Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Such A Cheater!!!

Ok, so I was finally banded on June 5th after waiting for soooo long and I was determined to be compliant and not cheat.

However.... of course I did! I'm really torn about how I feel about it too, because on one hand of course I feel bad for not following the rules, but on the other hand I have been literally faint from not eating much substence (it's a Protein issue maybe?) so my body is so happy that I gave it something with substance. :hungry:

My doc wants me on clear and full liquids for 3 weeks. I'm only 1/2 way in. I feel AWESOME, am back at work, drinking 8-10 glasses of Water daily with no problem, minimal pain and only at port site and seemingly no restriction.

I'm curious, what is the definition of a full liquid? Does it still have to be sucked through a straw? Because my food list says clear/full liquids, but also has yogurt listed, which I never thought of as a liquid..

Ok.. here are the foods I "cheated" with:

Cottage cheese - 1/4 cup

Chili (blended, so still pretty liquidy) 1/2 cup

tuna w/mayo (about 3 bites)

So here's my question/plea for help :help:

1st - do you think I've hurt anything by eating these foods? I made sure to chew chew chew chew as well as I could and ate very slowly at all.

2nd - Am I just beyond hope?! I'm really mad at myself for not being able to stick to the liquid thing for 3 weeks and while I'm certainly not throwing up my hands and quitting (how could I :) ) I know the next week and a half are going to be really hard!

I'd really like to hear from other people who have "cheated" even if on healthy foods. I know my doctor is conservative in his liquid stage, how long were other people on liquids before they could go to mushies?

Please, no negative comments - I'm beating myself up enough on my own. I'm just wondering if anyone else felt like this or did this and how it turned out. Of course encouraging words are always welcome.

Please tell me I'm normal!!!

Congrats on being banded. I was banded June 8th. My understanding of the clear Fluid diet is that it was to reduce the risk of damaging your new, smaller stomach pouch. The full Fluid diet I believe is for the same reason.

Your stomach is still in healing mode.....not so sure about the chili?

Did you hurt your stomach?.......I think that's a question for your Doctor.

Good Luck

Carol

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm supposed to be doing mushies. I've had a few things that are soft, but not mushy. My doc said to work my way back up to regular food over the next two weeks. I haven't eaten chips or anything hard, but I have eaten some stuff that was chunky and chewed it well--like Wendy's chili. I'm a little scared myself. I haven't had any pain or problems. Everything goes down well.

3and a half weeks oh my

I was only on liquids for 1 week then 1 week of mushies and then i got to gradually add in solids now i know each doctor is different.... but he is to extreme. How long do you have to do mushies?

On the other hand I dont think you are doing any damage to yourself...

Good luck

Do not feel bad. I am guilty also. I had homemade chicken Soup today and chili too. I have tried to stay on the soft food diet but it is really difficult. The same food begins to become so boring. I have not had any pain either so I think we are probably ok. We probably shouldn't push our luck though. I am going to try to get back to soft foods only starting tomorrow.

Do not say cheater. Say you are a human...going through the starter stags of banding is so hard and of course you want to test the limits. Just remind yourself of all you have been through to get to the point of being banded and that you want to stay that way.

Trust me, these 6 weeks may seem like they are taking forever, but enjoy its simplicity. Take it slowly so that you can heal properly and take advantage of all the benefits of being banded.

One thing that I realized was not to be afraid to call your surgeon's office or your nutritionist with these questions...so if you want to know something about extending your diet give he/she a call.

Hello Cheaters........jk I was right there with you!! I only lasted about 5 days post surgery on liquids and then off to mushies. That lasted about 2 weeks and then I started eating soft foods. I was calling my girlfriend who had the surgery in September and asking her about everything that I put into my mouth!! As long as you don't abuse it and are smart about what it is that your eating your FINE!! I lived on Taco Bell refried Beans and cheese, cream of wheat and baked potatoes for 2 weeks. (that was during the mushy stage) I had surgery on 4/3/06 and I have lost 48lbs (as of yesterday). That does include the 17lbs I lost prior to surgery date. Everyone is different and all bodies are different, you will know what works for you. As long as your not over eating, eating fast, drinking things with sugar, drinking carbonated drinks, eating ice cream or picking inbetween meals you will be fine!! I can pretty much eat anything now ( I do stay away from red meat and breads), BUT I eat slowly and in moderation. That along with working out is the key!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Um, if you cheated then I am really guilty. My Doc said 3 weeks liquids and 2 weeks mushies...HA! I am in the mushies 10 days out...oops!

You know, I think some doctors take the whole liquid phase to the ridiculously extreme. I had my surgery on a Friday. My doctor told me liquids only until my follow-up appointment which was 10 days later on a Monday. However, he told me if I was really hungry, I could try something soft like scrambled eggs over the weekend. When I went for my follow-up he released me to real food. He just told me to stay away from meat and anything real tough for a week or so. Basically, as long as my system tolerated it, I ate it.

I wouldn't worry if I were you, I think some docs are just overly cautious. JMO though.

My doctor told me that the deal behind the post op liquids is so you allow scar tissue to develop over the sutures that are holding the band in place. If you go to fast and eat you can stretch the pouch and pop the sutures, which would allow the band to slip. Even if he's going to extremes with scare tactics, it worked. Now I cheated, I am not gonna lie, but I cried after! OMG - I knEw I busted my sutures and that band WAs loose. :eek: I punished myself worse than anyone could but now I'm back on track. The main thing I cheated on was I had cream of wheat during my post-op liquid phase and I had a bite of salmon. I chewed and chewed and chewed and chewed it before i swallowed. Everyone is human and it happens. I just figure it isn't forever and I can do it. Why test the limits and risk stretching my pouch or popping my sutures? GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!! :clap2:

I had surgery four days ago and I am eating watered down mashed potatoes. I dont know what my damage is. i guess the same damage that demanded banding in the first place. I feel like such a failure in a way but three weeks of liquids only is tough !! I just pray that nothing has slipped or popped. Especially since i have had sex too :eek: :P:) I guess we'll see how it goes at follow up. Hang in there and cut yourself a break. We're all going and growing day to day. Hugs

Violet

I had surgery on June 20th and was a bit bad.

My surgeon is cautious and I had a 5 day stay but I was grateful as I was rather suffering.

In any case I left hospital and stuck to liquids for a few more days.

I was advised to stick to liquid and yoghurt for 3 weeks. Couldn't do it so made some thinner pureed Soups and broths, and 2 weeks in have been pureeing very small meals up that my family are eating and adding Fluid to it to make it runnier. Hope this is not causing any damage.

I also ate a few very very tiny bites of other things really really well chewed but now I'm being more prudent and liquidising everything.

What concerns me is that my doctor hasn't really provided me with a diet plan, and when I questioned him a few times he just said:

Tea/coffee and juice and yoghurt for Breakfast

Fluids rest of time.

Nothing else really and I cant function on this at work. Not sure where to get a diet plan from now! Or what to do!

Help!

:help:

If you guys are cheating or damaging your band than what am I doing?

My doctor said all liquids (broth, Water, juice) for the first 4 days and then and I quote from my handout

liquid diet for first 2 weeks:

"same as above, 'blenderized Soup, skim milk, suger free Jello, popsicles, mashed potatoes, light yogurt, suger-free pudding, cottage cheese, oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat, no sugar added apple sauce.'

Protein supplements for 3 of 6 meals."

Soft diet for weeks 3-6:

"soft fruit, cooked veggies except corn, fish, seafood, soft Pasta (well chewed), eggs, toast or crackers.'

Protein supplements for 2 of 6 meals."

I've has most of the foods on the "liquid diet" list and I feel fine but am I damaging myself? I guess I have to trust the doctor.

I ate wendy's chili today..... 10 days post op. I chewed and chewed. IT went down fine..... I guess I am a cheater too. However, I have not been hungry at all until the past two days.............. I will try to stick to liquids only for the next 7 days.......... Who knows?