Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am about 7.5 weeks post op and haven't had issues with Constipation until earlier this week. I don't understand why I was doing okay, and now the constipation!! UGH! I can't remember how many days since I had had a bowel movement, but when I finally did, I had several in one day and they were HUGE, so big they hurt. Sorry if this is TMI. Later that night, I had severe pain, but it was higher up in my abdomen, kinda right underneath my breasts, and it went all the way across the front. It felt like the pain was under my ribs. It also hurt in my back too. I don't know if it was related, or gas pain, or what. But it HURT bad. It was hard to breathe because it would hurt everytime I did. I almost went to the ER, but then it passed. Anyway, I don't know if that was all related to the constipatin or not. Now, I have not had a BM since those big ones the other day and I am starting to freak out. That was on Wednesday, so its only been 2 days, but I still feel like I need to go and I can't! I only lost 2 pounds last week (I weigh on mondays), but I think because I was so full of crap! LOL! From monday-wednesday I lost 3 pounds. So, what can I take? Can I take benefiber? I thought the dr said no Fiber, so I am not sure what I can take. I guess I could call the office, but I thought people here would be more helpful!

I take benefiber and when that doesn't work my Dr said I could take other laxatives, like senoket. I suffer from really bad Constipation now, and it's not nice at all! I think that other pain that went to you're back could be something else, do you still have a gallbladder? I would get checked just in case. Good luck!

Im pre op and have changed my eating style somewhat.. and now I have Constipation too! I hate it! So I have been adding a sugar free metamusel like product, making sure I drink enought Water. Its getting a little better, but not 100% yet. My Doc said that Iron and vit D can give you constipation too.. I have been taking those, so maybe thats part of it....our poor bums!sad.gif

I had a horrible problem with Constipation and when I did go, it was exactly as you described. My doc recommended good ol' Milk of Magnesia. It worked wonderfully for me.

I take benefiber and when that doesn't work my Dr said I could take other laxatives, like senoket. I suffer from really bad Constipation now, and it's not nice at all! I think that other pain that went to you're back could be something else, do you still have a gallbladder? I would get checked just in case. Good luck!

I was thinking gallbladder too. Yes, I still have mine. But I thought gallbladder pain was up into the shoulder. I didn't have any shoulder pain. I guess everyone can be different. It is not hurting now. I hope it doesn't hurt like that ever again!

I just bought some benefiber today. It says you can take 3 doses in 1 day, and I have taken 2 so far. I hope things start moving! UGH!

I am about 7.5 weeks post op and haven't had issues with Constipation until earlier this week. I don't understand why I was doing okay, and now the constipation!! UGH! I can't remember how many days since I had had a bowel movement, but when I finally did, I had several in one day and they were HUGE, so big they hurt. Sorry if this is TMI. Later that night, I had severe pain, but it was higher up in my abdomen, kinda right underneath my breasts, and it went all the way across the front. It felt like the pain was under my ribs. It also hurt in my back too. I don't know if it was related, or gas pain, or what. But it HURT bad. It was hard to breathe because it would hurt everytime I did. I almost went to the ER, but then it passed. Anyway, I don't know if that was all related to the constipatin or not. Now, I have not had a BM since those big ones the other day and I am starting to freak out. That was on Wednesday, so its only been 2 days, but I still feel like I need to go and I can't! I only lost 2 pounds last week (I weigh on mondays), but I think because I was so full of crap! LOL! From monday-wednesday I lost 3 pounds. So, what can I take? Can I take benefiber? I thought the dr said no fiber, so I am not sure what I can take. I guess I could call the office, but I thought people here would be more helpful!

MOM. Milk of magnisia, the only thing that worked for me, and didn't cause cramping. :rolleyes:

I am about 7.5 weeks post op and haven't had issues with Constipation until earlier this week. I don't understand why I was doing okay, and now the constipation!! UGH! I can't remember how many days since I had had a bowel movement, but when I finally did, I had several in one day and they were HUGE, so big they hurt. Sorry if this is TMI. Later that night, I had severe pain, but it was higher up in my abdomen, kinda right underneath my breasts, and it went all the way across the front. It felt like the pain was under my ribs. It also hurt in my back too. I don't know if it was related, or gas pain, or what. But it HURT bad. It was hard to breathe because it would hurt everytime I did. I almost went to the ER, but then it passed. Anyway, I don't know if that was all related to the constipatin or not. Now, I have not had a BM since those big ones the other day and I am starting to freak out. That was on Wednesday, so its only been 2 days, but I still feel like I need to go and I can't! I only lost 2 pounds last week (I weigh on mondays), but I think because I was so full of crap! LOL! From monday-wednesday I lost 3 pounds. So, what can I take? Can I take benefiber? I thought the dr said no fiber, so I am not sure what I can take. I guess I could call the office, but I thought people here would be more helpful!

I have had a HORRIBLE time off and on since surgery!!! I've tried adding the powder fiber to drinks, I've eaten prunes, I was drinking prune juice. Everything. I don't know how many times I ended up using glycerin suppositories. I finally asked the nurse at my surgeon's office and she said that Miralax has been approved for daily use. She said for me to use it daily until I got regular and then I could stop and then use it as needed. That is what I'm currently doing. I'll be ok for a while, then for some reason, I'll have problems again. Oh....I talked to my PCP when I was in a few weeks ago about Magnesium and she said it would help too. I had been taking it prior to surgery and I had stopped because I didn't want to 'crush' it after surgery for six weeks and I just never started taking it again. I started again after speaking with her....3 per day and I can definitely tell a difference. You might try that. Good luck! I NEVER had problems before surgery!

I have had a HORRIBLE time off and on since surgery!!! I've tried adding the powder fiber to drinks, I've eaten prunes, I was drinking prune juice. Everything. I don't know how many times I ended up using glycerin suppositories. I finally asked the nurse at my surgeon's office and she said that Miralax has been approved for daily use. She said for me to use it daily until I got regular and then I could stop and then use it as needed. That is what I'm currently doing. I'll be ok for a while, then for some reason, I'll have problems again. Oh....I talked to my PCP when I was in a few weeks ago about Magnesium and she said it would help too. I had been taking it prior to surgery and I had stopped because I didn't want to 'crush' it after surgery for six weeks and I just never started taking it again. I started again after speaking with her....3 per day and I can definitely tell a difference. You might try that. Good luck! I NEVER had problems before surgery!

I just bought some Miralax and took some today. I hope it helps soon!!!! UGH! I never had this problem either before surgery. At first I thought I was just not going a lot because I am eating A TON less than before surgery, but last Wednesday I had 4 or more BM's in one day, so I know it was all just in there. I haven't gone yet since Wednesday and its driving me crazy!!!

I just bought some Miralax and took some today. I hope it helps soon!!!! UGH! I never had this problem either before surgery. At first I thought I was just not going a lot because I am eating A TON less than before surgery, but last Wednesday I had 4 or more BM's in one day, so I know it was all just in there. I haven't gone yet since Wednesday and its driving me crazy!!!

I know exactly what you mean. I never even thought about going to the bathroom, and now it seems to be a problem a LOT!!! :) I do think part of it, at least some of the time is because we do eat soooo much less....also, I think part of my problem is I am certain I don't drink enough Water. That is something else I didn't use to "think" about that I think about each and every day!! (how about you??) It may take the Miralax a couple of days, but it will help!

I had this before surgery! It is definitely is from the Protein Drinks. Without getting too descriptive I had to have my cousin bring me suppositories and stool softener at work as I was in so much pain. I had to physically manipulate things to relieve myself. I then called the doctor asap, and was told in increase Water, like that is possible post op and miralax also. I was warned to never let it get like that again as it was the beginning of an impaction.

I know exactly what you mean. I never even thought about going to the bathroom, and now it seems to be a problem a LOT!!! :) I do think part of it, at least some of the time is because we do eat soooo much less....also, I think part of my problem is I am certain I don't drink enough Water. That is something else I didn't use to "think" about that I think about each and every day!! (how about you??) It may take the Miralax a couple of days, but it will help!

I am the same, I never thought about it before surgery, and I use to drink TONS before. Now I have to make sure I even get 32 oz of fluids in. I try to get more, but its soooo hard. I am sure that is adding to this problem. I had to do a 24 hr urine test a few years ago, and I put out 4.5L of urine in 24 hours!!! So, I was probably taking that much or more in!

I had this before surgery! It is definitely is from the Protein drinks. Without getting too descriptive I had to have my cousin bring me suppositories and stool softener at work as I was in so much pain. I had to physically manipulate things to relieve myself. I then called the doctor asap, and was told in increase Water, like that is possible post op and miralax also. I was warned to never let it get like that again as it was the beginning of an impaction.

OUCH!!! I hope it doesn't get to that point! Last time I had a BM it hurt a lot, but I didn't use anything to help it along. Oh gosh, this sucks!!!!

I take half a dose of miralax every day. It works wonders. I have to take Iron and I know that's constipating. I freak out when I forget to take it because I know how badly I need it. Some days if I haven't had much in the way of veggies, I take a colace too. My doctor says this is fine as long as I drink a lot of Water. Luckily, drinking water is not a problem for me.