Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I went to dinner with my son tonight

I ordered a half sandwich of tuna and Soup. I was only able to eat like 6 very tiny bites of the tuna ( bread and lettuce removed) and about a 1/4th of the cup of the soup.

Between this and what they said at my follow up class today I am wondering is this is it??? Will I ever get more in? I am 3 weeks out.

Today they talked about buyers remorse in class, I have never experienced it, I don't think until tonight. I did not miss the food so much as the experience of enjoying dinner out.

I ate super slow and managed to make it look like I was eating the entire time my son was so he did not feel uncomfortable, but still I found the whole thing stressing.

I was thinking here I was paying for this food I could not eat and worried about what he would think eating while I played with the food.

I have been really lucky in the fact that I have had no nausea, no heartburn and no foamies that I see mentioned here. I guess this was just a good night to eat?

We eat out a lot, and it was one of the things I worried about as well..... but to be honest, I much prefer being slimmer to being the size I was so that balances it out in my head.

I also find that I only order a starter now, and eat that while hubby eats his starter and main course. I sometimes have a bite of whatever he is having, and also a spoonful of his dessert, but find the portion sizes very daunting now whereas before I would have eaten everything.

Do I miss it....I won't say I don't, but I find I don't now live my life around food. The vets who are about a year out do say their capacity increases a little..... if I eat really slowly I find I can get thru most of a starter, but I do find myself yearning for foods which there is just no point in me ordering as I'll never finish it and it seems a waste to pay the money for me to take it home. So those things (like steak) I tend to cook at home, so it works out cheaper) or nab a bite of someone elses so I still get the taste I desire.

At 3 weeks out your stomach is also probably still swollen and recovering from surgery - its a slow road, but one I've not regretted for a moment.

Good luck.

A big reason why I have chosen to not eat out anymore! I don't want to waste all that money on food that I won't eat! Most stuff I won't reheat at home so it's just not worth it! I LOVE to cook so I'll just make what I want at home!!

Now I know there will be times where I will have to eat out (road trip coming up) but we have already planned that I'll just share my meal with either my DH or DD!

Can I just say though GOOD JOB on the WL so far!! 60+lbs in Three Weeks!! WOW!!!!!!!

I haven't been sleeved yet but I devised a plan that I hope will work. LOL. I have a 2yr old daughter so whenever we go out to eat as a family I will order a full entree and she adn I can share it. That way it doesn't look funny that I'm not eating and I don't have to order something off the kiddy menu that she won't eat anyway. Whenever we go out to eat she never eats what we order for her and she ends up picking off daddy's plate anyway. So I figure it works! Once she gets older I'll have to think of something else. And of course when I go out to eat without her I'll have to have a different plan.

Please know that you will be able to eat more food later on. Relish these moments of major restriction, and know that right now, it's all about healing.

I can eat half of a tuna sandwich from Panera bread with all the bread, and almost an entire cup of Soup at 18 months out. That's a "normal" meal on their menu, right? So, I'd say I'm pretty normal by most standards.

When I first started eating out, I was around 3.5 months out. I still had super tight restriction, and I learned that eating out with friends and family is more about the experience than the food. Pack up leftovers and take them home when you're this early out. I really found a greater appreciation for fellowship, good laughs, and good times when eating out. I can honestly say it's great to not focus on the menu, and wondering what I can order to shovel in my mouth. Don't get me wrong, I had one moment of buyer's remorse. It was last Thanksgiving. I was almost 6 months out, and I was so mad that I couldn't pig out on the one day fat chicks are allowed to do so without anyone saying crap to me about how much I was eating. It was a fleeting moment because when I realized everyone else was in a food induced coma, and here I was rip, roaring and ready to go climb a mountain. It was great to not have food control me.

You're super early out, your body is still healing, the staple line isn't even completely healed over yet, and you'll be able to eat more later on. I promise. I can eat double to triple the amounts I could at 2-3 months out depending on the food consistency.

What you are experiencing is normal compared to my experiences 10 months ago. You are still swollen on the inside. You will have less restriction later, and you will come to settle in to a place you are happy. I get as excited to go eat as ever, but truly some days I can eat more than others. Usually I cut the bread in half bc otherwise I fill up too much. I might take one bite or two as a whole sandwich and then after that just eat little bread. Soup is very filling too, at least for a while. I can't say I eat much soup nowadays.

I had trouble eating tuna salad that soon bc it is so thick, and you already eat bread? Are you 3 weeks out or 3 months out? If 3 weeks, then that is different than my post op diet. I couldn't handle things that dense for a long time. Especially the texture of tuna or hummus and things like that. But now I can, with the bread.

Check with your post op diet and see where you are supposed to be at today and stick with that plan. Otherwise you could injure your insides and believe me, you don't want to have a problem.

I eat out a lot -- but I've resigned myself to the fact that my husband will eat whatever I don't eat. For me, the whole purpose in going out is enjoying not having to cook and enjoying the company -- in fact, like others, I find the huge portions now really daunting and can't imagine eating it all even if I could!

I know 3 weeks out I could barely eat anything -- now, I'm able to eat about 3/4 of a cup of food, so it's much more enjoyable now. :)

At 3 weeks out I wasn't even allowed any food like that. I was on full liquids and those foods were added for me after 6 weeks (which is now).

Be happy that they allow you these foods, and I don't mean to sound mean. While I am only 6 weeks out, I believe it gets better.

A ighast meant to ask is, if your son doesn't know you had surgery? Maybe he is actually happy for you? And in the end, he got a free meal, no reason to complain no matter how much you eat :)

I enjoy eating out, I may not eat alot of my food but I enjoy the leftovers. I must admit that there are times that I'm really mad that I can't eat more, lol, yesterday I could only eat about 3oz of a really great steak, and my son ate my left overs !!:(

Ok I have not figured out the multi quote thing, so I will just clarify a few questions here. I am 3 weeks out. My nut really encouraged me to try tuna, I thought it was a bit soon and I was right. I did not have the bread at all. I just took tiny tiny bits of tuna with the fork and chewed it to oblivion.

I have not lost 60 pound in 3 wees, but that would be great:rolleyes: I lost 50 pounds in the months prior to surgery.

My son does know I had the surgery, I just did not want him to feel self conscious that I was done 2 minutes in to the meal.

I basically have a half a tuna fish sandwich left in fridge, and it will probably go to the feral cats outside.

Things I can eat easy are yogurt, baby food, humus on carb control whole wheat tortilla, I eat about a quarter of the tortilla for a meal.

eggs, pudding, cheese, Soup, cottage cheese, Jello and Protein shakes.

I think I will avoid going out to eat as much as possible. It will be easy to avoid it after the holiday, but during this week there are so many people to meet and socialize with.

I wouldn't worry about it. 4.5 months out, I can eat quite a bit. There's still an occasional meal where I, for whatever reason, can't eat more than 3-4 bites (last night's chicken lasagna is an example), but there are many times where I eat a modest-sized meal - enough that people wouldn't wonder if I dislike the food or have anorexia or something like that. Today for lunch, I had about a cup of burrito mix with beef, a honey mandarin, and 2 small Cookies (1 inch in diameter or so). With this quantity of food, I actually have to make sure I don't have a snack too soon, because you can end up eating quite a bit in one day.

It takes some time for the swelling in your stomach to subside, 3 weeks definitely isn't enough. And after several months, your sleeve will also stretch out a bit, accomodating more food.