Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pre surgery over eating

Now that I am closing in on the date of my surgery I find myself eating an extra super amount of food. It is like something inside of me feels like I am never going to eat well again. I feel like a inmate on death row everytime it comes to eating as if I better make every meal count. I know in my head it is not truely the end of eating so why cant I kick that urge to eat like its the last supper ?1

I've been doing the same thing. My surgery is January 5th. My doctor told me I didn't need to do a liquid diet leading up to surgery, but I'm going to anyway. My kid and hubby have been throwing up and sick and today my tummy has pains, so I'll start it when my tummy can tolerate it (perhaps tomorrow). Today I'm just eating bland things.

I know that this is hard to control but you need to be strong.. Always remember what you are doing this for and have a set day to have a last supper before your liquid diet. for me it is going to be a filet mignon,mashed potatoes,asparagus a salad and a molten lava cake..I know that I will miss the foods that I used to desire but I know what I am doing this for. My health and being here for my grand kids is worth everything. I think the doc told me it was called suvivor eating..anyway good luck and stay strong..

My surgery is scheduled for Jan. 13 and I am eating less than usual! I think it's because I'm nervous, and also I am trying to practice taking little bites. This morning I ate a waffle and started on a second but decided I was full and stopped.

I hope my head stays in this place after surgery!

I had several last meals prior to my pre-op diet. I had to be one for 7 days with a clear liquid the day before surgery. For some of things I knew that it would be quite a while before I would be able to have them again but it will be in a much smaller quantity or healthy way. I was sleeved Dec 1st and right now I am not hungry for most of that stuff. I have to remind myself to eat. It will get better. I think the pre-op diet was the hardest for me. As I am now adding some food back, old cravings are not there. Do try to start with the smaller bites and not drinking with meals and you will have a great start for after surgery.

I too am doing this, but I think the holidays has something to do with it. For awhile I was doing so good eating small portions, limiting drinks with meals, and not eating after 7:30 pm and I was losing weight, but for the month of December I have really been overdoing it. Crazy thing is that I have been working out more because I know I am eating horribly. I really wanted to focus on weights for after surgery reasons, but have been trying to fit in a lot of cardio to burn these extra calories. After the holidays I am going to get serious, will have 4 weeks before surgery and that should be enough to get myself on track. As for presurgery I have a pretty simple meal plan, Carnation instant Breakfast (2 packs and 16 oz skim milk) for Breakfast and dinnfer, then a large (500-600 calorie) lunch and one small snack. Looks very doable. I am supposed to do this for two weeks. So I am not worried about this, except for only having CIB for dinner, might be a little struggle but that surgery will be in my sights so I know I can do it!!!

Take care

and Happy New Year!

Now that I am closing in on the date of my surgery I find myself eating an extra super amount of food. It is like something inside of me feels like I am never going to eat well again. I feel like a inmate on death row everytime it comes to eating as if I better make every meal count. I know in my head it is not truely the end of eating so why cant I kick that urge to eat like its the last supper ?1

I have been doing the same thing for the last week. My surgery is on Dec 29th so I start my liquid diet tomorrow evening. I am almost sick of food now. I think im ready to start the liquid diet now. I do feel the worry of loosing my favorite foods but I know it will be so worth it. I keep thinking about how different next Christmas will be. Looking forward to it.

I have been doing the same thing for the last week. My surgery is on Dec 29th so I start my liquid diet tomorrow evening. I am almost sick of food now. I think im ready to start the liquid diet now. I do feel the worry of loosing my favorite foods but I know it will be so worth it. I keep thinking about how different next Christmas will be. Looking forward to it.

Congrats on your date! My surgery is on Monday the 27th!!

I had my "last supper" on Friday, which was sushi, one of the only things I cannot live without :) Well forever anyway, I know its gonna be a long while before I can eat carbs again. But I didnt let myself feel guilty because I was very good about restricting carbs and fatty foods for about the entire month of December.

EEEEK Im so nervous about my date! I feel like Im going through the motions but Im not allowing myself to get all emotional and daydream about life after VSG. Im not sure why , but I dont even feel comfortable talking about it with friends/family for too long or I start to freak out LOL. Is that unhealthy? Or does everyone go through that?

I completely know where you are coming from. I kept eating like it was my last meal the past few weeks. I am pretty much sick of over doing it. I am on the pre-op liquid diet now. It will be interesting to see how the sleeve works. I sure know I never lost my appetite/ hunger with the band. I can't even imagine NOT wanting to eat.

I was just the opposite. I had watching what I hate for the months prior to surgery and I kept thinking the more I lose now, the less after surgery. I also wanted to improve my odds in surgery by being in the best nutritional shape for it as wall as shrinking my liver. I figured better to learn before hand new habits rather than struggling afterward.

Well thanks everyone just knowing I am not a loner gives me a confidence boost. There is just something about saying it outloud ( or a post ) that's helps you get past it . I am having my surgery in Fed 58 days from now so I think I will have time to clean up my act. I hope to start 2011 off right

I thought I would go crazy. But I didn't.

Part of that was because my surgeon made me sign a paper saying I wouldn't gain anymore than 5 lbs or the surgery wouldn't happen.

I'm glad though because while I did allow myself to eat one last "unhealthy " thing.

I managed to drop about 25 pounds between pre op and the 2 weeks before.

Don't worry about it. I gained 10lbs in a month before I had surgery. I ate everything. It would be Breakfast and I HAD to have IHOP omelette for the last time. lunch a whopper for the last time. dinner chicken Tenders from ________. Every day like that. At one point I wish I would have controlled myself better so I could be thinner now and not have to take those extra 10 lbs off. On the other hand I don't miss the food and didn't right after surgery. I don't know if it's because I said goodbye but more likely it's just from the surgery it's self. I did have a 7 day low carb diet before surgery that I very much stuck to. You don't want your liver to be slippery and surgery to have to be put off or your organs harmed.

I am in the same boat as well. I have been eating everything under the sun since my Kaiser Options classes ended on 10/26. I have gained close to 20 pounds in the last 2 months because of all of the fast food and junk food that I have been eating including all of the holiday food as well. My thinking was that since I was going to be losing weight with the surgery then I might as well enjoy these few weeks before I have the surgery and have to been on a liquid diet for weeks. I have to meet with the surgeon this Thursday 12/30 for my final appt and to get my date, I am afraid that he will not give me a date until I lose these 20 pounds. So I have decided that I am going to go on Liquid Protein diet for the next 3 day to try to lose some of this weight. Wish will luck.

Thanks.

Jen

I think that is completely normal behavior. I remember doing the exact same thing, in fact I gained 10 lbs before I started my preop diet doing just that. Don't sweat it too much, once the surgery is done you won't be able to over eat and honestly I didn't really miss any foods right after the surgery. Now that I am far enough along that I can eat whatever I want, I find that I am really not as interested in the things I used to crave. Just remember that whatever you put on beforehand will just be that much more you have to take off afterwards. It is possible, you will succeed either way!