Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Itsy Bitsy Spider Sleeve Gastrectomy

I am new here but need to share what I have learned that may hopefully help others. I did my research and knew that the Gastric Sleeve procedure was what I would have, fortunately my insurer recently approved the procedure so I was eligible. What I didn't know at the time is that my surgeon was one of 2 in the nation that would be utilizing a new technology to perform the surgery. There is a company named TransEnterix that has engineered a new and innovative instrument "Spider" to allow a single incision that will receive multiple instruments. It was pretty amazing to awake from surgery and learn that I was the second patient in the entire US to have a sleeve with this method.

I was out on a family outing on my 5th post op day. I returned to work from home (email, conference calls, etc) on day 7. The umbilical incision is very small and soon will be unnoticeable. The surgery has given me the freedom to return to my former active life style. I have absolutely no regrets and would encourage anyone that is considering a bariatric procedure to consider a single incision spider sleeve. My Dr. is Dr. Robert Marema US Bariatrics and Flagler Hospital in St Augustine, Fl. I can tell you from experience that it was also worth traveling a distance to see a surgeon with such technical expertise. Dr Marema is also a bariatric patient and has assembled a team of skilled professionals that will assist you through your entire weight loss journey. Due to other health conditions I have had the opportunity to travel to some very large and influential medical centers such as mayo, Vanderbilt, etc. I can honestly say that receiving care at Flagler Hospital pre- and post- procedure has been the best medical experience I have had. The clinical care is literally second to none, they are a Center of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery and one piece of advice "in network" does NOT mean "in your zip code". I have learned the HARD way to seek out the best of the best for any type of surgical intervention. If you would like details on how I arrived at that knowledge I will be happy to share my miracle survival story with you...email me at seemel150@gmail.com. As soon as I can download some pics I will be happy to post my before and after....and show you my little single abdominal scar! Best of Luck to all of you who are beginning this journey. I am happy to say that I am finally off the roller coaster and at a little over 3 months I am only about 15 lbs from my goal...YAY!

I was the second to have this surgery at Kaiser So. San Francisco, surgeon is Dr. Alami. My surgery was Sept. 29. It's great to have such little scaring.

Dr. Alami told me that there are several manufactures of the instruments, but the one he used on me was the best of the group. I think more and more surgeons are looking into this approach. :rolleyes:

Hi RK - I do wish you well. I think you will have a similar experience. The procedure was a little longer but I didn't mind because I was asleep. The pain is well controlled after, I had a pca and then by the second day on oral medication. The most challenging part initially was getting all of the recommended fluids in and remembering all of the post op instructions. But it does get easier every day, Best of luck to you!!!

I'm undergoing a similar surgery next week from the only surgeon in India who does this. He's also featured in a national newspaper. Read it here: One inch wonder

Wish me good luck :)

Rk.

Hi RK - I do wish you well. I think you will have a similar experience. The procedure was a little longer but I didn't mind because I was asleep. The pain is well controlled after, I had a pca and then by the second day on oral medication. The most challenging part initially was getting all of the recommended fluids in and remembering all of the post op instructions. But it does get easier every day, Best of luck to you!!!

Thanks a lot.. I will keep you all updated.

This is so interesting! Best of luck to you both. Technology is always moving ahead.....

Wish I only had one scar!

I want to get a single incision VSG. I don't know if there are any surgeons in Michigan that do it like that.....is there?

I want to get a single incision VSG. I don't know if there are any surgeons in Michigan that do it like that.....is there?

I understand that at the moment there are only 2 surgeons in the country that utilize the spider technology to perform the sleeve. My surgeon Dr. Robert Marema and is at Flagler hospital in St Augustine, Fl. They have a hospital concierge (Angel Gulick) that will help you coordinate if you choose to travel for surgery and an awesome support network. I spent a week there in St Augustine, only 2 nights in the hospital. I know that some insurance companies even reimburse you for mileage, hotel, and meals if you are traveling more than 100 miles for your care.

I was first going to have my surgery at mayo in Jacksonville...then I discovered that they were out of network with my insurance (which they failed to notify me of) they wanted to limit me to only a band procedure, I wasn't given a choice, and they were not a Center of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery...so I started to do my homework and I actually moved once I found Dr. Marema. The staff was incredibly helpful in guiding me to obtain the right paperwork and records as well as scheduling me for visits and follow up on my schedule.

I do hope that you find the right place and surgeon and wish you well on your journey. If I can answer any more questions for you I am happy to.

Do you happen to work for this doctor or in any way have you agreed to advertise for his procedure posing as a patient? Because your post sounds rather like a member of the staff and not a real patient. I shared your post on another WLS thread and that was the response most everyone had, that you don't sound like a patient. Whatever, I'm not judging, just wondering if you are for real. Thanks

I understand that at the moment there are only 2 surgeons in the country that utilize the spider technology to perform the sleeve. My surgeon Dr. Robert Marema and is at Flagler hospital in St Augustine, Fl. They have a hospital concierge (Angel Gulick) that will help you coordinate if you choose to travel for surgery and an awesome support network. I spent a week there in St Augustine, only 2 nights in the hospital. I know that some insurance companies even reimburse you for mileage, hotel, and meals if you are traveling more than 100 miles for your care.

I was first going to have my surgery at mayo in Jacksonville...then I discovered that they were out of network with my insurance (which they failed to notify me of) they wanted to limit me to only a band procedure, I wasn't given a choice, and they were not a Center of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery...so I started to do my homework and I actually moved once I found Dr. Marema. The staff was incredibly helpful in guiding me to obtain the right paperwork and records as well as scheduling me for visits and follow up on my schedule.

I do hope that you find the right place and surgeon and wish you well on your journey. If I can answer any more questions for you I am happy to.

I am a Registered Nurse, I have done a lot of research on the hospital and surgeon. Unfortunately due to much illness over the past 4 years, I have been immersed in doing research on rare health conditions, technical procedures, etc. I also spent the past 8 years working in the medical device industry and a primary role for me was training other nurses (Injection and Infusion products) on the device use in hospitals. I am sorry if I sound so corporate, I guess that part of me turns on when writing as I have been writing that way for so long.

I am on this site for support and joined a similar board on Obesity help prior to surgery to research the procedure and surgeons. I was very excited to be able to have only one incision and wanted to share that with the rest of the community. When I researched the lap procedures I understood I would have at least 3 and up to 6 abdominal incisions.

In 2006, I had a biopsy procedure done, I had multiple incisions, it was supposed to be an outpatient procedure...I woke up in ICU with a lot of equipment attached to me. I spent 37 days in the hospital recovering from a surgical site infection, this incident almost took my life. I thank God that he has restored me to health. My family has been affected by poor health care- my mother also acquired an infection in the hospital and as a very poorly controlled diabetic was unable to fight the infection. My sister had a simple operation (appendectomy) in 2008. She woke up with a pretty severe burn on her face and a permanent scar. She has schizophrenia, and I was quite disgusted when the hospital staff tried to convince her that she had a cold sore. I was furious. I couldn't believe they could just lie to her. She didn't have the "cold sore" before surgery I took her picture in the ER bed on my cell phone. (Now she has an attorney and a pretty solid law suit)

I do feel a passion for helping others and that I am supposed to use this pretty tragic experience to guide others to find good health care. I had 2 months of home nursing care and it took another 5 months to even begin feeling like myself again. I learned a lot from this experience and when I find clinical excellence in health care and new and innovative ways to protect patients from incidents like this I do get excited. I have posted my story about this experience on boards about health care acquired infections, have become kind of an activist in a way - I want everyone to know they have to be a true advocate for themselves. They have to know that this can happen and minimally invasive like a single incision surgery can minimize the opportunity for infection.

I can assure you I am for real. I have fought weight issues my entire life. It started in the 3rd grade up and down...I am so happy to have found my way to the smallest size I have ever been. The other day my husband lost me in the grocery store. When I asked him where he had been he stated he couldn't find me..."I just don't recognize you from behind anymore" WOW!

Do you happen to work for this doctor or in any way have you agreed to advertise for his procedure posing as a patient? Because your post sounds rather like a member of the staff and not a real patient. I shared your post on another WLS thread and that was the response most everyone had, that you don't sound like a patient. Whatever, I'm not judging, just wondering if you are for real. Thanks

Thank you for the great information. . . however, i had the traditional sleeve done with the little laproscopic incisions and as of today (1 year out) I have NO scars from that surgery. . .actually I have to "hunt" for the possibility of where they may be. . . isn't that incredible! My doctor is amazing! Dr. Ramiro "Sonny" Cavazos in San Antonio! Thanks and Cheers for the New Year!

Congratulations to you! I couldn't be happier that I chose to have the sleeve. I had seen a lot of pictures on the web of people with scars on the belly and I was surprised when from a distance you cannot tell my belly button was cut. You have to share if you used anything special for prevention of scars, or maybe they all just fade naturally? I am really happy to hear that as my sister n law wanted a sleeve but ended up with a bypass and couldn't have that with one incision she is concerned about the scars.

Happy New Year!

Thank you for the great information. . . however, i had the traditional sleeve done with the little laproscopic incisions and as of today (1 year out) I have NO scars from that surgery. . .actually I have to "hunt" for the possibility of where they may be. . . isn't that incredible! My doctor is amazing! Dr. Ramiro "Sonny" Cavazos in San Antonio! Thanks and Cheers for the New Year!

While I haven't gotten my sleeve yet, I did have to have my gallbladder removed some years ago due to gallstones. Just like the sleeve, doctors will utilize laprascopic procedures for this type of surgery as well. Here I am, 7 years out from that surgery, and I have ZERO scarring from the surgery. While I get why people would be so excited about having only one incision, I'm willing to bet the scars from having it done laprasopically will heal up just as nicely. Just sayin....for those of you not having the procedure done using the one incision approach, I wouldn't worry too much about scars.