Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Itsy Bitsy Spider Sleeve Gastrectomy

Please understand this is not an attack on SeeMel3. But she has unintentionally provided a lot of MISINFORMATION in her statements re:the spider. SeeMel3 research was totally flawed and one would hope a simple Google search would have been done by her first before posting this thread. First error: The spider is one instrument with three "arms" which open up after inserted into one incision, not multiple instruments as SeeMel3 states. Next, error you were not the second person in the nation to have this surgery as it has been around for almost a year now. March 2010 to be exact. Read below for correct information on SPIDER surgery. You can even watch a video of the spider.

Dr. Quebbemann was first barriatric surgeon to use the spider in the US and was a clinical trial surgeon for this new tool. See thread for backup of this claim. http://slimfitmama.c...er-gastrectomy/ Dr. Brian Quebbemann can be seen on The Doctor's TV Show demonstrating the spider. Here is a video link to that show on The Doctor's TV show. http://www.thedoctor...re&init_id=2870 Alex - this website creator also has a link to TransEnterix article that talks about Dr. Quebbemann's experience with spider. http://www.verticals...-press-release/

To all - if you are considering the spider - get an experienced surgeon who has used the spider already. Too many people like SeeMel3 & their surgeons are out there claiming they are the first or second patient of type of procedure...okay, but what your surgeon means is you are first patient your doctor has operated on with a spider, not the second spider procedure in the nation as SeeMel3 incorrrect states. Also, the Spider surgery usually is more expensive and that extra cost may not be covered by insurance.

KNOW THY SURGEON and verify what you read.

SeeMel3, your surgeons claim of you being second patient is false- you are in total error. What other lies did your surgeon tell you? Almost weekly I visit with a patient in SoCal who had spider surgery in early spring 2010. Plus I can name several others at my Dr's office who are more than 5 months out of spider VSG surgery and doing exceedingly well.

Let this be a warning, before making decisions, seeking truth is critical. SeeMel3, I would be livid if I were you used as a guinea pig by your surgeon. Demand answers from your surgeon about why the lies after you get facts from above links, but more importantly - correct your statements above so no one else is mislead from numerous false information provided by you. Too many of us are trusting in statements made on this forum, so now that you have facts - retract your erroneous information.

Hi, I got your message and understand if you are upset with my comments. I did state that there are 2 surgeons in the country doing the surgery, Dr. Marema is on the East Coast. There will be more surgeons moving to it and providing the newest options to their patients. Not every surgeon wants to do this type of surgery, the procedure takes longer than a typical laparascopic bariatric surgery. There was a news feed about my surgery in the press and I will happily send you the link. Yes I did mis-state that multiple instruments were used and I will be happy to correct that comment. I was certainly no guinea pig. My surgeon has been doing laparascopic surgery and he personally has more than 8000 procedures. That comment from you was quite rude and perhaps you should do some research before stating something so derogatory. The most important thing to me was for me to share was who my surgeon was, that he is doing something new and different. This is a forum to share and I of course encourage everyone to do their research. I was pleased to have only one incision and one scar to deal with as I have had multiple scars from at least 7 other surgery experiences. It was very exciting to watch my scar disappear into my belly button. I certainly do not understand your hostility and the tone of your comments. My research is not "totally flawed" I found an excellent surgeon and a hospital where quality health care takes place. If you had bothered to read the rest of my comments you would understand that I am quite passionate about that. I will definitely post the link to the article written about my surgery in July of 2010 below.

(I-Newswire) , July 21, 2010 - SAINT AUGUSTINE, FL (July 21, 2010) – Dr. Robert Marema, one of the nation’s most recognized experts on surgical weight loss, is now the first surgeon in Florida and second in the world to perform a single–incision vertical sleeve gastrectomy using the SPIDER® Surgical System.

Vertical sleeve gastrectomy is the latest and fastest growing type of surgical weight loss procedure, which dramatically minimizes the size of a patient’s stomach. Without using SPIDER, surgeons typically rely on conventional laparoscopic equipment that requires five separate small incisions in a patient’s abdomen – rather than just one.

“The SPIDER minimizes physical stress on patients while also providing cosmetic benefits,” commented Marema. “I simply make one small incision that’s hidden in the patient’s belly button and insert the SPIDER. I then expand the internal portion of the device, similar to expanding an umbrella. This allows me to clearly see the anatomy and accurately perform the operation. When I’m finished, I close the system and remove it through the small incision, leaving almost no visible scar.”

This marks the first time the SPIDER Surgical System has been used to perform this procedure in Florida. Released on a limited basis beginning in March, SPIDER has been used by surgeons to perform other procedures including colon re–sections, kidney and gallbladder removals, and gastric banding.

SPIDER’s proprietary expansion technology is unique – it is not available in any other surgical device today. In addition, SPIDER contains four working channels through which the surgeon inserts a camera and instruments. Two of the channels are flexible, providing surgeons with true left and true right instrumentation, a marked contrast to other single–port instruments that force a surgeon to cross his hands to operate.

“As an individual who has been involved with the evolution of bariatric surgery since its earliest beginnings, I am continuously seeking new ways to improve the experience and outcomes for my patients,” added Marema. “The SPIDER definitely provides several advantages that I am happy to offer as part of our program.”

Marema is the medical director at the Flagler Hospital Bariatric Surgery Center – a Center of Excellence facility located in St. Augustine, Florida. He has performed more than 12,000 bariatric procedures, is a long–standing member of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, Fellow of the American College of Surgery, Diplomat of the American Board of Surgery and a member of the American Medical Association.

TransEnterix, a fast–growing medical device company, created the SPIDER Surgical System. TransEnterix partners with leading medical thought-leaders to rapidly develop pioneering technologies that advance minimally invasive surgery. For more information, visit www.TransEnterix.com.

About Flagler Hospital

Flagler Hospital is a 316-bed acute care hospital that is consistently recognized nationally for overall clinical excellence. HealthGrades has ranked Flagler Hospital among the top 5% of all hospitals in the nation for the past 6 consecutive years. They also named Flagler Hospital as the #1 hospital in the state of Florida for general surgery outcomes in 2009 and 2010. Most recently, the hospital earned accreditation from the Society of Chest Pain Centers. It also has the Gold Seal of Approval™ from The Joint Commission for Primary Stroke Care Centers and Center of Excellence Designation for its Bariatric Surgery Center. For more information about Flagler Hospital, please visit us at www.flaglerhospital.org.

###

Please understand this is not an attack on SeeMel3. But she has unintentionally provided a lot of MISINFORMATION in her statements re:the spider. SeeMel3 research was totally flawed and one would hope a simple Google search would have been done by her first before posting this thread. First error: The spider is one instrument with three "arms" which open up after inserted into one incision, not multiple instruments as SeeMel3 states. Next, error you were not the second person in the nation to have this surgery as it has been around for almost a year now. March 2010 to be exact. Read below for correct information on SPIDER surgery. You can even watch a video of the spider.

Dr. Quebbemann was first barriatric surgeon to use the spider in the US and was a clinical trial surgeon for this new tool. See thread for backup of this claim. http://slimfitmama.c...er-gastrectomy/ Dr. Brian Quebbemann can be seen on The Doctor's TV Show demonstrating the spider. Here is a video link to that show on The Doctor's TV show. http://www.thedoctor...re&init_id=2870 Alex - this website creator also has a link to TransEnterix article that talks about Dr. Quebbemann's experience with spider. http://www.verticals...-press-release/

To all - if you are considering the spider - get an experienced surgeon who has used the spider already. Too many people like SeeMel3 & their surgeons are out there claiming they are the first or second patient of type of procedure...okay, but what your surgeon means is you are first patient your doctor has operated on with a spider, not the second spider procedure in the nation as SeeMel3 incorrrect states. Also, the Spider surgery usually is more expensive and that extra cost may not be covered by insurance.

KNOW THY SURGEON and verify what you read.

SeeMel3, your surgeons claim of you being second patient is false- you are in total error. What other lies did your surgeon tell you? Almost weekly I visit with a patient in SoCal who had spider surgery in early spring 2010. Plus I can name several others at my Dr's office who are more than 5 months out of spider VSG surgery and doing exceedingly well.

Let this be a warning, before making decisions, seeking truth is critical. SeeMel3, I would be livid if I were you used as a guinea pig by your surgeon. Demand answers from your surgeon about why the lies after you get facts from above links, but more importantly - correct your statements above so no one else is mislead from numerous false information provided by you. Too many of us are trusting in statements made on this forum, so now that you have facts - retract your erroneous information.

I am new here but need to share what I have learned that may hopefully help others. I did my research and knew that the Gastric Sleeve procedure was what I would have, fortunately my insurer recently approved the procedure so I was eligible. What I didn't know at the time is that my surgeon was one of 2 in the nation that would be utilizing a new technology to perform the surgery. There is a company named TransEnterix that has engineered a new and innovative instrument "Spider" to allow a single incision.

I was out on a family outing on my 5th post op day. I returned to work from home (email, conference calls, etc) on day 7. The umbilical incision is very small and soon will be unnoticeable. The surgery has given me the freedom to return to my former active life style. I have absolutely no regrets and would encourage anyone that is considering a bariatric procedure to consider a single incision spider sleeve. My Dr. is Dr. Robert Marema US Bariatrics and Flagler Hospital in St Augustine, Fl. I can tell you from experience that it was also worth traveling a distance to see a surgeon with such technical expertise. Dr Marema is also a bariatric patient and has assembled a team of skilled professionals that will assist you through your entire weight loss journey. Due to other health conditions I have had the opportunity to travel to some very large and influential medical centers such as mayo, Vanderbilt, etc. I can honestly say that receiving care at Flagler Hospital pre- and post- procedure has been the best medical experience I have had. The clinical care is literally second to none, they are a Center of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery and one piece of advice "in network" does NOT mean "in your zip code". I have learned the HARD way to seek out the best of the best for any type of surgical intervention. If you would like details on how I arrived at that knowledge I will be happy to share my miracle survival story with you...email me at seemel150@gmail.com. As soon as I can download some pics I will be happy to post my before and after....and show you my little single abdominal scar! Best of Luck to all of you who are beginning this journey. I am happy to say that I am finally off the roller coaster and at a little over 3 months I am only about 15 lbs from my goal...YAY!

mel-about how long did your surgery take? i'm most likely going to use a great surgeon that uses the spider as well ... i have two toddlers so im very interested in the spider for the quicker recovery time more than anything else...have u spoken with sleeve patients and compared the recovery time with spider vs lap???

I had 5 little incisions and I can not hardly tell they are there. I wouldn't panic if you can't have one incision. Get the surgery done. In time maybe this will be the standard, but I am not upset at all that I didn't get it done this way :)