Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I call the Doc?

I had A LOT of nervousness before surgery and almost cancelled....decided to go ahead with it on Wednesday Dec 15. Everything went fine. Went home feeling good on Friday. Friday night I had to go to the ER and was re-admitted due to an infection (one of those bugs you get from the hospital). Got out again on Sunday. My husband and kids have been troopers. I am not getting enough Water and have tried 5 different Protein driinks....they all make me gag. I'm very scared about not getting enough protein intake. They said to get 80 grams of protein. Say what? My estimate is about 15 grams. I'm doing yogurt in the morning and broth at lunch and dinner but no protein supplement. I know I will get more protein in next week on purees, is it o.k to wait that long or should I call the Doc?

I'm really regretting this and feeling sorry for myself...my instincts were right not to go through with this.

When I was in hospital - and I stayed 3 nights as I was having a lot of pain and had difficulty getting liquids down, so needed to stay on the drip - they gave me Jello, apple juice, broth and camomile tea... so zero Protein. I'm guessing in the really early days or first couple of weeks you shouldn't get too deficient. I'd be interested to hear others' opinions though.

I was told 70 grams a day however the first 3 weeks I got maybe half that. Maybe. Now that I am on real food a month out it is better but I still don't get 70 grams everyday. Hang in there it will get better you will see. Just wait. You will lose all that weight and be much healthier.

Hello Mama, do not worry - things will get much better. Right now though your main focus really should be getting all your fluids in. Protein will come later when you can make sure you can get all your oz of Water in.

You didn't make a mistake doing this, you did this to save yourself. It takes a very brave person to go through with something like this. I think you only need to give yourself some time, and be patient. I didn't start feeling normal again until about a month out. That probably seems worlds away at this point, however - it does go by very fast. I'm already working into my 3rd month being sleeved.

It's best not to go down the negative road, it's hard to climb out of. Hang in there and just know, you are not alone!!!

When I was in hospital - and I stayed 3 nights as I was having a lot of pain and had difficulty getting liquids down, so needed to stay on the drip - they gave me Jello, apple juice, broth and camomile tea... so zero Protein. I'm guessing in the really early days or first couple of weeks you shouldn't get too deficient. I'd be interested to hear others' opinions though.

The first week is kinda rough - just swallowing takes some getting used to. I would not worry about protein unless you are still not getting much in after a month. A week long fast is hardly enough to make hair fall out. I am just entering week three after surgery and I can eat and drink almost anything. I am still adjusting to how my new stomach communicates and overeating is a real pain. I would say go slow for the first week and just work on your liquids. It is amazing how fast our bodies heal from such a drastic change. Be patient. PS I hated the tea and apple juice.

Hydration is key right now. Honestly, I didn't get in Protein for the first 20ish days once I was able to eat. My surgeon told me to not push things that made me puke, and to skip the Protein supplements, to chew my Vitamins, and keep pushing fluids. The protein will come in time, but if you can't tolerate the supplements then it's not going to do you any good if you end up puking them up.

Try to stay positive, even through the most difficult times, try to make the best of it. I know it's very difficult to not be "negative nelly", but believe me, once you're over the hump, you're going to think back to these tough days and think "That was nothing compared to how great I feel".

Some great advise given here,,, Mama -C-Ta.

And not much I can add, but agree... I too didn't even think about Protein for the first three weeks... concentrate on fluids at this point and let you body rest and recover over the major op it has just had... then, when you are ready, you can add more Protein.< /p>

Do try to stay positive and remember, this is a great and safe place to vent!

Good luck =]

MaMaCTa: I am so sorry that you are having a difficult time.

My NUT said that we should get between 40-60 grams of Protein daily, and I just went out and bought a little paperback book that is a Protein counter, and it says the same thing.... I think 80 grams is WAY too high, from what I read.

If you can't drink the thicker liquids, have you heard about Isopure, the drink? It's thin, like Kool Aid consistency.. Here's one idea... make Isopure popsicles. Pop open a bottle of the Grape, and pour it in ice cube trays. When it the cubes start to harden, stick in a toothpick in each one, then eventually pop them out and eat them.

That might help, one of those big bottles has a lot of protein in it.

Water and hydration are really even more important, you can catch up with the protein when you feel better, but force yourself to drink water... little sips, but constantly.

Good luck to you and feel better fast.

Cindrella

So sorry to hear you are not feeling great. My doctor said to try to get half the Protein in, but he admitted even that can be hard. But truthfully I lived on weak Koolaid, sweet Jello, 1 Protein Drink a day that took a while to get down, and lots of hearty chicken broth that I would sip like tea. My first real food eventually was cottage cheese and I began to puree some of the boiled chicken and put it in my broth. It was actually very satisfying. I just had to get down what I could get down.

I too had regrets afterwards, but eventually you will realize its done so its a sip at a time, a minute by minute, hour by hour thing. Try not to think too far ahead. Try to go in survival mode and hunker down into yourself, meditate, pray, read inspirational things or listen to them. No negative influences. Anyone who is not your cheerleader is not allowed. Bc no goin backwards now. You will do well. You will.

Your husband sounds like a good support system, but he may begin to get a bit afraid. You gotta stay strong for him too. My husband kind of got scared when I couldn't eat and was crying and stuff. He still remembers that and talks about it.

Mama...do not get down...and remember...we can't change the past...we can only move forward. You are regretting the surgery right now...but think how healthy you are going to be in a few short months...AND you will be able to enjoy your children and your husband even more with less weight. Keep your chin up...and be thankful you found this site so we can all support you as well.

Also...I was pretty sick in the hospital as well...my surgeon told me...not to even think about the Protein when I got home...to focus on my fluids and if I can add a Protein shake then great. I think you will find if you just keep trudging forward...you'll eventually be able to get your Protein in!!!

Good Luck!!!

My doctor said to try to get 45 grams in, but like the others, I didn't even really worry about anything but the liquids for a couple of weeks and the doc said that was fine. I use Kellogg's K2o lemonade flavor in my Water. It has 10 grams of Protein and I drink 3 16 oz bottles, sipping throughout the day on top of the regular water I drink. Before surgery I drank SO much water every day, but now the taste of plain water doesn't work so well for me but I love the K2o! It's only 30 calories and 10 grams of protein! It also comes in iced tea and strawberry-kiwi flavors.

Thanks all for your advice, kind words, and concern. I'm doing a bit better physically but still on the downhill emotionally. I can't believe I did this to myself. Trying to stay hydrated. Maybe getting 5 grams of Protein in a day. I can start on purees on Wed. Looking forward to some Beans.< /p>