Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery next week... HELP with Protein!

Hi everyone, surgery is next Monday November 29,2010 I am so excited. I'm happy excited and nervous excited. I have been very positive and optimistic about this whole change of lifestyle until Saturday when I tried a chocolate Protein Shake. It was so nasty! I have to have Protein but what will be healthy for me and not taste like hell?? Afterwards I brought my EAS Protein Shakes back to Walmart and ordered an unflavored whey protein case from GNC. I haven't received anything yet but I am worried about how to use it. How effective will that be in broth and with crystal light?? Is that sufficiant enough protein? Should I try something else? Are there any good Protein Drinks out there? I have seen ppl complain about protein shakes on this site before and thought nothing if it... I just assumed that my shakes would taste like sweet chocolate milk or smoothies. What can I do now??

As I type, I'm enjoying my first "full liquid" since my surgery on Thursday. I am having some non fat Greek yogurt with some nectar brand "fuzzy navel" Protein powder in it and a little bit of splenda. My two ounces provides 11 grams of Protein. Prior to my surgery I tried some other things. I mixed unjury unflavored into ff/sf pudding which tasted completely regular and I put some Unjury chocolate into skim milk which wasn't completely horrible. I've been told the unflavored works well in sugar free Jello provided you do the boiling Water separate from the protein and mix the protein in with the cold and combine the two once the Jello has dissolved and cooled a bit.

Key is, there are lots of ways to disguise your Protein Powder. Get the high quality ones.....it's ok to spend a little extra, your food bill is definitely smaller. I've been really happy with the unjury and the best price I found for it is on Amazon.com

Don't let your fear of protein deter you from the task at hand. You're on a mission for a healthier life and the liquid diet is short term. Once you can eat regular food again, if you always do protein first you should be able to avoid protein drinks all together.

Try some different powders and recipes. It will be ok. Good luck!

The Protein thing is definitely trial and error. For a while after surgery, I couldn't even taste any of them it was so disgusting. I ordered the unjury unflavored powder samples and the smell coming out of the packet was overwhelming - for me anyway. The taste was just as bad. That was totally unexpected! Other people don't smell or taste it.

I finally settled on the Jay Robb powders and the Isopure RTD fruity drinks. I was gradually able to tolerate some of the other RTD shake type drinks, but never to the degree I could before surgery. I sucked the Atkins shakes down for my low carb preop diet but they made me puke post op. Focus on buying samples and trying individual servings until you find what works. Go into Vitamin Shoppe or GNC and buy a few things at a time. Don't buy any big containers of anything until you're sure. DON'T GIVE UP ON THIS! You will need your Protein supplements for a while.

I found Premier Protein shakes from costco to be very tasty, rich and smooth. You can also order them from Amazon. You get 30 grams of Protein per serving. Also as stated above the no flavor whey protien mixes well with pudding and yogurt as well as hot Cereal providing you let it cool to the package's stated temperature to add protein.

Check out the link for ordering samples because even if you find one tolerable now, post-op your tastes can change, and the ones you order may not work for you. I wouldn't buy any tubs or large quantities until after surgery, and you know which ones work. Also, some of us develop lactose intolerance, and whey is a milk product so even if it tastes good, you might not be able to tolerate it. I experienced all of that, the tastes changing, the lactose intolerance, and couldn't use any of the Protein drinks, and lacked Protein until I got to mushies and could get protein from food sources.

Here's the link for ordering protein samples: Read through the entire topic as people have added reviews, and other sources to get samples.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/1267-places-to-get-liquid-protein-samples/

You can also check out this entire forum for protein suggestions, and reviews from other users, here is the link:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/forum/78-protein-drinkspowders/

Also, here is a link with an ENORMOUS list of Protein Drink recipes that might help make some of them more tolerable:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/5906-a-huge-list-of-protein-drink-recipes/

Hi everyone, surgery is next Monday November 29,2010 I am so excited. I'm happy excited and nervous excited. I have been very positive and optimistic about this whole change of lifestyle until Saturday when I tried a chocolate Protein shake. It was so nasty! I have to have Protein but what will be healthy for me and not taste like hell?? Afterwards I brought my EAS protein shakes back to Walmart and ordered an unflavored whey protein case from GNC. I haven't received anything yet but I am worried about how to use it. How effective will that be in broth and with crystal light?? Is that sufficiant enough protein? Should I try something else? Are there any good protein drinks out there? I have seen ppl complain about Protein Shakes on this site before and thought nothing if it... I just assumed that my shakes would taste like sweet chocolate milk or smoothies. What can I do now??

I have the EAS myoplex and i got where i couldn't stand one more sip, so i bought the magic bullet or a blender if you have one, and i add crushed ice a tablspoon of Peanut Butter or 1/2 banana or both LOl and it changes the taste completely and the texture, its like a chocolate milk shake..yummy. i also take the banana's and cut them in half and put them in the freezer in a freezer bag and they keep fresh dont turn color and when you make your smoothie it makes it cold and frothy...try it, i bet you'll like it......vicki :)