Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5-Days Out... so Many Changes!

Hello Sleevers... today I am five days out from surgery. Woke up this moring feeling much more "normal" than any day since surgery.

Not much pain, not really any nausea, but my stomach does make HORRIBLE noises as soon as I eat anything. Sounds like a garbage disposal, LOL... how long till THAT passes?

Yesterday I had trouble getting all my liquids in, but doing much better today with them. it is really a CONCENTRATED effort to get all the liquids in they want you to, though, but I know it is really important.

Cups of Cammomile tea help, and count as the Water part.

It is almost SCARY how little I can eat. I mean, we're talking about eating a thimble full of food and I feel stuffed, and am belching and gurgling. I expected that I could only eat a tiny but I guess I just couldn't imagine how LITTLE of anything I can eat.

One surprise is that, maybe this didn't happen to everyone, but my tastes seem to have changed. I am not hungry AT ALL, and when I do eat, any kind of meat seems absolutely repulsive to me. I can't even imagine eating red meat, and tuna and even chicken and turkey seem very unappealing.

Also, the biggest surprise is that chocolate tastes GROSS to me... yuk, it's like almost slimy tasting. I now seem to crave vanilla. Is it sujpposed to happen that your tastes flip around???

So here is the best thing that I can eat...

- One half of a shot glass full of mashed potatoes, with a little gravy.

- One half of a shot glass full of mashed sweet potato. No butter, a little pepper.

- One half of a shot glass of mashed advocado

- A mini-bite of cottage cheese (it kind of grosses me out)

- A mini-bite of yogurt

- pureed egg salad... one-half shot glass.

Liquids are still best for me. I posted my Power shake recipie on another email, but here it is again. I love this, it tastes great and has 53 Grams of Protein:

CINDRELLA'S POWER SHAKE

-- Throw a handful of mini ice-cubes in the bottom of a blender.

-- 1/4-C liquid yogurt (I prefer Trader Joe's Organic Probiotic Yogurt Shake, but Dannon liquid Yogurt will do. Flavored is OK.)

-- 1/4-C skim milk plus

-- 1 Scoop of powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Chocolate or Vanilla Protein Powder

-- If you've had any diarreha, toss in a splash of Pedialyte.

Blend on Liquefy

YUM...

Also, I am starting to have some BMs, but they are loose. I guess that is to be expected until your stomach adjusts.

Be well, everyone...

Rainy

Blend on Liquify

Glad to hear u are doing well but I am extremely confused. What are your Dr's guidelines for what u are allowed to be eating? I know some Dr's are more lenient with the post op diet but im really shocked that u are having this kind of stuff 5 days out.

Again, glad ur doing well but I'm super curious as to what your guidelines are?

(Mine are 10 days clear liquid, 10 days full liquid, 10 days Mushies)

Glad to hear u are doing well but I am extremely confused. What are your Dr's guidelines for what u are allowed to be eating? I know some Dr's are more lenient with the post op diet but im really shocked that u are having this kind of stuff 5 days out.

Again, glad ur doing well but I'm super curious as to what your guidelines are?

(Mine are 10 days clear liquid, 10 days full liquid, 10 days Mushies)

WOW! That IS restrictive!!! In my program, they wouldn't even let you leave the hospital until you could tolerate mushies... oatmeal, to be exact.

When you get home, for three weeks you eat mushies, which include pureed food... cottage cheese, oatmeal, Greek yogurt, soft boiled egg, pureed tuna salad OR chicken salad, anything mushy.

However, they specify really TINY quantities... like 1/8-C pureed tuna salad and 1/4 Cup chicken broth is lunch.

liquids DO feel best, however... lol. Maybe I'll dial it back a bit and cleve to the power shakes for the rest of the week.

Thanks for the good advice!

My diet is also restrictive, first day after surgery was only Clear Liquids. Then 14 days of liquid-protein drinks, yogurt, Jello, low fat cream soups-strained. After 2 weeks I can move to mushies but no meat until week 4. then very gradually. My doctor's office has never had anyone with a leak with following this diet. I am looking forward to having some mashed potatoes but I am more than willing to wait for it. The thought of mushies scare me right now. I am just focusing on liquids and getting my Proteins in.

Hi Everyone... just an update. SEVEN days out... and still no problems with my "early mushies" diet.

Granted, I can eat only the teeniest, tiniest bits of food, but no leaks or staple pulls so far. I have lost 16 pounds since the day I went in for surgery, how about those numbers?

My nutritionist said that on the follow-up eating plan we have, we are getting between 440-500 calories a day. She said that now, instead of counting calories we need to count Protein, and that's why we do the "mushy meats," to help us get up to that 40-60 grams per day.

Myself, I knock it all out in one fell swoop with a power shake, but it also counts that I might eat an ounce of cottage cheese here, and an ounce of pureed egg salad there....

Good luck to everyone, I'm happily embarking on Week 2 of my journey1

Hello Sleevers... today I am five days out from surgery. Woke up this moring feeling much more "normal" than any day since surgery.

Not much pain, not really any nausea, but my stomach does make HORRIBLE noises as soon as I eat anything. Sounds like a garbage disposal, LOL... how long till THAT passes?

Yesterday I had trouble getting all my liquids in, but doing much better today with them. it is really a CONCENTRATED effort to get all the liquids in they want you to, though, but I know it is really important.

Cups of Cammomile tea help, and count as the Water part.

It is almost SCARY how little I can eat. I mean, we're talking about eating a thimble full of food and I feel stuffed, and am belching and gurgling. I expected that I could only eat a tiny but I guess I just couldn't imagine how LITTLE of anything I can eat.

One surprise is that, maybe this didn't happen to everyone, but my tastes seem to have changed. I am not hungry AT ALL, and when I do eat, any kind of meat seems absolutely repulsive to me. I can't even imagine eating red meat, and tuna and even chicken and turkey seem very unappealing.

Also, the biggest surprise is that chocolate tastes GROSS to me... yuk, it's like almost slimy tasting. I now seem to crave vanilla. Is it sujpposed to happen that your tastes flip around???

So here is the best thing that I can eat...

- One half of a shot glass full of mashed potatoes, with a little gravy.

- One half of a shot glass full of mashed sweet potato. No butter, a little pepper.

- One half of a shot glass of mashed advocado

- A mini-bite of cottage cheese (it kind of grosses me out)

- A mini-bite of yogurt

- pureed egg salad... one-half shot glass.

Liquids are still best for me. I posted my Power shake recipie on another email, but here it is again. I love this, it tastes great and has 53 Grams of Protein:

CINDRELLA'S POWER shake

-- Throw a handful of mini ice-cubes in the bottom of a blender.

-- 1/4-C liquid yogurt (I prefer Trader Joe's Organic Probiotic Yogurt Shake, but Dannon liquid Yogurt will do. Flavored is OK.)

-- 1/4-C skim milk plus

-- 1 Scoop of unjury chocolate or Vanilla Protein powder

-- If you've had any diarreha, toss in a splash of Pedialyte.

Blend on Liquefy

YUM...

Also, I am starting to have some BMs, but they are loose. I guess that is to be expected until your stomach adjusts.

Be well, everyone...

Rainy

Blend on Liquify

Wow you are already on mushies, thats nice!! I am 2 weeks and still on full liquids, I was wondering

what is liquid yogurt?? Does the yogurt that comes in the cups ok or does it have to be liquid??

That is a really good idea, I am having a hard time getting all my liquids in it seems that after I sip a few times I get full and it starts coming back up in my throat.

Thanks lisa

I was wondering what is liquid yogurt?? .

Thanks lisa

Hi Lisa: Maybe the liquid yogurt would help you. Regular yogurt is fine too, I was just looking for ways to cram more Protein into my 'Protein shake," and adding the liquid yogurt is one. There are a number of different brands... it is sold right beside the regular Yogurt in the dairy case. They usually come in 4 little plastic bottles packed together.

They are much thinner than regular yogurt, so easier to get down.

Dannon calls their liquid yogurt line "Dan Active," or "Daranimals (for kids). Trader Joe's calls their brand "Organic Yogurt Probiotic smoothie." They're great!

Good luck with the rest of your liquids phase. I keep reminding myself, "this is just a few weeks out of your life... and you're getting thinner!"

Cinderella

Instead of counting calories we need to count Protein, and that's why we do the "mushy meats," to help us get up to that 40-60 grams per day.

Myself, I knock it all out in one fell swoop with a power shake, but it also counts that I might eat an ounce of cottage cheese here, and an ounce of pureed egg salad there....

Hihi. Was interested to see that someone else was put on mushies before leaving the hospital. I thought I was the only one!

I was given Water, tea and clear Soup on day 2, and yoghurt and liquidated salmon/mash potato before I left. Been able to eat about a tablespoon of food from day 4, and now about three tablespoons. I've had no issues at all. Granted some days all I could tolerate is creamed Soup and yoghurt, in fact I still get days like that now if my tummy feels sensitive.

Oh I just thought it might be worth mentioning that I read somewhere that your body can only absorb 25g of Protein at any one time, so it is better to space it out into two shakes throughout the day rather than trying to get the whole 40-60g in at one time. Not sure how true that is, but might be worth some investigation in case you aren't absorbing as much as you think

:) Best of luck with it!