now they fall out because my hair is so thin. The only good part of it is, mine is coming back curly. I love it.

I did get all my Protein in from day one and have been taking Biotin for almost 4 years. I don't think it does anything but it's cheap and I take it because I don't think it hurts a thing.

I would say mine fell out from about 3 months until I was at least a year post op, but then I had my gall bladder surgery and I don't think that helped anything either. From what I've read, any type of surgery can cause Hair loss due because it's a shock to the system.

I have new hair coming in all over the place but it's going to take a long time for it to grow to be the length of the rest of my hair. It now looks frizzy all the time because of all the different lengths all over the place. They have good products for that though!

While dieters do experience Hair loss due to lack of nutrition, your hair loss is probably due to your surgery. Anesthisia cause hair loss about 3-6 months post op for all surgeries. So the sooner you can get a jump on new Hair growth by taking Biotin, zinc and using hair products, the better.

Any brand will work, and I've seen people take up to 500-2500mcg per day. It's not going to stop it from falling out, all it does is help with regrowth.

It's temporary, and your hair will grow back, I promise.

At what point and how long before it starts growing back? I am 6 mos out and the front of my hair is literally "see through"!

I have been losing my hair for almost a month now. It got pretty bad for a minute and I started to feel a little worried.

I started taking Biotin 2500mcg religiously once I realized I was seeing lots of hair in the drain and after brushing. I do not wash my hair every day - as is a golden rule for those of us who have curls. So, that at least helps with the hair not pulling out as much. Anyway I have noticed a slight thinning of my hair. Nothing really bad and for me worrisome, because my hair is naturally very thick and very curly. I have plenty and as long as it doesn't continue to fall out too much (fingers crossed) I should be ok for awhile.

I have noticed that something is working - I suspect its the Biotin. I have a bunch of tiny little growths that like to poke out on my head! I have to try to slick them down because they kinda just do what they want... :lol: I have also noticed that the hair isn't falling out as much as it did in the very start. So, good!!! I hope that's it - but not to worry it does start growing back at some point.

So far mines lasted from about 2.5 months out to start and I'm almost 4 months out now and I have some regrowth (quite a bit actually) already.

My surgeon told me this was a possibility, but since I hadn't been plagued by many of the post-op issues, I thought I could cruise past this one.

Not so much.

I was going to buy Biotin, but I wasn't sure if there was a certain dosage we should stick to? There were 500 mcg, 1mg, 1000 mcg etc, etc.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Also, what brand do you use?

sorry i forgot i posted already! :rolleyes:

At what point and how long before it starts growing back? I am 6 mos out and the front of my hair is literally "see through"!

Your hair is growing back in, you just can't see it yet.

I had new growth coming in before the shedding stopped so everyone is different. But, I still have new growth coming in and it's been a year since my shedding stopped.