Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

bulk buying before surgery

I have my VSG surgery planned next month. I'm starting Atkins after thanksgiving (worked out well, eh?) and was planning on taking a trip to costco before then. I plan on buying a bunch of meat/cheese stuff for the pre-op diet, but is there anything I could get there for post-op diet? Since I'll have to drink liquids for 2 weeks, I was thinking buying a bulk thing of slim fast?

My NUT told me that I should not ever use Slim Fast. There is just too much Carbs in them. A Protein Shake fills me more and I like the flavors more. Maybe you can find some sugar free popsicles and crystal light. I also read on here that your taste buds change after surgery so maybe you dont want to buy too much now?

Good Luck to you...my surgery is the 6th and I have only bought a little chicken and beef broth from when I get home.

You need to have a word with your Dr and your Nutritionist for a pre op and post op diet sheet. My advice is don't bulk buy anything, trust me your tastes will changes after surgery and you'll be fed up of certain flavours that you love beforehand!

Do check out the pre and post op diet forum- you'll find lots of threads about both pre and post op diets.... but do ask your Nut and follow theirs..... but the forum will give you a rough idea of what to expect.

So, I was sleeved last week. I had your same thought, and bought a bunch of broths and stuff. The thing is, I don't think that pre-op most people can visualize how little food you will be eating. There are a couple of exceptions: Crystal Light powder and SF popsicles. Everything else, I've got too much of: broth, etc. By the way, mushroom broth by itself tastes horrible -- like dirt mixed with mold.

So, if you live a bit far from a Wal-mart or a costco, maybe it makes sense to get Crystal Light or SF popsicles. Though honestly, if you don't have them post-op then you have something do do those first days where you have some minor aches and pains --- walk around the supermarket. You need to walk post-op, so it might as well be in the grocer's

Also, as much as I try, my family doesn't want to touch what I'm eating. So it's not shared, and after doing a low carb pre-op diet, my taste for sugar went down dramatically. Now sugary things are repulsive. So your tastes are going to change.

My whole approach to food is different. Out with bulk, in with tiny portions and the most expensive gourmet items that I can find. I'm just not consuming enough for it to matter.

If you are running to costco, there is a ready to drink Protein Shake they sell. It is chocale flavored and under the brandname Premier Nutrition. Not too bad tasting either with 30g of Protein. Check with your NUT to be sure they are cool with you taking that.

My surgeon has two phases of liquids. The first is clear...no milk or creamy liquids. Then I get to move to "full liquids". Those include creamy Soups, milk, Protein Shakes. Then I get to move to mushies. They gave me sample menus and days planned out for me. Did you have to have any meetings with your nutritionist or classes you had to take?

good luck to you...hope that helps.

I guess I'm confused on what I should be eating (drinking) after the procedure. I know it's all-liquid diet, is a Protein Shake considered "liquid" enough for this then?

There are a couple of exceptions: Crystal Light powder and SF popsicles.

Okay, I'll stock up on this stuff tonight when i go to costco. It's exciting hear all of these "your appetite will change" stories. Exciting!

You need to have a word with your Dr and your Nutritionist for a pre op and post op diet sheet. My advice is don't bulk buy anything, trust me your tastes will changes after surgery and you'll be fed up of certain flavours that you love beforehand!

Do check out the pre and post op diet forum- you'll find lots of threads about both pre and post op diets.... but do ask your Nut and follow theirs..... but the forum will give you a rough idea of what to expect.

Ah thanks for the link, I'll look into that. I actually don't have a nutritionist to talk to as I'm getting my surgery done in Mexico. I have a sheet that I should be doing Atkins 2 weeks out and then a colon cleanse = Clear Liquids after that. But it doesn't say anything about after the procedure. I hope they will talk to me about it when I'm in Mexico.