Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved 12/22/2010

So I was sleeved this past Wednesday. I am so blessed. I had undergone an emergency coronary double bypass 4 years ago and after failing every attempt to lose weight decided on the sleeve. I saw all of the resrtictions and complications with the Gastric Bypass and decided that it was not for me. Surgery was right on time, I was tired of explaining to everyone what all the extra scars on my body were from (Open heart surgery) and having to hear over again how young I was, but I made it! The hospital staff was great, but many assumed I had just undergone the GBP. I would mention sleeve and they assumed I meant lap band, (Very strange) I have not been in to much pain. Much of the pain is from the gas. But nausea was a plenty. My mouth was watering everytime I tried to choke down my juice. I did throw up once and was worried thinking of the fact I could break a staple. I was sent home with nausea meds and pain elixir (Tylenol) Have not had to use the nausea med. I have used to pain med to sleep. I have not been able to get all the Protein in. Not too worried about this as I have read so many posts regarding this. Drinking Water as much as tolerated. I am suffering with disconfort from gas, lft shoulder pain, back pain, and menstrual cramps! (yuck) I say discomfort because I have not felt any real pain. I feel a little out of breath, but am using the breathing device to help. I am able to push that little plastic disk up higher and higher. I missed out on the Christmas festivities, because I was making others uncomfortable. They all felt bad because I couldn't eat. Mom's ham, mash potatoes, veggies, chocolate silk pie, tamales, and ....everything else went untouched by me. I didn't miss it and I am happy with my decision. Unfortuately my original surgery should have been in Oct but things dont always work out the way that you want them to.

On a side note, I had planned to buy this beautiful purple velvet coat with a floral pattern through it. The jacket was pricy and I was unsure what size to buy. I had decided to wait and see....Low and behold I am opening my gift from my husband and he bought the coat I wanted. He quickly explained that th jacket could be taken in once I had lost the weight I wanted to. I cried. It was such a moving moment for me. My husband kissed my face over and over. I felt hope which is what I have been missing for so long. I have a chance again and I am thankful. I have been praying over and over to my God. I wasnt scared when I went in for surgery. I trust in my Lord and asked that his will be done. I even reasoned with him explaining I would have more energy for the religious educations classes I teach at our church. Thinking back I know he saw right through me..lol

Thanks to everyone on these forums. Tiffykins, I especially enjoy reading your post and responses. You help us all with the cut and dry truths. God bless us all this coming New Year. It has been such a long journey, but the thing I have discovered is that the journey is neverending, Its just another stop until you move on to the next task we deem to be important to strive for. Those of you considering the surgery, be realistic. Your life will change! but the good thing is that "your life will change!" Those of you who post with so much courage, I love you all. Any suggestions you may have please send them my way. God Bless all of you as you continue on your journey. Becca, I will be praying for you as you undergo your surgery on Monday.

What a very sweet post! I am so happy you got your sleeve for Christmas! How wonderful. You husband's gift was so precious. It made me tear up reading it. I wish you the best in your recovery. I will be right behind you as I will be sleeved on Monday. Hugs!

This is such a wonderful post. I got a little teary-eyed too. Thank you for sharing, it helps those of us who are just behind you have faith and hope. God bless you!

Feeling weak today from lack of food I am able to get in. I was up at 3:30am feeling hungry, so I sipped on my Protein juice. Had to stay awake for an hour just to get it all in..lol A week ago I would have pounded that drink and went right back to sleep. Currently chowing on cream of wheat. Feels nice to have something with a little more substance in my belly. I am taking it slow because I realize that this is a process and I have to learn what my body wants to eat.

What a great present. I had a friend who bought a size med dress for when I get to my ideal size. I had been thinking of getting something for to look at as I become the incredible shrinking woman. As I am now down almost 30 lbs. It has been a quiet holiday this year as my husband and I could not travel due to work and he is being considerate of me and my current food limitations. This is the best present we have given ourselves this year and many more blessings in the year to come.

Yep... this is the best present ever... and I too count my blessings everyday. I am glad that I found this tool to help me get well and healthy again. I am glad that I have a support family and amazing friends (those of whom I have told). I am also glad that I joined this forum to gain a wealth of advise and kind words when they are needed... not to mention the extra support from my new cyber family!!

So I was sleeved this past Wednesday. I am so blessed. I had undergone an emergency coronary double bypass 4 years ago and after failing every attempt to lose weight decided on the sleeve. I saw all of the resrtictions and complications with the Gastric Bypass and decided that it was not for me. Surgery was right on time, I was tired of explaining to everyone what all the extra scars on my body were from (Open heart surgery) and having to hear over again how young I was, but I made it! The hospital staff was great, but many assumed I had just undergone the GBP. I would mention sleeve and they assumed I meant lap band, (Very strange) I have not been in to much pain. Much of the pain is from the gas. But nausea was a plenty. My mouth was watering everytime I tried to choke down my juice. I did throw up once and was worried thinking of the fact I could break a staple. I was sent home with nausea meds and pain elixir (Tylenol) Have not had to use the nausea med. I have used to pain med to sleep. I have not been able to get all the Protein in. Not too worried about this as I have read so many posts regarding this. Drinking Water as much as tolerated. I am suffering with disconfort from gas, lft shoulder pain, back pain, and menstrual cramps! (yuck) I say discomfort because I have not felt any real pain. I feel a little out of breath, but am using the breathing device to help. I am able to push that little plastic disk up higher and higher. I missed out on the Christmas festivities, because I was making others uncomfortable. They all felt bad because I couldn't eat. Mom's ham, mash potatoes, veggies, chocolate silk pie, tamales, and ....everything else went untouched by me. I didn't miss it and I am happy with my decision. Unfortuately my original surgery should have been in Oct but things dont always work out the way that you want them to.

On a side note, I had planned to buy this beautiful purple velvet coat with a floral pattern through it. The jacket was pricy and I was unsure what size to buy. I had decided to wait and see....Low and behold I am opening my gift from my husband and he bought the coat I wanted. He quickly explained that th jacket could be taken in once I had lost the weight I wanted to. I cried. It was such a moving moment for me. My husband kissed my face over and over. I felt hope which is what I have been missing for so long. I have a chance again and I am thankful. I have been praying over and over to my God. I wasnt scared when I went in for surgery. I trust in my Lord and asked that his will be done. I even reasoned with him explaining I would have more energy for the religious educations classes I teach at our church. Thinking back I know he saw right through me..lol

Thanks to everyone on these forums. Tiffykins, I especially enjoy reading your post and responses. You help us all with the cut and dry truths. God bless us all this coming New Year. It has been such a long journey, but the thing I have discovered is that the journey is neverending, Its just another stop until you move on to the next task we deem to be important to strive for. Those of you considering the surgery, be realistic. Your life will change! but the good thing is that "your life will change!" Those of you who post with so much courage, I love you all. Any suggestions you may have please send them my way. God Bless all of you as you continue on your journey. Becca, I will be praying for you as you undergo your surgery on Monday.