Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want a diet coke

It's too early to have carbonation at 3 weeks post-op and my surgeon discourages carbonation for life. Didn't you discuss this with your pre-op team before surgery?

Every doctor has different guidelines for carbonated drinks. The general consensus seems to be that it's not a good idea for the 1st 6 weeks and after that to listen closely to your body's signals for how it responds. Everybody is so individual. Some find that the bubbles cause great discomfort, but I've heard others say that they have one once a week (after the 6 week mark) and have no problems.

If and when you do drink carbonated soda again it would probably be a good idea to let it sit for awhile and get some of the carbonation out. Not fully flat (I mean, what good is soda if it's flat, right?!) but at least long enough that the initial "fizz" can go.

I'm a diet Pepsi fan myself and am looking forward to that first "test" sip to see how it goes down.

Good luck!

With my surgery 3 weeks away, I'm sooooo glad I kicked my diet coke habit or I might be white knuckling it. I was an addict though...I loved, loved, loved Diet Coke. I quit drinking it over a year ago and have had a couple since then but it just doesn't do it for me now. Everything I've read says no carbonation...maybe I'm mistaken....I don't think I'll test it though.

I think it is important to be honest and admit my mistakes. I was the biggest Diet Pepsi addict I know. I have even damaged my bladder with the ammount I drank. I always tried to off set it by drinking tons of Water. (How often do you think I uttered the phrase, "I gotta pee!") For 6 months after surgery, I didn't do any carbonation. Then, like an alcoholic, I justified....maybe just a little. Now I drink one every morning and have no trouble. Is it good for my band? NO. I will get a handle on it soon I hope.

Christine

This was an issue that I had and this was asked awhile back by someone else in an earlier thread and everyone has different opinions on the subject. I stopped cold turkey from all of it and I was fine. And then I went to get a fill and I asked my doctor about it. I told him that my husband and I go out with our friends on the weekend and that I would like to able to have a Gin & Tonic or a Jack and Diet coke instead of maybe a fruity, sugary drink made with juice and high in sugar. I told him that it was a big discussion on this message board and he looked at me and shook his head and told me not to believe everything I read and that it was ok to have a carbonated drink every once and awhile (not everyday, all day) and that it wouldn't hurt me. If anything, he told me to stay away from the regular sodas full of sugar and not to gulp them. Let them lose some of their carbonation or let them Water down a bit and it would be fine. Still to this day, if I have one...that's just it...one and that is about once a week. I stick to my Propel, Vitamin water, Crystal Light, plain water, coffee, tea and milk. And when we do go out...I sometimes opt for the Bloody Mary or Martini instead of the Gin & Tonic just to keep from having to burp in public!!! :) Common courtesy prevails...;) . So...talk to your doctor and get his advice and go from there. This is what my doctor told me..."Always ask me first. Never test it on your own." Best advice he has given me. :gluck:

Ask your doc first, definitely. I didn't have any problems with de-fizzified soda until my last fill. I would just give it a really l-o-n-g pour over ice, then stir it with a straw. It was great. Then with my last fill, even that small amount of carbonation made it impossible for me to eat Soup and gave me a fifteen minute air-golfball.

I quit, right then, cold-turkey, no regrets.

I suppose that is what they mean when they say...as tolerated.

My doc said NO NO NO on the diet soda's only because of the fizz. I was about 6 month post op and was dying for a diet sprite, so I let it sit over night open, untill all the fizz was gone, flat. The next day I poured it over ice and it was pretty good, it actually satisified my craving. Haven't had one in a while and I don't miss it to much.

Carbonation is not worth wrecking your band.

I have sips of my husbands diet coke every once in awhile when we go out to eat. I never drink a full can and I have never ordered my own. I don't have pain, just a little uncomfortable feeling, like I need to burp.

I don't suggest anyone every drink any kind of pop!! It's probably better if all of us never drink another one again. But, if you choose to, it won't be the end of the world.

This will be my greatest....O and I do men GREATEST challenge. I'm a carbonation FREAK!!!! Mind you I am not banded, I drink a 2 liter of Diet Pepsi a day, and that is CONTROLLING myself!!!!! I also know it is HORRIBLE for your bones and the rest of your body, and I still LOVE IT!!!! I now have my Hubby addicted to it too...I am so sorry Hubby, please forgive me:pray: But with this obsession I think I will not tempt myself when I get banded. LOL cuz I know I would be Legallyblond2. Smoking and soda are 2 of the same to me......I will succede!!!! IWILL..... I hope LOL

I knew that I wanted the band in dec, so I stoped cokes and smokes before I applyd for the band. I am glad to say I have not had either sense Jan 1st 2006.

My doc said NEVER again to any card beverage. He said once sip would not hurt, but if you did it every day for a year those 365 sips could stretch your pouch. He had a good point, He told me to take a bottle coke, let it sit over night, the take a ballon and put over the top, flip the coke over and then back upright and watch the ballon blow up. Even though it sits over night it still had bubbles. The ballon it your stomach. Just that image keeps me away from coke.

My doc also says "No" for multiple reasons. But, someone in my support group said that they tried it and it really hurt bad. I've not tried it, I'm too scared! I've read many people on this site who said that it's OK if you let it go flat but then what good is that?? Part of the "thrill" for me has always been the fizz! LOL.